Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 11:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

i can't quite understand all the raves here about the interior. looks like a G37 to me.

exterior and interior both have a LOT of curves. in dunnojack's pics above i (shock) think the GS looks better...

anyway, this doesn't do a whole lot for me, but i'm sure it will be a great car especially with a big 5.6L V8
Old 08-14-09, 11:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Infiniti nailed it with this new design. I think the exterior looks sporty and classy, and the interior is beautiful. The last M was the highest ranked sedan that consumer reports has ever tested. I am sure Infiniti will want to maintain the broad appeal and excellent ratings
Old 08-15-09, 12:16 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Im not really fond of the exterior rear. Infiniti doesnt make good rears.
Old 08-15-09, 01:04 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i can't quite understand all the raves here about the interior. looks like a G37 to me.

exterior and interior both have a LOT of curves. in dunnojack's pics above i (shock) think the GS looks better...

anyway, this doesn't do a whole lot for me, but i'm sure it will be a great car especially with a big 5.6L V8
Thank you. Interior is straight out of a Maxima/350Z/G37 aka Skyline. Exterior looks like a sedan EX or Hyundai Azera with more style.

. I also don't like luxury cars redesigned after 4 or 5 years, thats for non luxury brands to do. The Maxima is arguably still the best looking sedan they make.

Overall, powertrains sound good and this car has ****ted all over anything Acura has ever made.

Last edited by LexFather; 08-15-09 at 09:06 AM.

Old 08-15-09, 01:15 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Overall, powertrains sound good but I'd actually take a CURRENT 5 over this. This car has ****ted all over anything Acura has ever made.
Awww, come on now, don't bash Acura like that. They're going to take over the entire car market one FWD V6 car at a time - they even said so themselves...
Old 08-15-09, 02:45 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think new GS will be able to counter it in V8 segment. Maybe they come out with some high performance hybrid but that is also highly unlikely considering that Lexus is turning their hybirds into fuel efficient vehicles now. I have hopes they don't bland out new GS otherwise this new M will walk all over it
Old 08-15-09, 03:27 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After looking at the obvious step up in quality of this new M and seeing as Infiniti is going to be using a 5.6L V8 with over 400hp to drive it, it occurred to me that maybe they have plans on moving the M upmarket into flagship territory. By the looks of it, it is certainly worthy enough to be their new flagship. They could offer a long wheelbase version and how could anyone suggest it wouldn't be worthy enough to compete with the LS, 7 series, and S Class? It's already been rumored that Infiniti is going to be coming out with a sedan below the G37 soon, so perhaps they're planning on moving the G up to compete with the GS, E Class, & the 5 series, moving the M to flagship status, and having the new as of yet unnamed sedan fill in the entry level to compete with the IS, 3 series, A4, etc. The G sedan is already larger than anything else in its class and so is the M. Do they really need a new Q? ...just a thought.

Anyway, I think it looks fantastic
Old 08-15-09, 05:51 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like it has the same wheels as the '10 2IS, the snout of the FX and I think I see a little bit of a quattroporte from the side??
Old 08-15-09, 05:53 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I think it's a knock-out inside and out. The specs look formidable... certainly has the potential to clobber almost anything else in the segment seeing as how the current M still holds its own against newer competitors.

Some of the above styling criticisms are puzzling. Of course you're going to see details similarities to other designs. Show me another car anywhere which doesn't. And of course it looks like other Infiniti products, duh. That's by design.

Overall there's an elegance to this design which is very Japanese to me. The use of form and texture. Probably the most purely Japanese aesthetic of any of the Japanese Luxury brands.
Old 08-15-09, 06:00 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Press Release

2011 Infiniti M Makes Virtual Debut at Concours d’Elegance
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (Aug. 14, 2009) – Infiniti today provided an advanced look at the all-new 2011 Infiniti M performance luxury sedan at the 59th Annual Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. This is the third generation of Infiniti’s popular M and the first to be sold across all of Infiniti’s 32 markets around the world, including Western Europe.

Like the current Infiniti M, the next-generation design will be offered with V8 and V6 engines. The 2011 M models will be designated the Infiniti M56 and Infiniti M37 respectively, reflecting their more powerful, larger displacement engines. The M56 V8 is expected to offer more than 400 horsepower. For Western Europe, the M56 will be replaced by a V6 performance diesel.

The 2011 Infiniti M also features a completely redesigned body, with authentic sports sedan proportions and evocative new styling with a low front end and deeply sculpted fenders inspired by the Infiniti Essence concept car. The new M interior promises to be pure Infiniti, highlighted by the use of innovative materials, an advanced climate control system, superior audio and an enhanced quality feel. Despite improved performance from the new engine lineup, fuel consumption will be reduced.

In addition, the 2011 M will continue Infiniti’s technology innovation leadership with a blind spot intervention system. This industry-first system is designed to help alert the driver if another vehicle is detected in an adjacent lane during an intended lane change, and then help assist the driver in returning the vehicle toward the center of the original lane of travel.

The 2011 Infiniti M, which is scheduled to go on sale across the world starting from spring 2010, was revealed through a unique “video mapping” process – in which a “virtual M” was created on a 3D form. It is the world’s first “virtual only” (no physical vehicle) automotive application of this cutting-edge technology. The 2011 Infiniti M will make its official public debut later this year.

Old 08-15-09, 07:10 AM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vladi
I have hopes they don't bland out new GS otherwise this new M will walk all over it
you mean like how the current M walks all over the GS?
Old 08-15-09, 07:12 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Infiniti just set the bar extremely, extremely high for the 4GS. The interior and the performance numbers look easily class leading by a significant margin.

If Lexus simply hopes to "up the quotient" like they (barely) did with the 3GS then they shouldn't even bother. The car will nearly have to be a revolution to regain the crown.

Congrats to Infiniti for building such a knockout
Old 08-15-09, 07:12 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

if you've seen a g37 interior, you'd know this M is 10x more luxurious than it.

just look how they sculpted the doors, and the materials they used.

and then compare to all the hard plastic they use in the G

it's no comparison

they would fail if those silver pieces were just painted plastic. hope they use real aluminum

Last edited by dunnojack; 08-15-09 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-15-09, 07:29 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I was about to post the same thing DJ. The only remote similarity is the two-tiered dash, which is even still quite different. This interior looks two classes above the G, and even one step above the new E and XF IMO.
Old 08-15-09, 07:47 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I don't think new GS will be able to counter it in V8 segment. Maybe they come out with some high performance hybrid but that is also highly unlikely considering that Lexus is turning their hybirds into fuel efficient vehicles now. I have hopes they don't bland out new GS otherwise this new M will walk all over it
Actually, Lexus will answer with GS-F. Which I'm sure will destroy this M.

Quick Reply: Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread