Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar Poo Poos Lexus Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-09, 09:11 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar Poo Poos Lexus Hybrids

Recently we’ve been hearing a lot about Jaguar’s goals to incorporate hybrid technology into their lineup. The Tata Motors owned company isn’t just concentrating on a conventional hybrid system, but is looking to develop a range-extending plug-in hybrid system much like the one found in the Chevrolet Volt.

It has been speculated that the next-generation XJ will feature a plug-in hybrid variant that will be able to travel on electric-power alone until the battery runs out. After that, a small 4-cylinder engine will kick in to provide additional mileage.

Jaguar’s chief engineer Kevin Stride says that Jaguar is staying away from the conventional gasoline-hybrid systems as the ones used on Lexus hybrid vehicles.

“To me, that seems inefficient because a petrol engine isn’t as efficient as an electric motor. You want your most efficient motor driving the wheels,” he said. ”Technically it’s not the right option, but commercially it has been the right answer because it has done wonders for the perception of their brand,” he says.
He said that Jaguar’s Volt-like hybrid system will provide potential performance gains over conventional hybrid and gasoline powertrains
Seems to me like that would be quite expensive...just like the Volt is expected to be.
Old 06-17-09, 09:28 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

“To me, that seems inefficient because a petrol engine isn’t as efficient as an electric motor. You want your most efficient motor driving the wheels,”
I don't know what technology he is talking about.

Petrol engines are now sooo advanced. Electric motors (for cars) are still new and experimental.

Check out the other thread just posted today. For example, Porsche has created an flat-6 engine with 380hp and gets near 30 mpg. The Volt gets 160hp for only a 40-mile range using full electric power, taking 7 hours to recharge it again. Even the Prius' petrol engine is most efficient when compared to its own electric motor (as the electric motor will be "empty" within 20 miles of non-petrol-engine use).

If "you want your most efficient motor driving the wheels," then the petrol engine would be more efficient.

Being stranded with no power is not efficient...
Old 06-17-09, 09:31 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Well the Prius electric motor is limited by the battery capacity, a Li-ion would certainly help that.

And with a 240 outlet the Volt can theoretically be recharged in 3 hours. Far longer than at a gas pump, but for much cheaper.
Old 06-17-09, 09:37 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

That's all fine and dandy, but what about the reliability part? Jags as is are horrible when it comes to reliability, if they throw all the complex technology into it, I wonder whether their cars will be in the shop more then they are driven.
Old 06-17-09, 10:22 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I don't know what technology he is talking about.

Petrol engines are now sooo advanced. Electric motors (for cars) are still new and experimental.

Check out the other thread just posted today. For example, Porsche has created an flat-6 engine with 380hp and gets near 30 mpg. The Volt gets 160hp for only a 40-mile range using full electric power, taking 7 hours to recharge it again. Even the Prius' petrol engine is most efficient when compared to its own electric motor (as the electric motor will be "empty" within 20 miles of non-petrol-engine use).

If "you want your most efficient motor driving the wheels," then the petrol engine would be more efficient.

Being stranded with no power is not efficient...
Took the words out of my mouth. One setup works if you only commute in town or short distances. Take a road trip or drive longer than an hour and Lexus Hybrid Drive is suddenly exponentially more efficient
Old 06-17-09, 10:27 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The plug in solution in its current stage suffers from two problems.

It is utterly useless in suburban area because it doesnt have enough juice for long trips.

It is also utterly useless in a busy city area because theres nowhere to plug it in.
Old 06-17-09, 10:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

After I made the post above I reread the article which mentions there being a 4 cylinder engine for when the battery power runs out.

While theoretically, you are producing 0 emissions and using 0 gas while you are on the electric charge, I have to wonder how fuel efficient a 4 cylinder 4200lb luxury saloon is. A smaller engine has to work much harder when it's pulling more mass, and I would be surprised if a 4 banger could get any better than 20mpg in something that weighs as much as a full size luxury sedan. A V6 would probably yield the best result as modern V6s are miraculously efficient and produce more than enough power for one of these big rigs.
Old 06-17-09, 11:16 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
After I made the post above I reread the article which mentions there being a 4 cylinder engine for when the battery power runs out.

While theoretically, you are producing 0 emissions and using 0 gas while you are on the electric charge, I have to wonder how fuel efficient a 4 cylinder 4200lb luxury saloon is. A smaller engine has to work much harder when it's pulling more mass, and I would be surprised if a 4 banger could get any better than 20mpg in something that weighs as much as a full size luxury sedan. A V6 would probably yield the best result as modern V6s are miraculously efficient and produce more than enough power for one of these big rigs.
Maybe it's a Honda style hybrid where the engine generates electricity that powers the electric motors?
Old 06-17-09, 11:28 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by Och
The plug in solution in its current stage suffers from two problems.

It is utterly useless in suburban area because it doesnt have enough juice for long trips.

It is also utterly useless in a busy city area because theres nowhere to plug it in.
I never saw it this way. That's actually pretty terrible because city folk (like me) don't have a way of using an extension cord to their car. My car is parked 1.5 blocks away from my apartment. This only works if you have a house or a townhouse. Volt = gimmick. It works for about .1% of the NA market.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Maybe it's a Honda style hybrid where the engine generates electricity that powers the electric motors?
That's what I thought, just like the Volt.
Old 06-17-09, 11:51 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koma
I never saw it this way. That's actually pretty terrible because city folk (like me) don't have a way of using an extension cord to their car. My car is parked 1.5 blocks away from my apartment. This only works if you have a house or a townhouse. Volt = gimmick. It works for about .1% of the NA market.
.1%? That's exagerating a bit, don't you think? It's definately closer to 50%.
Old 06-17-09, 12:14 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Electric motors (for cars) are still new and experimental.
Not that new and experimental - they celebrate 100 old years this year. Jay Leno has three:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...e/4215940.html
Old 06-17-09, 12:20 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
.1%? That's exagerating a bit, don't you think? It's definately closer to 50%.
LOL, how so?
Old 06-17-09, 12:27 PM
LexFather

Fisker's car will be like that. The small GM 4-cylinder will charge the batteries only.

The Jag XF is a tremendous car but sales here have dropped significantly in one year. They have a new diesel in Europe and the reviews call it either class leading or tied with the BMW 5 diesel.

Old 06-17-09, 12:42 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think both hybrids are needed, the more the merry. For example I rarely drive my Benz. The majority of the time the car is just sitting in my garage. During that time the car can be charging. So the volt would probably work perfect for me.

Honestly you probaly shouldn't be driving a 60k car living in an apartment.
Old 06-17-09, 12:51 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Not that new and experimental - they celebrate 100 old years this year. Jay Leno has three:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...e/4215940.html
I know.

Quick Reply: Jaguar Poo Poos Lexus Hybrids