Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Static Review: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 10:32 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the Japanese version Right Hand Drive for that market?
Old 08-19-09, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Is the Japanese version Right Hand Drive for that market?
Possible, but not likely. GM, in the past, on a number of its domestic models, has not been willing to spend the extra time and money it takes to do right-hand drive models for the British, Australian, and Japanese markets, though, of course, it re-did the Australian Holdens, in reverse, for the American GTO and G8.

One of these days, I'm going to try and actually FINISH this static review and test-drive a new Camaro. It's embarassing to do something only halfway and not finish it....particularly me and my reviews. But it's been difficult; the 2010 production model line is now completely sold out. What few cars are available are generally kept under wraps until they are sold. The popularity of the new Camaro is amazing....for maybe the first time in history, it has outsold the Mustang, and is limited now only by availability problems. And, of course, I've been busy with other CL 2010 review requests.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-19-09 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-19-09, 09:42 AM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As it can be seen from my previous posts, I am very biased towards the car.

Coming from a "fleet" of Acura's, Toyota's and Lexusessss i was never a fan of the American car. The domestic car market never ever enticed me enough to purchase a vehicle. Just look the American Car manufactureres performance in the last 10+ years. Surely I am not categorizing ALL the domestics as junk since i do appreciate the following vehicles:

Corvette
Tahoe
Denali's
CTS
Escalade

And thats about it. To me (in my humble and subjective opinion) everything else is the reason we have Government Motors.

But starting from the first Transformers, and maybe i am getting older and wiser and hitting an early mid life crisis in my mid 30's(as my wife thinks so) I fell in love with this car.

I have been following its production and every other aspect of it. Heck i even rented one!

There is no way I am going to compare this car to the Lexuses and Beamers of the world because its not even in the same segment. Its an all American muscle car with modernized retro styling especially in the inside. It has raw power, it looks BEAUTIFUL! (yes i said it) and even has more personality that some of the cars that I *cough" used to love

Since styling and opinions are all in fact just personal opinions and subjective anyway, not everyone will love these cars. Its not perfect. The dealers have little to NO allocations till FEB'10 ( believe me, i have talked to a few), thier marking up the car $10 grands (I aint buyin a $50,000 camaro!)

Great review btw. Hopefully you will be able to review a fully loaded 2SS.

Last edited by NYlexus; 08-19-09 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-19-09, 10:02 PM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review, I can't believe the price they were trying to charge for that car! $34K! I thought I remember reading somewhere that MSRP on the V8 w/ the RS package was only like $35k. That is a hell of a mark up!

I really like the exterior styling on the car though!
Old 08-20-09, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=CLNSC3;4780441]Thanks for the review, [QUOTE]

Sure. Anytime.

I can't believe the price they were trying to charge for that car! $34K! I thought I remember reading somewhere that MSRP on the V8 w/ the RS package was only like $35k. That is a hell of a mark up!
34K is nothing. You should have seen what they wanted for the first SS models to come in.

I really like the exterior styling on the car though!
Yes. All three pony cars today, Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro, are first-rate in the looks department.
Old 08-20-09, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NYlexus

Great review btw. Hopefully you will be able to review a fully loaded 2SS.
Thanks. All of the 2010 model run, supposedly, is sold out, but we'll see...there may be a few repos or order cancellations.

GM apparantly did not anticipate theis car's popularity, having seen, with previous-generation models, that the Mustang consistantly outsold it.

Also remember....mass popularity as a new car does not necessarily mean continued popularity in the long run. The two-seater Thunderbird of 2001 was a good example...it sold like hell for two years, then, after that, sat around on dealer lots. It was discontinued after 4 years or so.