Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 07:41 PM
LexFather

^^^ Well whats telling is the more expensive Prius's are selling in a day or two and I saw visibly 4 Insights at the Honda dealer, the cheaper vehicle....

Old 06-22-09, 07:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^^ Well whats telling is the more expensive Prius's are selling in a day or two and I saw visibly 4 Insights at the Honda dealer, the cheaper vehicle....
Of course the Prius is outselling the Insight. The Prius has been hyped completely to the moon and back by Hollywood, celebrities/entertainers, environmental groups, and the more left-leaning members of the auto press.
That is not the case with the Insight, which has only been on the market some two months. Many people aren't even aware of the Insight, as even the more well-known Civic Hybrid has languished in the shadow of the Prius's enormous hype. But, when potential customers can't get Priuses, especially at a reasonable price, my guess (though I admit that some of it is just speculation on my part), is that a number of people will look at new Insights and end up taking them home. There is little doubt that most Insights will go out the door for less money than the average Prius, both because of lower MSRP's and lower demand, at least for a time.
Old 06-22-09, 08:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Of course the Prius is outselling the Insight. The Prius has been hyped completely to the moon and back by Hollywood, celebrities/entertainers, environmental groups, and the more left-leaning members of the auto press.
That is not the case with the Insight, which has only been on the market some two months. Many people aren't even aware of the Insight, as even the more well-known Civic Hybrid has languished in the shadow of the Prius's enormous hype. But, when potential customers can't get Priuses, especially at a reasonable price, my guess (though I admit that some of it is just speculation on my part), is that a number of people will look at new Insights and end up taking them home. There is little doubt that most Insights will go out the door for less money than the average Prius, both because of lower MSRP's and lower demand, at least for a time.
I believe its the fact the Prius is completely superior to the Insight for not much more money. My theory is people that want less expensive cars might not understand/be interested in hybrids, care for more complicated tech and don't want a car that clearly looks like a Prius knock-off. Just get the Prius.

I do agree that its very possible people that want a Prius and can't get it might buy an Insight, where they will hate their decision after a couple months.

Old 06-22-09, 08:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I believe its the fact the Prius is completely superior to the Insight for not much more money. My theory is people that want less expensive cars might not understand/be interested in hybrids, care for more complicated tech and don't want a car that clearly looks like a Prius knock-off. Just get the Prius.
Yes, the Prius has a more sophisticated, less-jerky drivetrain and better mileage, but when you get a chance to drive an Insight, let's see how you feel about the chassis, brakes, and, except for some road noise, its general road manners. After driving one, you may still disagree with me, or you may change your mind.

That's where I felt the new Prius was disappointing.....along with thin sheet metal and disappointing interior trim. Neither car, though, to be honest, is very impressive inside.

I do agree that its very possible people that want a Prius and can't get it might buy an Insight, where they will hate their decision after a couple months.
Unlike Toyota, though, Honda splits its small-hybrid offerings between two vehicles.....the Insight and Civic Hybrid. The two will likely compete against each other as much as they do the Prius.
Old 06-22-09, 11:31 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.
Yes and no, Liz. The 2009 Prius seemed to have more-solid materials and higher build quality in those areas. The 2010, IMO, was a noticeable drop.....but some of that lightening of the materials may (?) have been done to save weight and help get that superb 51 MPG city rating.
I drove the 2004 when it first came out and I didn't notice much difference in body sheet metal.
Perhaps I was distracted by the improved acceleration?

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yes. again weird you can't get the solar roof with package V.
Yeah, if you have the money and want to get everything on the car you should be able to. I mean if you're already spending $32k....
Old 06-23-09, 01:00 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We had only 2 Insights left at work, but as a Toyota guy trapped at a Honda dealer the Prius will always have the upper hand.
Old 06-23-09, 06:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
I drove the 2004 when it first came out and I didn't notice much difference in body sheet metal.
Perhaps I was distracted by the improved acceleration?
I easily noticed it by both the tinny sound of the doors closing and by how easily the new sheet metal bends under finger pressure in comparison to the 2nd generation model. Shut the door on the 2nd-gen model and you get a good solid "thunk". On the new car it is definitely tinnier.

Many people don't notice these things when they check out a car because, like you say, they are concerned with other things instead. With many young men, the first things they check are power and handling, and many older people are primarily concerned with seating comfort and ease of entry/exit.
Old 06-23-09, 10:41 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
good info......

how many miles on your 05? any issues ay all???
110,000kms... so that's what.. almost 70,000 miles? Mostly city driving (as you can tell with the mileage vs. the year). Brakes are still > 50%. No hybrid system issues yet (knock on wood). Some were issues I created myself (like the screen no working but then I figured it was just the DICE iPod interface so I just reset the iPod interface and everything went back to normal), others were dealer (e.g. poorly installed mudguards and a broken rear bumper clip).

Thanks.

I didn't necessarily find the handling worse than the 2G model....in fact, the 3G model did have less body roll. With the lower-profile tires and new suspension on the 3G model, I just expected a little more steering response, even with the 2.75 lock-to-lock you mention, and a slightly firmer ride than it actually had, that's all. It surprised me.

Of course, unlike many Subarus and some AWD Volvos/Audis, the Prius is not primarily designed as a winter car, so they probably didn't design the heated seats for Arctic conditions. That big hole under the console is probably (?) there to save weight, and I agree....that is a lousy place to put the heated seat switches. Worse, the two switches are mounted fore/aft instead of left/right as you would normally expect for heated seats.
Ahh... then again, it's not a Prius Sport (well even if it was, it's Toyota's version of a Sport model).

Odd because they keep touting that the Prius was designed for the Canadian winter with the Exhaust Heat Recirculation System.
Old 06-24-09, 11:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I saw my first new generation Prius and WOW.......DAMN that thing was so ugly. Why cant they build a nice looking hybrid????????????? WOW if I have to drive something that looks like that, mother earth is on her own . LMAO
Old 06-25-09, 06:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I saw my first new generation Prius and WOW.......DAMN that thing was so ugly. Why cant they build a nice looking hybrid????????????? WOW if I have to drive something that looks like that, mother earth is on her own . LMAO
Agreed. Looks, of course, are a subjective matter, but, like you, I've never liked Prius styling, inside or out, since the very first ones were sold here in 2000. The Honda Insight and Civic Hybrid have somewhat more conventional styling, controls, and dash gauges, but, of course, cannot equal the sophistication of the excellent Prius drivetrain.
Old 06-25-09, 02:19 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Agreed. Looks, of course, are a subjective matter, but, like you, I've never liked Prius styling, inside or out, since the very first ones were sold here in 2000. The Honda Insight and Civic Hybrid have somewhat more conventional styling, controls, and dash gauges, but, of course, cannot equal the sophistication of the excellent Prius drivetrain.
yep, look at the hybrids in the lexuses as well as camry/civic. They're exactly the same body as the regular car except for a logo.

One could say, if you have a winning body style, there's no reason why it has to be hybrid-only?
perhaps the 1st gen didn't fit your taste, but from a sales perspective, the peacocking of the 2nd gen prius styling was a winner to make the thing stand out and win the smugness self-righteous market who want the world to know they're driving a hybrid.
I wonder if there's a market for a prius-looking car that isn't hybrid, so you can stealhily still appear ecologically self-righteous, but have all the benefits of being a gas-guzzler.
Old 06-25-09, 02:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by raytseng
I wonder if there's a market for a prius-looking car that isn't hybrid, so you can stealhily still appear ecologically self-righteous, but have all the benefits of being a gas-guzzler.
Right now, the closest answer to that question would probably be the Honda Fit, but the Fit is certainly no gas-guzzler.

Old 06-25-09, 03:10 PM
raytseng
Instructor

I guess the big horsepower amg or M sedans get lousy mileage, but don't incur the wrath of eco-*****, who probably would torch a SUV (even a hybrid-SUV!) before a sedan.

The FIT gets above-ave. gas mileage for it's class, so it's not really mis-representing it's appearance as a eco-friendly car .
Old 06-25-09, 04:51 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was dissapointed that the Fit got a new 1.5L engine that offered no power increase and fuel economy increased. I hope that power bands with the new 1.5L are better than the previous.
Old 06-25-09, 05:07 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I was dissapointed that the Fit got a new 1.5L engine that offered no power increase and fuel economy increased. I hope that power bands with the new 1.5L are better than the previous.
Lol, directly from edmunds.com's review:
http://www.edmunds.com/honda/fit/2009/review.html

Under the hood of this four-door hatchback, you'll find a 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine, the same as last year. It's been revised with a number of changes, including an improved version of i-VTEC variable valve timing. Some might be disappointed that this hasn't led to dramatically higher horsepower or better EPA fuel economy estimates (they're both about the same as last year). But the overall drivability of the new Fit is noticeably better thanks to a wider spread of power.