Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-09, 03:33 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

17 inch. wheels seem kind of silly on a car like this.
Old 06-14-09, 03:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
17 inch. wheels seem kind of silly on a car like this.
Agreed. What is surprising is that, with the fairly low-profile rubber, they give as smooth a ride as they do. They also, strangely, don't give much in the way of steering response, though that may (?) be a function of the steering-gear ratio more than the tires and suspension.
Old 06-16-09, 12:01 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Nice write-up again Mike. 32k isn't that bad considering the avg car price is over 30k and you are getting the best MPG around and a huge techno marvel of a car. I think its actually a very good price. The car starts at what 22-23k, so its not going to be an interior quality gem. That is not what the car is for.

Yes, but the Jetta 2.0TDI also starts at $22,000 and suffice to say, the interior and exterior build quality blows away this car. I realize this Prius utilizes an extremely complex gas/electric powertrain, and that car, well, doesn't, but I personally would not be interested in dealing with lethargic performance, poor handling, and [even more] bizarre looks for an added 5mpg. Call me a car enthusiast, but I like to have my cake and eat it too in regards to driving, so the Jetta TDI would be my top choice. I wasn't a fan of the previous Prius models for what they were, and my hope at that changing for this car was dashed. If you've checked out the new Vibe/Matrix, you'll understand what I mean about feeling cheap. I think these cars are good in the fact that they offer high mileage (never, ever a bad thing), but there are far too many compromises for me with this car given the pricetag. Some of the convenience features (lane departure, solar roof, LED lights, etc.) are cool, but I can't help to wonder if they are just thrown in at the expense of the quality of the rest of the vehicle on a whole, a problem Mazda seems to have.

Last edited by FKL; 06-16-09 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-16-09, 05:58 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Nice write-up again Mike. 32k isn't that bad considering the avg car price is over 30k and you are getting the best MPG around and a huge techno marvel of a car. I think its actually a very good price. The car starts at what 22-23k, so its not going to be an interior quality gem. That is not what the car is for.
Well, the older Corollas had great interior quality.
Old 06-16-09, 10:29 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll have to peek a gander at the new Prius, I'll need to bug my connection at the local Toyota dealer
Old 06-17-09, 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
Yes, but the Jetta 2.0TDI also starts at $22,000 and suffice to say, the interior and exterior build quality blows away this car. I realize this Prius utilizes an extremely complex gas/electric powertrain, and that car, well, doesn't, but I personally would not be interested in dealing with lethargic performance, poor handling, and [even more] bizarre looks for an added 5mpg. Call me a car enthusiast, but I like to have my cake and eat it too in regards to driving, so the Jetta TDI would be my top choice. I wasn't a fan of the previous Prius models for what they were, and my hope at that changing for this car was dashed. If you've checked out the new Vibe/Matrix, you'll understand what I mean about feeling cheap. I think these cars are good in the fact that they offer high mileage (never, ever a bad thing), but there are far too many compromises for me with this car given the pricetag. Some of the convenience features (lane departure, solar roof, LED lights, etc.) are cool, but I can't help to wonder if they are just thrown in at the expense of the quality of the rest of the vehicle on a whole, a problem Mazda seems to have.
There's no question that the Jetta TDI is a more responsive car to drive, less geeky-looking, and, with some exceptions like the flimsy steering-column stalks, generally uses better interior materials. But, like the Prius, you pay a premium in the Jetta for the TDI, diesel fuel is not readily available at many gas stations, and there is also the reliability factor, where, on average, the Prius is far superior.
Old 06-17-09, 07:08 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There's no question that the Jetta TDI is a more responsive car to drive, less geeky-looking, and, with some exceptions like the flimsy steering-column stalks, generally uses better interior materials. But, like the Prius, you pay a premium in the Jetta for the TDI, diesel fuel is not readily available at many gas stations, and there is also the reliability factor, where, on average, the Prius is far superior.
Theres also the noise factor, while the Prius can be completely silent, the noise Jetta TDI produces is quite unbearable.
Old 06-17-09, 12:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Theres also the noise factor, while the Prius can be completely silent, the noise Jetta TDI produces is quite unbearable.
Have you driven today's Bluetec and TDI diesels? I have reviewed several of them. Even at idle, they are the smoothest, quietest diesels ever built. In fact, except for having to fill them up with diesel fuel instead of gas, they are hard to tell from today's gas engines.
Old 06-17-09, 12:18 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Great review. I was thinking of getting new prius but too expensive IMO.
Old 06-17-09, 01:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KA8
Great review.
Thanks.

I was thinking of getting new prius but too expensive IMO.
You don't have to pay 32K for one like the Prius V model I reviewed. There are substantially cheaper versions, but, of course, any new Prius will likely be difficult to bargain on. You could also check out the less-expensive Honda Civic Hybrid and Insight, but the Insight's back seat is basically for children or small adults.
Old 06-17-09, 03:32 PM
C. McHale
Rookie

Originally Posted by Och
Huh? Not sure what you're talking about here. Unbearable noise? After having driven a Jetta TDI, there's really not much noise to speak of, besides anything you might expect a regular running motor to sound like. Put your hand down by the exhaust while the car is running, take a whiff and you can't detect any diesel smell at all.

After my father tried the Jetta TDI Sportwagon, he really like it, and that's what he wound up buying.

To say the interior blows away the Prius is an understatement. The material quality difference is like night and day. Sure, the interior layout of the Jetta is simple, but that's something of a boon too. The Prius layout is quirky, and the shift **** placement annoying. The Jetta Sportswagon is perhaps less eye-catching than a new Prius, but the paint job and sheet metal seem to be a very high grade. Both of these seem to be downgraded on the 3rd gen Prius versus the 2nd gen.

So long as the reliability holds up, I'd say the Jetta TDI is an overall better car than this latest Prius. Which really is quite unfortunate.

In a way, because the Toyota dealer treated my father the way they did, not only did they lose a loyal customer, but Toyota itself will now show one less Prius sale for the year--because of the dealership experience. Doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things, but I guess it's the thought here that counts.
Old 06-17-09, 05:08 PM
LexFather

The Jetta and Prius are really apples to oranges. One is a hatch, one is a sedan. One is a diesel, one is a Hybrid. One has a nicer interior the other has much more advanced tech. Both are good solutions if you want higher MPG.
They both do share one thing. Awful advertisements

Old 06-17-09, 06:18 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

^All very true. I agree with you and everything mmarshall stated as well.
Old 06-17-09, 08:49 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The newer common-rail diesels like the TDI sound really quiet - think of what a Honda I4 motor with loose valves would sound but more muted and a touch throatier.
Old 06-17-09, 10:24 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I can attest to the horrible noise a Jetta TDI makes as the only time I heard one was when I heard one in a parking lot a while ago. I thought it was some old ratty pickup or really old Mercedes diesel on its last leg and was shocked when I saw it was a new Jetta, it sounded terrible and literally like sounding major was about to fail and it was about to break down. Actually the girl pulling out of the parking space kept braking and going real slow so maybe it was having engine trouble or something but there is no way you could pay me to drive a vehicle that sounded like that or was that unreliable brand new if it was breaking down already.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Toyota Prius