Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dodge Caliber and Chrysler Pacifica, where is the love?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-09, 01:44 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
What domestic sedan might you consider and what would be the current cost? With the possible exception of one of the Cadillacs V-Spec cars, I can't imagine one that I'd be happy with even if it were at a huge discount vs. some of the imports.
Note the use of the "used" qualifier. Imports, primarily Toyota and Honda are maintaining their value well on the resale market, not so the domestics. Look at a three or four year old Malibu, Impala, or even a Taurus or Five Hundred. Not saying any of these are watershed automobiles, but for the money, say under $10K, they represent a good value in transportation.

Last edited by Lil4X; 06-25-09 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-25-09, 07:55 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Look at a three or four year old Malibu, Impala, or even a Taurus or Five Hundred. Not saying any of these are watershed automobiles, but for the money, say under $10K, they represent a good value in transportation.
I agree -- probably a decent value for the money. For me though, even with "only" $10K to spend (not that that's an insignificant amount of $), for bang for the buck I'd probably buy the best LS400 those bucks would get me, and I'd think I was in heaven compared to those domestics even if they are 10 years newer. LOL
Old 06-26-09, 07:09 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For kids getting their "starter" cars, or people on a tight budget, buying a sub-$10K car is an economic necessity. Purchasing an aging Lexus or any other luxury car is a very poor investment for two reasons:
  1. Old, high-mileage cars tend to require frequent or expensive repairs. If the owner depends on that car to get to work, he needs something that is simple and reliable.

2. Lexus and other luxury marques simply have more to go wrong since they are so heavily loaded with technology. Technology is expensive to repair. You have two choices; repair on the cheap and take a chance your local shade tree mechanic is competent, or have the car serviced regularly by your dealer.
The latter can be a budget-buster - my oil changes from my Lexus dealer cost $100 - my local oil change franchise charges $19.99 . . . however, to be fair, they do not throw in free lattes and a carwash.

The present economy requires some unconventional thinking. We may have to start handling our money responsibly.
Old 06-26-09, 08:51 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

....Purchasing an aging Lexus or any other luxury car is a very poor investment for two reasons....
I disagree, depending upon what one might be thinking of spending the $10K on. I would NEVER buy a $10K MB, BMW, etc. unless I was prepared for trouble and expense. But I have never seen a half-decently maintained RWD Lexus give any significant amount of problems prior to 200-250K miles, and the 3 or 4 GS and LS that I personally know that have 300-400K on them haven't had much of anything done beyond regularly scheduled maintenance. Lumping these vehicles in with the generalized groups of "Old, high mileage cars" and "other luxury marques" leads one on the wrong path of thinking, IMO. For example, if one wants luxury and comfort at a bang for the buck price, it's relatively easy to find nice, mid-'90's LS400's with 80-110K miles and still in outstanding condition. These cars probably still have more trouble-free miles left in them than many new cars. LOL

Edit: for those interested, lots of 200+K mile LS400s reported in this thread, quick click on a few pages revealed one at 325+ checking in... hardly anyone reporting significant mtce and repair required.... Amazing cars, IMO... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...eir-ls400.html

Last edited by I6turbo; 06-26-09 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-26-09, 10:01 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I disagree, depending upon what one might be thinking of spending the $10K on. I would NEVER buy a $10K MB, BMW, etc. unless I was prepared for trouble and expense. But I have never seen a half-decently maintained RWD Lexus give any significant amount of problems prior to 200-250K miles, and the 3 or 4 GS and LS that I personally know that have 300-400K on them haven't had much of anything done beyond regularly scheduled maintenance. Lumping these vehicles in with the generalized groups of "Old, high mileage cars" and "other luxury marques" leads one on the wrong path of thinking, IMO.
I agree with you. Or to simplify, reliable high-quality new cars make more reliable used cars too.