Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-09, 03:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The heated seat control are located where?

What a ridiculous place to put them.....even worse than the 1st gen Cadillac Escalade...
Yep, it's way down there under the console, next to the power-plug....and the 2 switches aren't even laid out left and right like most cars...they're arranged front-to-back.
Old 06-14-09, 04:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Did the previous gen Prius use struts?

How about the first gen?
I believe so, but when a car is an all-new or major redesign like this, you have a chance to upgrade from rod to struts, even in this class, like the Subaru Impreza. Toyota chose not to.

And where is the dual front climate control?
To be fair, most cars in this class don't have them, even in the top-line versions.
Old 06-14-09, 08:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
To be fair, most cars in this class don't have them, even in the top-line versions.
what other cars do you consider in this class?

looks like civic hybrid doesn't offer dual climate control either.
Old 06-14-09, 08:38 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for the review
Old 06-14-09, 09:12 AM
C. McHale
Rookie

Thanks for the nice write up mmarshall.

I suppose the interesting question here would be: if you had a choice, would you go for the Jetta TDI or the 3rd gen Prius?

The Toyota dealer we were going to buy from said they got a Prius V in according to my father's specifications. But it was loaded up with a bunch of unwanted "extras", which of course they failed to mention to us before we came there. Was a huge waste of time, as my father stated he didn't want those things on the car. And of course those additions put the price well above what he wanted to pay.

This pissed him off enough he might actually consider something besides the Prius now. I know you recommend the Fusion hybrid here, mmarshall, but as as nice as it is, it's simply too big and will not fit into the garage space my father has available.

The Jetta does not have this issue, as it's basically the same size as the Prius.

The upcoming VW Golf 2.0 TDI looks like a nice car, but it's still a while before it comes to the states, I believe. My father is tired of playing the waiting game. I feel bad as I'm the one who convinced him to wait for this new generation Prius, and it apparently was not worth that wait.
Old 06-14-09, 09:32 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
To be fair?

Most cars that have dual climate control don't have such things like:

Pre crash
LED headlights
Land Assist
Safety connect
Hill start assist
Dynamic radar cruise
Park assist
Auto up/down for ALL windows
Driver/passenger power seats.

All of the above are available on the Prius

Not having dual climate control is a major omission for a car with these types of options.

Even the 4.0l Tundra 2wd has dual zone climate control.
Old 06-14-09, 10:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JessePS
Thank you so much for the review
Sure. Anytime.
Old 06-14-09, 10:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

To be fair?

Most cars that have dual climate control don't have such things like:

Pre crash
LED headlights
Land Assist
Safety connect
Hill start assist
Dynamic radar cruise
Park assist
Auto up/down for ALL windows
Driver/passenger power seats.

All of the above are available on the Prius
You seem to be making the argument in reverse now, by pointing out all the things that ARE Prius options.

One look at the Prius's sheet metal and interior tells you the car was designed to a budget.....and that the expensive, sophisticated drivetrain (probably) ate up a good part of that budget. The designers, with what was left over, obviously had to make some decisions....and perhaps the dual-zone climate control was one of them.

Not having dual climate control is a major omission for a car with these types of options.

Even the 4.0l Tundra 2wd has dual zone climate control.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-14-09, 10:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what other cars do you consider in this class?
Size-wise, the two most obvious are the Civic and Insight hybrids. Price-wise, if you compare them to the top-line Prius V, the Fusion, Altima, Malibu, and Aura Hybrids.

As you pointed out, some them offer dual-zone climate control, others don't.
Old 06-14-09, 10:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by C. McHale
Thanks for the nice write up mmarshall.
Sure. Anytime.

I suppose the interesting question here would be: if you had a choice, would you go for the Jetta TDI or the 3rd gen Prius?
See my answer below.

The Toyota dealer we were going to buy from said they got a Prius V in according to my father's specifications. But it was loaded up with a bunch of unwanted "extras", which of course they failed to mention to us before we came there. Was a huge waste of time, as my father stated he didn't want those things on the car. And of course those additions put the price well above what he wanted to pay.

This pissed him off enough he might actually consider something besides the Prius now. I know you recommend the Fusion hybrid here, mmarshall, but as as nice as it is, it's simply too big and will not fit into the garage space my father has available.

The Jetta does not have this issue, as it's basically the same size as the Prius.

The upcoming VW Golf 2.0 TDI looks like a nice car, but it's still a while before it comes to the states, I believe. My father is tired of playing the waiting game. I feel bad as I'm the one who convinced him to wait for this new generation Prius, and it apparently was not worth that wait.
On a strict choice between the new Prius and the Jetta TDI, it would be a tough pick. The Prius has outstanding mileage, sophistication, and reliability, but the sheet metal and interior quality seem cheap compared to the Jetta's. The Jetta won't equal the Prius reliability, especially in electronics, or quite match it in fuel mileage, though the diesel's mileage is certainly nothing to sneeze at. But it will blow the doors off the Prius in torque, has much crisper handling, and better sheet metal and interior quality. Both cars qualify for the alternate-fuel vehicle tax credits. Low-sulfur diesel fuel availability is, of course, an issue with the Jetta, too.....not all neighborhood gas stations carry it. As for me, reliability is extremely important in my book, so I'd probably go with the Prius, even though I think the Jetta is more pleasant to drive and has more user-friendly gauges.

But there is also a third possibility. Tell your dad to check out a Honda Civic Hybrid if the Toyota dealers are trying to pull one over on him and the Fusion is too porky for your driveway. The Civic Hybrid is a nicer car than the Insight, and less expensive than upper-level Prius models, though its hybrid powertrain can't equal that of the Prius for sophistication. The Civic hybrid, IMO, only has one really annoying feature (unless they have changed the electronics since I last drove one)....the tendency to jerk forward a little when you let off the brakes when the light turns green and the hybrid powertrain kicks back on. That's something your dad may or may not be able to get used to.
Old 06-14-09, 10:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Oops......one thing I forgot to mention in the review is the alternate-fuel tax credits the Prius is eligible for. I'll go back and add that now to the list of PLUSSES.
Old 06-14-09, 12:34 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The Fusion is a nice balance of power and economy. It would probably be my choice as well. However, I am not overly concerned with having a prop rod vs. struts. I've been living with a prop rod since I began to drive. No biggie. I would imagine struts were not used in the Prius as a way to save money.
Old 06-14-09, 01:39 PM
LexFather

Nice write-up again Mike. 32k isn't that bad considering the avg car price is over 30k and you are getting the best MPG around and a huge techno marvel of a car. I think its actually a very good price. The car starts at what 22-23k, so its not going to be an interior quality gem. That is not what the car is for.

Prius V is the top of the line model and the advanced package has this optional;
Advanced Technology Package: Lane Keep Assist, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Pre-Collision System, Intelligent Parking Assist, and voice-activated navigation system and backup monitor (available on Prius V)

Here is what is standard;

Prius II (model 1223): Standard equipment includes AM/FM/CD with WMA/MP3 playback capability, auxiliary audio jack, remote keyless entry, driver door Smart Key System, power door locks and power windows with auto up/down control, cruise control, tilt/telescopic steering wheel, driver seat vertical adjust, Push Button Start, electronic shift lever, 60/40 split fold down rear seats, Touch Tracer Display, Front, side, curtain, and driver knee airbags, 4-wheel disc brakes, STAR® Safety System, active front headrests, EV/Eco/Power modes, Multi-Information Display, 15” alloy wheels with wheel covers, halogen headlamps, rear wiper, heated outside mirrors

Prius III (mode 1225): Prius II equipment, plus JBL® AM/FM/6-CD changer with Bluetooth® hands free capability, integrated XM Satellite radio, and eight speakers

Prius IV (model 1227): Prius III equipment, plus leather trimmed seats and steering wheel, heated front seats, power driver lumbar support, 3-Door Smart Key, illuminated entry, Plasmacluster™, and autodimming rearview mirror with Homelink®

Prius V (model 1229): Prius IV equipment, plus 17” alloy wheels, LED headlamps with washers, and foglamps

Old 06-14-09, 01:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
The Fusion is a nice balance of power and economy. It would probably be my choice as well.
Not just power and economy, but it's also well-built. The only real problem (and only if you carry tall people in back) is the Munchkin rear headroom. Same with the Malibu and Aura.

However, I am not overly concerned with having a prop rod vs. struts. I've been living with a prop rod since I began to drive. No biggie. I would imagine struts were not used in the Prius as a way to save money.
Agreed...........it's not necessarily a deal-breaker. But when even some cars like the 18K Impreza have struts, it makes you wonder why vehicles that can run over 30K, like the Prius V does, still make you play Hulk Hogan up front, particularly with a heavy steel hood like on recent Legacys and Outbacks (Subaru went from aluminum hoods to heavier steel ones for the Legacy-Outback a couple of years ago because of cost, but foolishly kept the old rods).

Of course, the Prius has rather lightweight sheet metal, so the hood may not be that heavy for most people (like you and me). But having a strut instead of a rod is more than just a matter of courtesy in raising and shutting the hood. Having struts is safer. People have been injured by not getting the rod tip securly in the hole, and then accidentally bumping the rod and having the hood suddenly come down on them. That's why I don't understand why the automakers don't just make struts standard across the board, or why Federal rules don't require it, for safety and litigation reasons alone. It probably wouldn't cost more than a couple of dollars per car.....and, IMO, be worth it.
Old 06-14-09, 02:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Nice write-up again Mike.
Thanks.

32k isn't that bad considering the avg car price is over 30k and you are getting the best MPG around and a huge techno marvel of a car. I think its actually a very good price. The car starts at what 22-23k, so its not going to be an interior quality gem. That is not what the car is for.
Some cars, like Hyundai's Elantra and Sonata, can deliver a nice, high-quality interior for a low price, but, of course, Hyundai didn't have to put the kind of money and hardware into their powertrains that Toyota did with the Prius.

Prius V is the top of the line model and the advanced package has this optional;
Advanced Technology Package: Lane Keep Assist, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Pre-Collision System, Intelligent Parking Assist, and voice-activated navigation system and backup monitor (available on Prius V)

Here is what is standard;

Prius II (model 1223): Standard equipment includes AM/FM/CD with WMA/MP3 playback capability, auxiliary audio jack, remote keyless entry, driver door Smart Key System, power door locks and power windows with auto up/down control, cruise control, tilt/telescopic steering wheel, driver seat vertical adjust, Push Button Start, electronic shift lever, 60/40 split fold down rear seats, Touch Tracer Display, Front, side, curtain, and driver knee airbags, 4-wheel disc brakes, STAR® Safety System, active front headrests, EV/Eco/Power modes, Multi-Information Display, 15” alloy wheels with wheel covers, halogen headlamps, rear wiper, heated outside mirrors

Prius III (mode 1225): Prius II equipment, plus JBL® AM/FM/6-CD changer with Bluetooth® hands free capability, integrated XM Satellite radio, and eight speakers

Prius IV (model 1227): Prius III equipment, plus leather trimmed seats and steering wheel, heated front seats, power driver lumbar support, 3-Door Smart Key, illuminated entry, Plasmacluster™, and autodimming rearview mirror with Homelink®

Prius V (model 1229): Prius IV equipment, plus 17” alloy wheels, LED headlamps with washers, and foglamps
Thanks. The above equipment list may (?) help explain why there was obvious cost-cutting on the sheet metal and a lot of the interior trim. And, having some second thoughts on the matter, the 50 MPG figure may (?) also explain why the hardware and body panels are so thin and light....to make the car as light as possible, with all of that equipment, for maximum MPG. Weight, obviously, is often the enemy of mileage.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Toyota Prius