Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ferrari Pulls Out of F1 (7 other teams too)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 12:31 PM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F1 Split

I am really suprised that there are not more F1 fans on this site. People here seem to know a great deal about cars but not to many people following F1.
...anyway...Does anyone want to try a guess what is going to happen if the manufactures split from the series? I am a huge open wheel nut and I am still bitter about the split the Champ car series had a few years back. The series almost killed open wheel racing in the U.S. all together, and I still don't think that series has the talent it once had. I'd really hate to see a split between the major manufactures, Toyota, Ferrari, Mercedes, and the likes...
Old 06-09-09, 12:35 PM
LexFather

It seems it continues to go down the drain. If there is even less competition next year what the hell is the point.

Too many rules, too much money. Get back to basics I say.

Old 06-09-09, 12:42 PM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It seems it continues to go down the drain. If there is even less competition next year what the hell is the point.

Too many rules, too much money. Get back to basics I say.
I agree . There is no way around it...It is expensive. I can't afford it, but if someone else wants to spend the money, why not let them? Toyota is a great example...They have spent Billions and can only produce a front row start. They don't even have a 1 win...They spend more then anyone, so money is only a part of the issue. The people with the money will find a place to race.
it is a different type of race too. It's more of a race of technology. Not to the finish line for a particular race. It's just different. To see each week, which team has come up with something no one else has is pretty amazing when you consider the recourses they all have.
Old 06-09-09, 05:52 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't bothered posting anything because of how fluid the situation is and frankly I'm amazed at watching the giant game of chicken being played. I hope FOTA has the guts to stand up to Bernie and Max but if it actually comes to a break-away series I'll be bumming for the some of the same reasons you state and the history of manufacturers to come and go at their whim.

OTOH.. The *best* interview I've read yet regarding what is going on was with Sir Frank Williams. Absolutely Hilarious! I wish everyone in F1 were as grounded/reasonable/(pick your phrase) as he is.
Old 06-09-09, 06:29 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

F1 seems to have gone the way of the NFL.

WAY too many rules. FEWER RULES!!
Old 06-09-09, 08:47 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I like to Watch F1 once in a while........
Old 06-09-09, 09:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I watch it every now and then as well, but I prefer to watch GT racing. I think F1 gets a little boring because the battles dont happen as frequently as they do in GT racing. You can rub in GT racing. In open wheel its an invitation for disaster. Therefore pasing is done differntly. I watch it for the cool shots of the **** pit with the rpms shooting up to 11k and the speedometer at 170
Old 06-10-09, 11:14 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with most, it is not the most exciting thing to watch on TV. I'm not one for rules but I think everyone is getting side tracked by the "rule changes"...It's more of an evolution of the rules. The same rules that help to define the sport.
How many people have been lucky enough to see F1 live? I've gone to a number of races. Once you see and hear the cars, you will be hooked for life.
The way these things break is insane. They go from 200mph, to first gear in 50ft. The engines now rev to over 18,ooo rpm's. They feel more like airplanes passing you then they do cars. Keep in mind all the negative feed back about rule changes last year, and look at what's happening. The one thing I can't figure out is if they are constantly changing the rules, how does this save money? The R&D process changes as much as the rules. Each change in process has a cost associated with it... sorry if this runs on and on...I really dig F1
Old 06-10-09, 01:17 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

Default I have been following F1 for about 9 years now

I love it, saw the next to last F1 race at INDY live, and if I could afford it, would love to see some races in Europe.
I know, in the past, it WAS boring, Schumacher winning all the time, but how can anyone say its boring this year ? Are you really watching it ??
Brawn came out of nowhere and has wond like what all but one race ?? And they dont even have KERS yet, right ??
I think right now, this season, it has been the most competitive (translated not boring) than any other season to date.
I hate what they are doing to the rules all the time, and they might just well ruin it for good someday. I still love it, to me, this is true racing, and not roundy-round stuff at speed, which is good too I guess, but it makes me dizzy
I am so happy for Jenson Button, a really nice guy, who has been laboring for years in non-competitive rides, to now get some huge wins. And the newest guys, like Sebastian Vettel are taking it to the old regime and cleaning their clocks ! This never used to happen, right ?
Would love to see the race live at say, Monaco someday..
DanF
Old 06-10-09, 01:28 PM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

YES! Someone else gets it! Something that I can't believe no one recognizes is the fact that the Brawn team didn't really come from no where. Ross Brawn came on board with Honda, last year and right away noticed the issues with the Honda car. So he started working on the 09' car on Honda's budget. Rubens and Brawn were really the R&D team behind Shummy winning so many titles. And if you get a chance take a look at the people that Brawn brought on board. They are all staples in F1. Ross Brawn is a master mind...I've been following F1 from the mid 80's. It's changed allot, but this is a very exciting year in the evolution.
Old 06-10-09, 02:09 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

I remember living in malaysia a while back and seeing the Malaysian GP in 2002. This was back during a time of V8s vs. V10s and Schumacher reined supreme. These days it doesn't have the flavor that it once had. I've gotten older since then sure, but these days i hear nothing but complaints about a once great sport.

I haven't watched one in a while, but i find it ironic that a team formed form out of the blue has come out and kicked so much ***. Props go out to Button as well for being dissed so many years and now finally enjoying the spotlight.
Old 06-10-09, 04:17 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
I haven't bothered posting anything because of how fluid the situation is and frankly I'm amazed at watching the giant game of chicken being played. I hope FOTA has the guts to stand up to Bernie and Max but if it actually comes to a break-away series I'll be bumming for the some of the same reasons you state and the history of manufacturers to come and go at their whim.

OTOH.. The *best* interview I've read yet regarding what is going on was with Sir Frank Williams. Absolutely Hilarious! I wish everyone in F1 were as grounded/reasonable/(pick your phrase) as he is.
This.

Really not in the mood to go off on a tirade about the way things are going in F1 right now.
Old 06-10-09, 04:33 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

One of the best days in my life was going to see the U.S. gp at Indy, to hear 20 of those F1 cars go by is just amazing!! I used to love F1, watching it all the time, but like in other sports got sick and tired of the poltics and BS. The final straw was not having the Canadain GP this year!! I understand why there is no U.S. GP, F1 is never going to be a big thing in the US, I get that, but in Canada the GP is a very big deal, especially gilles villanuve, it was one of the biggest sports events in Canada, and even US fans can go and see it, and with the course layout was always a great race. But No, F1 turned thier back on North America, only one of the richest(money and business wise) contients in the world, and rather go to China, the middle east etc.., so they turned their backs on ALL north americans, so the hell with them!!!- I won't watch until they return to north america!!, hopefully the FIA will get thier$#%^ together sooner rather then later and will regain common sense!( rant over)
Old 06-11-09, 10:13 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Two more teams, Toro Rossa, and Red Bull, have handed in thier entry for next year, going against FOTA...The Force Indy and williams teams have done the same and were banned from FOTA. This will be very interesting since both these teams use engines from manufactures who have not yet agreed to join
F1 next season.
Old 06-18-09, 08:50 PM
Alfalover
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Ferrari Pulls Out of F1 (7 other teams too)

Ferrari and 7 other teams including McLaren:

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2009/...8161245374886/

Quick Reply: Ferrari Pulls Out of F1 (7 other teams too)