Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anything Special About this Audi A/S5?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-09, 05:10 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anything Special About this Audi A/S5?

A few days ago, this A/S5 rolled up a few spots away from my GF's house. When I first heard it roll up (before seeing it) it sounded like a Gallardo was running around the corner. But, then this showed up. It's been here for a few days and the other day while walking the dogs, I snapped some photos with my iPhone. I couldn't see anything special about it other than it has no badges besides the Four Rings, it had what looked like a laptop in the passenger seat. What makes me question if there is anything special about it is that it's sporting Michigan Manufacturer plates. Other than that... Nothing other than a SERIOUS exhaust note...

Old 06-16-09, 05:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm looking at the exhaust and the wheels it looks like a a5 (s5 quad pipes). maybe it's a manufacturer test mule? but that doesn't seem like much of a disguise

from what you describe the enginer / exhaust is definitely not stock. stock form it doesn't sound that loud
Old 06-16-09, 05:38 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A5 body but de-badged with manufacturer plates, a crazy exhaust note, and a laptop in the passenger seat. Yeah I bet it's something special.

Does the laptop have a cable connecting it to the car (for readouts from the ECU, etc)?

A plain A5 body would be a perfect 'disguise' for a test mule running around with an RS5 powertrain.
Old 06-16-09, 06:06 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

rs5 test mule?
Old 06-16-09, 07:05 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Does it have a big brake kit? If it does, it could be likely that its a RS5 test mule because not many people would just upgrade their brakes on a A5.

I know that A5s can sound more aggressive then they really are especially with a aftermarket exhausts.
Old 06-16-09, 07:37 PM
LexFather

Seems like a debaged A5 to me

Old 06-16-09, 09:54 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

VW's north american headquaters is in Michigan. VW owns Audi so this A5 is registered to Audi. It also has the S front end for better cooling so if it sounds like a Gallardo it is probably a powertrain test mule for the V-10 that is optional in the A8 for possible use in the A/RS5
Old 06-16-09, 10:48 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Stalk the guy and ask !!
Old 06-16-09, 11:09 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What do you mean S front end? Looks like a standard A5 front end to me, doesn't even have the S-Line bumper kit.
Old 06-17-09, 12:13 AM
Rash
hmm

Love the DeBadging :P
Old 06-17-09, 03:14 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It is just an Audi in need of an oil change...
Old 06-17-09, 04:08 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Standard A5 with debadge, MAYBE exhaust... RS5 would have MUCH bigger grill inlets and quad exhausts... test mule couldn't run "tests" with this set-up
Old 06-17-09, 05:06 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Standard A5 with debadge, MAYBE exhaust... RS5 would have MUCH bigger grill inlets and quad exhausts... test mule couldn't run "tests" with this set-up
Quad exhaust is a cosmetic change in the large majority of cases. It's rare that two exhaust outlets the size of which are on that car aren't capable of releasing all exhaust gases without creating significant backpressure. If backpressure exists it's usually going to be further up the pipe at the muffler, cats, or Y-pipe (if one exists).

As far as the front end goes, it's very possible that similar non-existent limitations apply and the stock Audi A5 front end is more than capable of supplying air and cooling capabilities to the larger powertrain... but for sales and cosmetic purposes (and hey, maybe for some mild performance gains too) they will use a more aggressive front end with larger air inlets.
Old 06-17-09, 06:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

OT, but If it was a laptop sitting on the passenger seat, the driver might want to consider putting it out of sight when they leave the car....
Old 06-17-09, 11:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

look at the shark fin antenna, its not color keyed. Thats is not a US production A5 for sure. My bet that Audi is watch the forums and the big complain so far about the A5 is lack of power for a car that look like it can go much faster. Thats not a 3.2L V6 in there for sure.

Quick Reply: Anything Special About this Audi A/S5?