Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-09, 02:04 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I can attest to the horrible noise a Jetta TDI makes as the only time I heard one was when I heard one in a parking lot a while ago. I thought it was some old ratty pickup or really old Mercedes diesel on its last leg and was shocked when I saw it was a new Jetta, it sounded terrible and literally like sounding major was about to fail and it was about to break down. Actually the girl pulling out of the parking space kept braking and going real slow so maybe it was having engine trouble or something but there is no way you could pay me to drive a vehicle that sounded like that or was that unreliable brand new if it was breaking down already.
Wow, serious stuff. Can you still hear after the poor TDI ripped through your ears? And you're right, that car MUST have been broken!! Such deduction abilities.
Old 06-18-09, 10:33 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Nice write up and review Mike.

I disagree about the sheet metal and "cheap" interior you guys are talking about though.
Sure the old Camry had a great interior - like 15 years ago. I remember those too and those days are long gone.
I thought it seemed alright for a Toyota these days.

However....

I was disappointed with the center console placement, it threw me off and seems like a waste of space.
Also for being a "revolutionary" technology car, there's still no iPod integration with the navigation. lol
I also don't think a leather option should be offered in a hybrid, I dunno, it seems wrong to me?

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to look at the solar roof, I'm curious to see how that works.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-18-09, 12:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Nice write up and review Mike.
Thanks.

I disagree about the sheet metal and "cheap" interior you guys are talking about though.
Sure the old Camry had a great interior - like 15 years ago. I remember those too and those days are long gone.
I thought it seemed alright for a Toyota these days.

Yes and no, Liz. The 2009 Prius seemed to have more-solid materials and higher build quality in those areas. The 2010, IMO, was a noticeable drop.....but some of that lightening of the materials may (?) have been done to save weight and help get that superb 51 MPG city rating.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-18-09 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-18-09, 12:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Theres also the noise factor, while the Prius can be completely silent, the noise Jetta TDI produces is quite unbearable.
No. You're living in the past.....decades ago. State-of-the-art diesels, today, are virtually distinguishable from gas engines, in starting, running, pollution, and noise.
Old 06-18-09, 12:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
I can attest to the horrible noise a Jetta TDI makes as the only time I heard one was when I heard one in a parking lot a while ago. I thought it was some old ratty pickup or really old Mercedes diesel on its last leg and was shocked when I saw it was a new Jetta, it sounded terrible and literally like sounding major was about to fail and it was about to break down. Actually the girl pulling out of the parking space kept braking and going real slow so maybe it was having engine trouble or something but there is no way you could pay me to drive a vehicle that sounded like that or was that unreliable brand new if it was breaking down already.
I agree....I think there was something wrong with the one you heard. A normal VW diesel, these days, is almost as quiet as a gas engine.

Someone may (?) have screwed up and put regular gasoline into it instead of diesel fuel. That will cause massive detonation/knocking with a diesel's 20-1 compression ratio and mess it up real quick.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-18-09 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-18-09, 02:20 PM
rinthiran
Rookie

Mike, excellent detailed write-up and I agree with your observations!

I’m in a unique situation that I just had the opportunity to drive a rental 2008 Prius for the past month, and my mom just purchased a new 2010 Prius 2 weeks ago. She got the Prius III with the navigation package for $28k out the door. The best we got was $400 under MSRP.

One thing I noticed since I’ve driven both within days of each other, is that I did feel the 1.8L was a good improvement in power over the older engine. Merging onto highway traffic in the SF Bay Area, I used to have to floor the throttle to merge, and the old Prius really felt like a really slow car. The new one feels much better with more mid-range and top-end power, especially when using the ‘Power’ mode. I drove it all weekend in power mode and put about 200 miles on the car. I calculated about 42MPG, which is still excellent considering I was driving somewhat aggressive. I also felt the electric steering was more accurate.
Old 06-18-09, 08:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rinthiran
Mike, excellent detailed write-up and I agree with your observations!
Thanks.

I’m in a unique situation that I just had the opportunity to drive a rental 2008 Prius for the past month, and my mom just purchased a new 2010 Prius 2 weeks ago. She got the Prius III with the navigation package for $28k out the door. The best we got was $400 under MSRP.
Congragulations to your mom on her purchase. $400 under invoice is not bad for an all-new Prius. Some dealerships, in this area, mark them up over MSRP and won't budge........but this area is high-income and dealerships know they can get top-dollar, even in a recession. The Prius name has undeniable appeal to a number of persons and groups in this country.

One thing I noticed since I’ve driven both within days of each other, is that I did feel the 1.8L was a good improvement in power over the older engine. Merging onto highway traffic in the SF Bay Area, I used to have to floor the throttle to merge, and the old Prius really felt like a really slow car. The new one feels much better with more mid-range and top-end power, especially when using the ‘Power’ mode. I drove it all weekend in power mode and put about 200 miles on the car. I calculated about 42MPG, which is still excellent considering I was driving somewhat aggressive. I also felt the electric steering was more accurate.
The new one feels a little more responsive in the POWER mode and when the gas engine kicks in, but can still feel a little sluggish when taking off from rest, golf-cart-style, in the pure-electric mode.
Old 06-18-09, 11:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congragulations to your mom on her purchase. $400 under invoice is not bad for an all-new Prius.
minor correction, he said under msrp, not under invoice. 400 under invoice would be amazing for a new hot vehicle.
Old 06-19-09, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
minor correction, he said under msrp, not under invoice. 400 under invoice would be amazing for a new hot vehicle.
Thanks, bit. Yes, I meant $400 under MSRP, not invoice. You're not going to get a new Prius $400 under invoice unless you go into the place with an AK-47.
Old 06-21-09, 04:28 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the review mmarshall! Well said. I do have a few comments. I'm surprised that you found the V's handling to be worse than the 2G Prius. The Vs have different steering tunings to the models with 15" alloys. They have a quicker steering ratio and a 2.75 lock-to-lock (compared to 3.75 for the 15" model). They will all switch to the faster setting if you get yours in the Fall.

Also, you didn't mention the options in your $32k model. I don't think any other $32k vehicle can be equipped with this much technology.

I agree with the heated seats placement. Also a little miffed that it's still single stage heating.
Old 06-21-09, 07:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
I also don't think a leather option should be offered in a hybrid, I dunno, it seems wrong to me?
i agree, or at least offer the option of NOT getting leather on the higher end packaged models.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to look at the solar roof, I'm curious to see how that works.
yes. again weird you can't get the solar roof with package V.
Old 06-22-09, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Thanks for the review mmarshall! Well said.
Thanks.

I do have a few comments. I'm surprised that you found the V's handling to be worse than the 2G Prius. The Vs have different steering tunings to the models with 15" alloys. They have a quicker steering ratio and a 2.75 lock-to-lock (compared to 3.75 for the 15" model). They will all switch to the faster setting if you get yours in the Fall.
I didn't necessarily find the handling worse than the 2G model....in fact, the 3G model did have less body roll. With the lower-profile tires and new suspension on the 3G model, I just expected a little more steering response, even with the 2.75 lock-to-lock you mention, and a slightly firmer ride than it actually had, that's all. It surprised me.

Also, you didn't mention the options in your $32k model. I don't think any other $32k vehicle can be equipped with this much technology.
I did mention the options under the base price, as I usually do in reviews. It had the $4500 Technology Package, plus, of course, all the standard equipment that comes on the Prius V Trim level.

I agree with the heated seats placement. Also a little miffed that it's still single stage heating.
Of course, unlike many Subarus and some AWD Volvos/Audis, the Prius is not primarily designed as a winter car, so they probably didn't design the heated seats for Arctic conditions. That big hole under the console is probably (?) there to save weight, and I agree....that is a lousy place to put the heated seat switches. Worse, the two switches are mounted fore/aft instead of left/right as you would normally expect for heated seats.
Old 06-22-09, 03:05 PM
LexFather

I went to test drive the Prius at a smaller dealership. All were sold in 24 hours, they had none on the lot and their next 4 months allocation are spoken for. Amazing.

The Venza is nice though.

I went to Honda to drive a ugly *** Insight (its uglier in person) but it started raining, I guess God didn't want me to drive it

Old 06-22-09, 06:45 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Thanks for the review mmarshall! Well said. I do have a few comments. I'm surprised that you found the V's handling to be worse than the 2G Prius. The Vs have different steering tunings to the models with 15" alloys. They have a quicker steering ratio and a 2.75 lock-to-lock (compared to 3.75 for the 15" model). They will all switch to the faster setting if you get yours in the Fall.
good info......

how many miles on your 05? any issues ay all???
Old 06-22-09, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I went to test drive the Prius at a smaller dealership. All were sold in 24 hours, they had none on the lot and their next 4 months allocation are spoken for. Amazing.
That's why I grabbed the chance to review and drive that red Prius V that morning while it was still available. It (probably) didn't last the rest of the day.

I went to Honda to drive a ugly *** Insight (its uglier in person) but it started raining, I guess God didn't want me to drive it
If you get a chance to drive an Insight (don't give up...you might yet), I think you may be a little less harsh in your judgement. Granted, the Insight's hybrid system is jerkier and less-sophisticated than that of the Prius, and its back seat is a joke, but its chassis, suspension, road manners, brakes, and sheet metal, IMO, are somewhat better. It also, despite a lot of hard-plastic inside, has impressive build/assembly quality.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Toyota Prius