Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia ad-We now outsell VW, Mazda and LEXUS

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-09, 11:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Kia outsell VW, thats not world wide total sales right? I cannot even bring myself to buy a Hyundai yet, never mind a Kia
Old 06-15-09, 12:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Exactly.

Quality over quantity. According to their ads, hyundai doesn't get that.
WRONG. This is not the 80s or 90s. Hyundai, today, IS quality.
Old 06-15-09, 12:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its like the Kia ad when the Borrego came out. They didn't put a badge on the truck and then flashed a Leuxs, BMW, Benz, Infiniti, Caddy badge and asked "Which one do u think it is".

If you look at Benz GLK ads on Autotrader, they say something like "Thinking of Lexus RX, check out the GLK". We have seen the Audi Q5 ad also going at the RX.
Remember when the Hyundai Veracruz came out and was compared to the RX in ads? Last month 821 were sold (life support) and 7,462 RX's (granted a new model). Even some of the mags were comparing the two.

The VC offers a lot of content and value for the money, but never took off.
Old 06-15-09, 12:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I cannot even bring myself to buy a Hyundai yet, never mind a Kia
Just open your eyes a little.

Old 06-15-09, 12:22 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I know Kia outsold Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Aston Martin combined, what a feat.
Let's not forget rolls royce, maserati and bentley
Old 06-15-09, 12:42 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just open your eyes a little.
I am a pretty open minded guy. I have test drove a few Hyundai including the Genesis. While it is true that the new Hynudai is better than my old Excel from my college days, they are still behind Toyota and Lexus. Dollar for dollar, they are good buys, but most luxury car buyer are not really bargain hunters.
Old 06-15-09, 12:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm open-minded. Hyundai does make some decent cars. Still don't care about what the ad says.
Old 06-15-09, 05:43 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

I am a pretty open minded guy. I have test drove a few Hyundai including the Genesis. While it is true that the new Hynudai is better than my old Excel from my college days, they are still behind Toyota and Lexus. Dollar for dollar, they are good buys, but most luxury car buyer are not really bargain hunters.
exactly. Luxury car buyers stick with the usual.. Lexus, BMW, MBZ, and maybe the VW (phaeton..)

They are bargain hunters for THOSE companies, but they wont go down a level or two of luxury just for the 'inexpensive' car.
Old 06-15-09, 06:33 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

yeah, in my book, hyundai is 'lower' than a toyota. Not a fan of their competitive advertising schemes. makes me hate them more

p.s. please show me an RX that you can pick up for 36K?
Old 06-15-09, 09:43 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
yeah, in my book, hyundai is 'lower' than a toyota. Not a fan of their competitive advertising schemes. makes me hate them more

p.s. please show me an RX that you can pick up for 36K?
agreed.

the RX that you can pick up for 36k.... it starts at 36,800 and I'm sure he was talking about when the RX330 was out and base model..which is still nice
Old 06-15-09, 10:04 PM
YEH
Pole Position

[QUOTE=1SICKLEX;4602521]Wow, one of the cheapest brands around bragging on outselling a luxury marque:
Its amazing how much Lexus is used and targeted in ads. I just heard this ad watching family guy (Finals halftime).

But the BEST-selling luxury brand in the US (tho, this year BMW may very well beat out Lexus).

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Lexus in my opinion has become a cheaper brand than it once was, this is why Hyundai is targeting them. While Hyundais are getting more expensive and nicer, Lexus are getting cheaper and more mainstream.
Hyundai is not targeting Lexus.

It's just moving upstream (just as Toyota, Nissan/Datsun and Honda have all done) until it gets the pieces together to properly launch a luxury division.

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Hyundai is getting more luxurious because they didn't have anything luxurious to begin with. However, anyone with a quarter of a functional brain can figure out that Lexus is still a luxury brand but Hyundai is not.
True for the US, not for Korea (where Hyundai is a full-line manufacturer like Toyota).

Originally Posted by bad co
I agree with ffpowerln, hyundai will not be considered luxury to me even with the superb genesis if they are the same company that sells accent. lexus would not have been taken serioulsy if the ls was branded as the celsior Hyundai needs a luxury division. Either start a car company called genesis or stick to camry fighter's.
Again, Hyundai is not a luxury make, nor does it pretend to be.

However, it does offer a no. of luxury models in Korea and one here in the States.

After all, Toyota sells the $60k+ Land Cruiser along w/ the econobox Yaris and I doubt many here (tho, there are a few) would argue that it is not a luxury SUV (plus, Toyota advertises the Avalon as a "luxury" vehicle).

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Exactly.

Quality over quantity. According to their ads, hyundai doesn't get that.
Uhh, that's not the point of the advert.

Originally Posted by Koma
That's just it though, this was a Kia ad. They don't have anything that competes in the luxury realm whatsoever. Kia is in fact Hyundai's "cheap" brand. It's just silly that a Kia ad would try to target Lexus because they don't get cross-sold whatsoever.
Again - they are not targeting Lexus (as in comparing any of their models w/ Lexus as Ford had done w/ the Edge) in this campaign other to show that Kia sales have grown to surpass that of an established brand (yeah, luxury makes aren't expected to sell as much as mass-marketed vehicles, but that's why it is advertising).

Originally Posted by LexBob2
This ad merely follows Hyundai/Kia's recent advertising MO. They compare their cars to better known and upscale brands hoping to reinforce the value of the cars. Whether it works or not, is open to dicussion.
In this case - not actually comparing Kia models to Lexus (like Ford did w/ the Edge).

According to most of the major auto publications, the Sonata and Elantra are rated higher than the Camry and Corolla.

Originally Posted by Amini9
exactly. Luxury car buyers stick with the usual.. Lexus, BMW, MBZ, and maybe the VW.

They are bargain hunters for THOSE companies, but they wont go down a level or two of luxury just for the 'inexpensive' car.
Uhh, this ad campaign isn't saying that people looking to buy a Lexus, etc. should look at Kia.

Originally Posted by RXSF
How the next generation of models from both manufacturers compare will be interesting.
Old 06-15-09, 11:46 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Yawn...

At least when Audi goes up against Lexus they have a real benchmarkable product to play ball with (A4/Q5). We all know that Hyundai/Kia makes cheap and now reliable cars, but as far as having the same quality of a Volkswagen or Lexus - yeah, keep dreaming. It's very easy to tell why a Hyundai or Kia costs less as soon as yout sit in and drive one of their vehicles. Whatever, quantity doesn't equal quality. And I don't hear Hyundai actively trumping their sales numbers to VW on a worldwide scale. We all know American consumers are extremely price sensitive and don't care much for refinement and road manners in low priced vehicles, which is why Kia does so well. The Genesis? Nice for the price, but everyone here can still admit that the GS is the better car all around, not to mention every German stalwart vehicle they had in their vision...

And I know the argument about their quality being so high becuase "JD Power says so!", is soon to follow, but as far as making a vehicle which feels as well made as a freaking Lexus or VW - Sorry Hyundai, not yet.

Last edited by FKL; 06-15-09 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-16-09, 01:15 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Hyundai is not targeting Lexus.

It's just moving upstream (just as Toyota, Nissan/Datsun and Honda have all done) until it gets the pieces together to properly launch a luxury division.
Hyundai is targeting Lexus as the benchmark for how their NEW cars should be compared. The automotive press is now comparing the Lexus in Hyundai one on one comparos.

http://blogs.trucktrend.com/6211530/...xus/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig1vH7PcaZM
http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/rev...entid=18300587

Now not all Kia and Hyundai should be compared. But some of them should be IMO. As for the KIA Borrego...I have to give kudos to Hyundai for getting a body on frame IFS/IRS mid size SUV out before Toyota.

Also...a power telescoping steering column in a KIA? Thats pretty impressive except the leather inserts below look bad.

This KIA interior is better than any Toyota suv interior right now.
Old 06-16-09, 02:48 AM
Epik151
Driver

KIA's newer cars are so much better designed though. Soul, Forte, and that one with completely glass roof.