Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Custom built to order, Lexus Japan style

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-09, 06:04 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea. What they should do is expand it to something like the European Delivery that BMW and some other EU companies offer. Make it an experience for those that are willing to pay a premium for a "custom" Lexus and people will do it, IMHO. I know that if I ever have the money, I'll totally do a European Delivery on a BMW. I know a few people that have done it and it's TOTALLY worth the few thousand extra you pay on the car.
Old 06-16-09, 06:12 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
I like the idea. What they should do is expand it to something like the European Delivery that BMW and some other EU companies offer. Make it an experience for those that are willing to pay a premium for a "custom" Lexus and people will do it, IMHO. I know that if I ever have the money, I'll totally do a European Delivery on a BMW. I know a few people that have done it and it's TOTALLY worth the few thousand extra you pay on the car.
Performance Center Delivery in Spartanburg SC is quite an experience as well.. It includes professionals showing you the capabilities of the BMW vehicle that you ordered in addition to some classroom, museum tour, track time, & of course the delivery of your vehicle..

Lexus should have something like this especially for the performance oriented F cars.
Old 06-16-09, 06:23 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I am all for a Japanese Delivery Program for a "custom" Lexus
Old 06-16-09, 07:10 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 758 Likes on 528 Posts

I agree with the consensus here. There is no reason why they shouldn't offer it in the U.S. It's not like they have to stop stocking inventory and have everyone order their car this way.
Old 06-16-09, 04:02 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I am all for a Japanese Delivery Program for a "custom" Lexus
Agreed, although I've heard the argument 1) Japan is RHD, 2) Japanese roads + traffic, but IMO it's doable, particularly in the nice countryside areas...

Going back to the cost thing, yes I do believe that the standard packaging is here to stay in the U.S. And the reason why it was that way originates to 1989 when Lexus debuted here, they've stuck to what works. However, with Lexus Japan debuting in 2005, they have taken a new approach there:

1) Standard packaging - like US, allocations etc are likely still made.

2) Special editions - GS Passionate Black, IS Elegant White, GS Meteor Black, IS Red-Edge; iS C color combos

3) Special order - mix and match as you like.

With the GS Passionate Black coming to the US, now we have 1) and starting some 2); For those who want it, and the LS 600h L is ripe for this IMO, they could get 3) customization options.

Last edited by encore888; 06-16-09 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-16-09, 05:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well they have a toyota town over there, it's easy enough for them to have literally "build" a closed course track or route for owners to pick up their cars. together with a trip around the toyota factory? i'd do it for sure

on the custom built thing, i think it will take them to bring that here, but like encore said we are seeing some progress already
Old 06-16-09, 06:28 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why they just cant offer the consumer both options. Lets face it the percentage that would do a custom build is pretty low but the fact they have the option would be a plus. I think it would bring over more consumers from other auto manufactures. I personally would like to see Lexus offer this in the states.
Old 06-16-09, 07:34 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since Lexus is clearly willing to let the customer completely customize the car, I think the option should be available in the US/Canada, just charge more for those cars; if some one really wants it a certain, they'll pay. I've got a friend who always wants it exactly his way when he buys something new regardless of extra charge.
Old 06-17-09, 03:56 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Agreed, although I've heard the argument 1) Japan is RHD, 2) Japanese roads + traffic, but IMO it's doable, particularly in the nice countryside areas...
Your second point is valid, but most of Europe is RHD as well, and BMW's been offering European delivery for a LONG time.
Old 06-17-09, 06:41 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

hopefully this will come to the us soon.
Old 06-17-09, 01:18 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
Your second point is valid, but most of Europe is RHD as well, and BMW's been offering European delivery for a LONG time.
Right, that's a good point. Interestingly, Lexus Japan has set up recommended driving routes for owners/buyers, as shown here:

Main list (a number of Japan routings, and elsewhere):
http://lexus.jp/brand/event/test_drive/index.html

Australia, Europe, US driving routes:
http://lexus.jp/brand/event/test_drive/oversea_imp/

There overseas routes are more specific at least from my limited perusing of the site.
Attached Thumbnails Custom built to order, Lexus Japan style-isf.png  
Old 06-17-09, 04:58 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Right, that's a good point. Interestingly, Lexus Japan has set up recommended driving routes for owners/buyers, as shown here:

Main list (a number of Japan routings, and elsewhere):
http://lexus.jp/brand/event/test_drive/index.html

Australia, Europe, US driving routes:
http://lexus.jp/brand/event/test_drive/oversea_imp/

There overseas routes are more specific at least from my limited perusing of the site.
They are giving you suggested routes to car unveilings, test drive events , parties held by lexus and any of the other events they you may be invited to. Maybe you already knew that ,but I thought I should say just in case.
Old 06-17-09, 05:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

dont we as Americans buy most of the cars made in the world over the past 15 years??? So why do we not get so many of the cool options , and even specialty models. I am demanding the manufacturers to sell us the best of the best, and we deserve the specialty models. Example M3 CSL or the custom option Lexus provided its Japanese consumers
Old 06-17-09, 07:16 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
Since Lexus is clearly willing to let the customer completely customize the car, I think the option should be available in the US/Canada, just charge more for those cars; if some one really wants it a certain, they'll pay. I've got a friend who always wants it exactly his way when he buys something new regardless of extra charge.
For the German luxury brands, aren't we paying LESS for European Delivery with customizable options ?? (the M versions are exceptions, & the AMG's too ...)
So why shouldn't there be a discount instead of a price premium for "Japanese Delivery" just because they allow customizable options combination ??
Old 06-18-09, 01:39 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
They are giving you suggested routes to car unveilings, test drive events , parties held by lexus and any of the other events they you may be invited to. Maybe you already knew that ,but I thought I should say just in case.
OK, thanks for the translation. I don't read nihongo, thanks for that. Interesting that they have listed events in California, Germany, etc.

I'd like to see customization + Japanese delivery program, like others have talked about here. But cost is an issue.

Quick Reply: Custom built to order, Lexus Japan style