Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More Toyobaru info

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-09, 07:05 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default More Toyobaru info

A "Toyota insider" has supposedly spilled a few more beans to 7Tune about the upcoming front-engine, rear-wheel drive coupe the automaker is collaborating on with Subaru, and according to the source, the 2+2 will carry a few of the Lexus LF-A's design cues when it hits the market next year.

Although Lexus' "L-Finesse" styling has remained exclusive to Toyota's luxury brand, certain elements of the language have begun to filter down to the automaker's mainstream models, specifically the recently released Venza CUV. The rendering above hints at some of the lines that could make the cut on the production version of the "086A," but contrary to past reports, 7Tune's tipster says that the Toyota and Subaru versions won't be remarkably different – only the front grille, headlamps and taillights will be unique. The report goes on to say that Toyota is desperately trying to keep the price below the two million yen mark (a little over $20,000) and, coinciding with earlier rumors, Subaru is actively considering offering an STI version of the coupe.

In a related story, ToMoCo's new president, Akio Toyoda – the exec who recently piloted the LF-A around the Green Hell during the 24 Hours of Nürburgring – told Auto Motor und Sport, "This sports culture, which we have neglected for so long, will again be maintained." Toyoda clearly wants to see the automaker back on the radar of enthusiasts and the first example of this newfound focus could find its way onto the stage at this year's Tokyo Motor Show.A "Toyota insider" has supposedly spilled a few more beans to 7Tune about the upcoming front-engine, rear-wheel drive coupe the automaker is collaborating on with Subaru, and according to the source, the 2+2 will carry a few of the Lexus LF-A's design cues when it hits the market next year.

source: autoblog

...the on-again-off-again “Project 086a” though when the economy turned south even the most faithful stopped holding their collective breath. But check it: “For this crisis not to become too long, we must start creating dreams again. This is most easily accomplished through good, emotional products.”

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/blog...-car-heritage/
Old 06-17-09, 07:09 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, I would love for a new 20k coupe to look that good
Old 06-17-09, 08:10 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xioix
Damn, I would love for a new 20k coupe to look that good
throw in the sty's power plant and you can have a real winner especialy if the toybaru with the sty engine will be under 30k and offer track packages and or a touring package with nice leather recaros ooooooooooooh that would be great!!
Old 06-17-09, 08:52 PM
LexFather

In a related story, ToMoCo's new president, Akio Toyoda – the exec who recently piloted the LF-A around the Green Hell during the 24 Hours of Nürburgring – told Auto Motor und Sport, "This sports culture, which we have neglected for so long, will again be maintained." Toyoda clearly wants to see the automaker back on the radar of enthusiasts and the first example of this newfound focus could find its way onto the stage at this year's Tokyo Motor Show.A "Toyota insider" has supposedly spilled a few more beans to 7Tune about the upcoming front-engine, rear-wheel drive coupe the automaker is collaborating on with Subaru, and according to the source, the 2+2 will carry a few of the Lexus LF-A's design cues when it hits the market next year.

Awesome...

Old 06-17-09, 08:57 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Thread full of positive right here
Old 06-17-09, 09:10 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

This rendering looks too good for a $20K coupe, it almost looks good enough to be the LF-A
Old 06-17-09, 09:15 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Im not sure how I feel about a 20K Toyota looking like a six figure Lexus. Not really liking that idea.
Old 06-17-09, 09:26 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Awesome...
Alwyas had a sneaky feeling that the Toyobaru would have some of the LF-A's design cues. As long as they aren't kissing cousins, that is fine with me, that render looks damn good, and if it turns out better looking than the genesis, Hyundai's pretty pig is dead in the water.
Old 06-17-09, 09:41 PM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

Cant wait for this car
Old 06-17-09, 10:01 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Rear looks like the SVX
Old 06-17-09, 11:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Seems like Toyota may be working on a decent little sports car. I hope the current market doesn't kill it
Old 06-18-09, 12:29 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

How come the other rendering I've seen looks so much different than this one? This one looks way too good for $20k and won't have the power to back up its looks. It'll have what... around 170hp?
Old 06-18-09, 05:58 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sleeper408
How come the other rendering I've seen looks so much different than this one? This one looks way too good for $20k and won't have the power to back up its looks. It'll have what... around 170hp?
~220hp, ~2700lbs....

Similar power to weight to your GS.

Why are people complaining that it looks "too good" for $20k?

Just a few weeks ago, people were worried that because it was toyota and subaru building it, it wouldn't look good at all...
Old 06-18-09, 06:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The article said

The rendering above hints at some of the lines that could make the cut on the production version of the "086A

Which mean its not going to look like the rendering.
Old 06-18-09, 07:02 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I want my Subaru coupe. And this car is supposed to come out right when I finish grad school. Very nice.

Quick Reply: More Toyobaru info