Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia ad-We now outsell VW, Mazda and LEXUS

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-09, 06:23 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Kia ad-We now outsell VW, Mazda and LEXUS

Wow, one of the cheapest brands around bragging on outselling a luxury marque
Its amazing how much Lexus is used and targeted in ads. I just heard this ad watching family guy (Finals halftime).

Amazing that Lexus I believe outsells the vastly cheaper Mazda and VW as well.

Old 06-14-09, 08:51 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you believe it? I hear that Mercury outsells Ferrari.
Old 06-14-09, 10:21 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its amazing how much Lexus is used and targeted in ads. .
Lexus in my opinion has become a cheaper brand than it once was, this is why Hyundai is targeting them. While Hyundais are getting more expensive and nicer, Lexus are getting cheaper and more mainstream.

With IS and ES leading the way, someone can be in a Lexus for $33k or and RX for $36k. These vehicles account for almost 75% of the Lexus sales or maybe even more.

Lexus is more of an volume luxury brand with the ES, IS and RX where in the past it was different. Granted the LS, LX, GX, SC and GS460 are far ahead of most of other brands, the bread and butter Lexus models are the equivelent of a really good Toyota that they used to sell in the past.
Old 06-14-09, 10:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Lexus in my opinion has become a cheaper brand than it once was, this is why Hyundai is targeting them. While Hyundais are getting more expensive and nicer, Lexus are getting cheaper and more mainstream.

With IS and ES leading the way, someone can be in a Lexus for $33k or and RX for $36k. These vehicles account for almost 75% of the Lexus sales or maybe even more.

Lexus is more of an volume luxury brand with the ES, IS and RX where in the past it was different. Granted the LS, LX, GX, SC and GS460 are far ahead of most of other brands, the bread and butter Lexus models are the equivelent of a really good Toyota that they used to sell in the past.
Yes, because the "bread and butter" Hundai/Kia models are priced right in the 33-37K range.
Old 06-14-09, 10:32 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus in my opinion has become a cheaper brand than it once was,
If that's the case then the German 3 are cheaper than Lexus, at least Lexus doesn't have anything that starts below $30k...

Apparently someone doesn't understand the definition of a full-line luxury brand which means a luxury brand that offers everything from entry level up to full size luxury and from sedan to coupe to SUV/crossovers. Lexus is trying to expand its lineup to compete with the Germans heads on thus there is no way that they are not going back to the old days with only the LS, GS, SC and ES.

Hyundai is getting more luxurious because they didn't have anything luxurious to begin with. However, anyone with a quarter of a functional brain can figure out that Lexus is still a luxury brand but Hyundai is not.
Old 06-14-09, 11:49 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

I agree with ffpowerln, hyundai will not be considered luxury to me even with the superb genesis if they are the same company that sells accent. lexus would not have been taken serioulsy if the ls was branded as the celsior Hyundai needs a luxury division. Either start a car company called genesis or stick to camry fighter's.
Old 06-15-09, 12:02 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Can you believe it? I hear that Mercury outsells Ferrari.
Exactly.

Quality over quantity. According to their ads, hyundai doesn't get that.
Old 06-15-09, 01:12 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I know Kia outsold Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Aston Martin combined, what a feat.
Old 06-15-09, 05:30 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You think that because you are a Lexus enthusiast and fan and you have an above market average knowledge of the brand. When I bought my IS250 no one in my class believed me because they said there is no way I can afford a 60-90k Luxury car lol
Old 06-15-09, 05:46 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
However, anyone with a quarter of a functional brain can figure out that Lexus is still a luxury brand but Hyundai is not.
Guys lets keep this post impersonal please.
Old 06-15-09, 06:37 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's just it though, this was a Kia ad. They don't have anything that competes in the luxury realm whatsoever. Kia is in fact Hyundai's "cheap" brand. It's just silly that a Kia ad would try to target Lexus because they don't get cross-sold whatsoever.
Old 06-15-09, 06:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

This ad merely follows Hyundai/Kia's recent advertising MO. They compare their cars to better known and upscale brands hoping to reinforce the value of the cars. Whether it works or not, is open to dicussion.
Old 06-15-09, 08:59 AM
LexFather

Its like the Kia ad when the Borrego came out. They didn't put a badge on the truck and then flashed a Leuxs, BMW, Benz, Infiniti, Caddy badge and asked "Which one do u think it is".

If you look at Benz GLK ads on Autotrader, they say something like "Thinking of Lexus RX, check out the GLK". We have seen the Audi Q5 ad also going at the RX.

Old 06-15-09, 10:27 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Considering Kia used to really suck even worse than Hyundai in the past I think it's quiet an accomplishment to make this claim. Kias are cheap but you get quality vehicles. My dad got new Sorento LX for $18K after rebates OTD, can't be beat for the price.

Last edited by KA8; 06-15-09 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-15-09, 11:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Kia outsell VW, thats not world wide total sales right? I cannot even bring myself to buy a Hyundai yet, never mind a Kia

Quick Reply: Kia ad-We now outsell VW, Mazda and LEXUS