Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ohioans ticketed for parking in own driveways

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-09, 05:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

the cities are so desperate it is really offensive. In phoenix we have stupid camera traps on the freeways. They are going to keep screwing the common man .

How can they give you a ticket if you are parked in your own driveway???? So what do they expect?? For all of the citizens to shell out a couple of grand to have the driveway paved after mom and dad lost their jobs and the kids are home because their teachers are being laid off.

This issue makes me sick. I hope the mayor loses his seat and is flipping burgers like the rest of his constituents
Old 06-18-09, 05:07 AM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, it wasn't a cop who ticketed them. A few days ago I read a longer article about this story and it said the city gave certain govt workers the power to ticket vehicles so some ***** went off on a power trip.
Old 06-18-09, 05:11 AM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here: http://www.foxtoledo.com/dpp/news/lo...tickets_061209

Though the article has been changed since then to edit out the name of hte person who did the ticketing...for obvious reasons I'm sure

Here is the original as posted on another forum:

Although not outlined in the city charter, a city memo has allowed workers with the city of Toledo’s Division of Streets, Bridges and Harbor to issue parking citations to citizens.

It was learned over the weekend that Susan Frederick, acting commissioner with streets, bridges and harbor, fined several motorists for parking in their driveways on Holland-Sylvania near Dorr Street.

"I've lived here 43 years and last Thursday we had our 44th wedding anniversary," said Charles Robertson, who received a parking violation. "I got a present from the city. Isn't that nice?"

Residents' vehicles were parked on a turn-around portion of their driveway in front of their property, something they need to safely get out of their drive on Holland-Sylvania, which, at times, can be busy.

Megan Robson, spokesperson for Mayor Carty Finkbeiner, released a statement to the media Monday evening.

"The Commissioner of Streets, Bridges and Harbor responded by going to the location of the complaint to assess whether it was valid or not," Robson said in the statement. "She personally observed that it was a valid complaint. She observed several illegally parked vehicles along the first street she visited."

"While there, a neighbor asked her to check out his street, which also had a number of illegally parked vehicles. Once she observed they too were illegally parked, she cited them as well. The City of Toledo supports its laws in general and illegally parked vehicles can and will be ticketed, and these tickets are considered valid."

The city fined residents $25.

Mayor Finkbeiner said residents who were ticketed in fact broke the law for parking on a park of a drive that was not paved. He stood by Frederick, who wrote the violations.

"Every law in the city should be enforced and I will defer to the director over the media, that's for dag-gone sure," Mayor Finkbeiner said Monday during a news conference for the city's latest model block project. "I will not second guess her because more times then not she's right and the citizens that are criticizing her are not right."

"He made the statement that more times than not we are the ones that are wrong," said Shelly Cousino, who also receiving a parking violation ticket. "What we were wrong in doing is electing him again."

City Councilman D. Michael Collins met with
Councilman Collins met with residents and collected the tickets. He assured the problem would be resolved.

"If we have time for this Mickey Mouse nonsense something is radically wrong with that," Councilman Collins said.