Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar Poo Poos Lexus Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-09, 01:06 PM
subliiime
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, how so?
I don't think 99.9% of the population live in an apartment while having to park 1.5 blocks away. 50% is probably a little more accurate.
Old 06-17-09, 01:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by subliiime
I don't think 99.9% of the population live in an apartment while having to park 1.5 blocks away. 50% is probably a little more accurate.
No. Most people live in urban areas, and even for those who do not live in apartments, theres still nowhere to plug in when they go to work, etc. So if you drove to work and forgot to shut down your headlights, you're getting towed home.

And for population that lives in the suburbs, the batteries simply do not provide enough charge for the long trips.
Old 06-17-09, 06:44 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
So if you drove to work and forgot to shut down your headlights, you're getting towed home.
LOL. Yes, this is 1989, where you can actually leave your lights on and drain the battery. I cant remember the last time I was in a car that didn't either turn off the lights when the vehicle turned off or the lights turn off after X amount of minutes. Even dome lights today are on timers so you don't drain your battery. Surely a car that relys quite a bit on battery power will have safeguards. Probably will have a seperate, standard car battery that is seperate from the battery pack powering the car.

And that is why there is a gas motor, so you don't have to recharge. But the whole point of the Volt is to go 40 miles (your commute to work and back home) on electric.

Also recall that California has a network of charging stations for electric vehicles (for the EV1, Rav 4 EV, etc.).

No. Most people live in urban areas, and even for those who do not live in apartments
You live a sheltered life if you think that only .1% of the US has access to an outlet in their garage or driveway. You are wrong. So if there are 300 million Americans (so not counting foreigners) then there are only 300,000 garages, driveways, etc. in this country. You are very wrong.

Last edited by SLegacy99; 06-17-09 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-18-09, 12:39 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
And with a 240 outlet the Volt can theoretically be recharged in 3 hours.
I wish my home had this, then I could daily drive my Tesla roadster. J/K...
Old 06-18-09, 07:18 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL. Yes, this is 1989, where you can actually leave your lights on and drain the battery. I cant remember the last time I was in a car that didn't either turn off the lights when the vehicle turned off or the lights turn off after X amount of minutes. Even dome lights today are on timers so you don't drain your battery. Surely a car that relys quite a bit on battery power will have safeguards. Probably will have a seperate, standard car battery that is seperate from the battery pack powering the car.

And that is why there is a gas motor, so you don't have to recharge. But the whole point of the Volt is to go 40 miles (your commute to work and back home) on electric.

Also recall that California has a network of charging stations for electric vehicles (for the EV1, Rav 4 EV, etc.).

You live a sheltered life if you think that only .1% of the US has access to an outlet in their garage or driveway. You are wrong. So if there are 300 million Americans (so not counting foreigners) then there are only 300,000 garages, driveways, etc. in this country. You are very wrong.
Och's point is that for people that the target demographic for the Volt (people who travel less than 40 miles to/from work) are more than likely city folk or people who live relatively close to the city. Another problem with the 40 mile range is that is it's optimal output on a full battery. Traffic in the city will make your range less than 40. Most people who live in the city or close to the city live in apartments or condos because a house isn't that easy to come by in the city that isn't astronomically priced. People who own houses which they can plug their car into probably have very close to or over 40 miles to travel daily to get to work. I think of myself as having a fairly small commute and it's 20 miles total. The .1% I said is an over exaggeration but if you're spending all this money on a car that is supposed to help revive your brand you better be selling to the masses. I'm not knocking on new technology but you better improve it enough where people can use it feasibly.

I don't remember if the gasoline engine charges the car or not. I thought it only supplies enough power to generate electricity to use but not to charge it. If it can charge the battery than ok yea sure you don't need to ever plug it in but isn't that the whole point of the Volt? To not have to use gas only in emergency cases?

For whoever's point it was that if you live in an apartment you shouldn't be driving a $60k car: lots of people in the city do. Apartments can be considered condos too, the only difference between the two usually is buying versus renting. So get that out of your head quickly that people who don't live in houses can't afford $60k cars.

Last edited by Koma; 06-18-09 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-18-09, 07:26 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koma
Another problem with the 40 mile range is that is it's optimal output on a full battery. Traffic in the city will make your range less than 40.
Ah, but the Volt has regenrative braking. And thusfar, thats where hybrid really shine. I pulled 38 MPG the other day in the 400h driving around town. Very satisfying.
Old 06-18-09, 07:33 AM
Koma

Ah, but the Volt has regenrative braking. And thusfar, thats where hybrid really shine. I pulled 38 MPG the other day in the 400h driving around town. Very satisfying.
Good point. How much gain do you return on braking? Anyone know?
Like x power used to get to y speed and braking from y speed to 0 returns z power?

We have a lot of Camry Hybrid taxis in Boston and the sound is strange when it brakes. It reminds me of the Dark Knight BatPod when the wheel flips over.
Old 06-18-09, 09:15 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Obviously you've never lived in the city. I spend 40 minutes in traffic this morning on 1 mile stretch of Brooklyn Queens Expressway. Thanks God this road has electric outlets ever three yards so I was able to keep my plug in electric car charged
Old 06-18-09, 10:06 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rogers2
Honestly you probaly shouldn't be driving a 60k car living in an apartment.
you should tell that to my neighbors. a z4m coupe and a gtr at an apartment complex.
Old 06-18-09, 10:27 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gshb
you should tell that to my neighbors. a z4m coupe and a gtr at an apartment complex.
I would to be honest. I know it's very expensive to live in CA and I have heard storys from my friends on how houses are overprice. So in LA I can understand, I even have heard people get judge by where they stay in LA.

Koma:
Apartment is Apartment it's not a condo. buying versus renting is a huge difference.
Totally two different thing.
I never said that people who don't live in houses can't afford $60k cars. I said people who drive 60k thousands shouldn't be living in apartment. Why not wait until you can afford somewhere to park that nice 60k car.
Old 06-18-09, 03:38 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I never said that people who don't live in houses can't afford $60k cars. I said people who drive 60k thousands shouldn't be living in apartment. Why not wait until you can afford somewhere to park that nice 60k car
So what about the demographic of people who can afford those nice cars but choose to remain single and don't need all of the space that a house can lend them? Let alone those who can afford those nice cars but really don't want the hassle/responsibility/liability of owning a home? I know PLENTY of people who own cars which still make me drool and live in apts/condos simply because they choose not to take on all of the hassles of maintaining a house. For them, it is not lack of money/affordability. With their busy lives, they choose not to have to cut the grass, plow the walk, replace the roof, etc. as you will eventually have to do with a home. Others are just single guys/girls who ust don't need all of the space that a house affords them because it is just them. Apt living vs. home living is a personal choice based on individual needs and situation.
Old 06-18-09, 04:00 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Here's my five cents for all its worth.

In the last five years housing prices were blown out so out of proportion that most people just couldnt afford them anyways, so many isntead just chose to blow their money on a car.
Old 06-18-09, 05:06 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
For example, Porsche has created an flat-6 engine with 380hp and gets near 30 mpg. ..
i want........
Old 06-18-09, 06:30 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Obviously you've never lived in the city. I spend 40 minutes in traffic this morning on 1 mile stretch of Brooklyn Queens Expressway. Thanks God this road has electric outlets ever three yards so I was able to keep my plug in electric car charged
What don't you understand? That is the whole point of this car and hybrid cars in general. Stop and go efficiency. A battery pack and an electric motor, with regenerative brakes enable this. Not a hard concept.