Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-09, 04:57 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the front of this car is disgusting. The side profile is good. I love the rear end. The interior looks great in my opinion. Overall I think this is a nice evolution from the last generation. A 5.6 engine...that totally came out of nowhere.... just.... wow. Dunno if it is the right move what with CAFE standards and all, and I should think that their 5.0 would have been more than able to make 400+hp, but.. I guess they know they want and what they are doing.

Re: 4GS' ability to compete?

Why not? I think the 4.6 is more than capable of making at least 420hp without much of a fuss, the only question is whether or not Lexus wants to get back into the horsepower war. IMHO, Lexus needs to focus on keeping the weight of the GS down, and make sure that it has the lightest car in this segment long with at least 400hp out of the current 4.6 V8.

This should not be the wake up call for Lexus. Porsche, Aston, Jag all have or soon will have excellent cars out in this segment. The GS needs to hit the ball out of the park, like the 2GS did, and I think Lexus are more than capable. I do not trust them however, to want to.

GS350 (V6) w/~330hp
GS460 (V8) w/~420hp

GS F (de-tuned V10) w/~525hp with sector leading hp/w ratio
GS h (Hybrid li + V6) w/~375hp and class leading mileage

With a nice design, built like a vault and touring (performance) and Luxury packages.
Old 08-16-09, 07:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I like the way the car look from every side. I think the 4GS will need to be pretty damn good to top this. I am excited to see how Lexus will respond
Old 08-16-09, 08:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1

Why not? I think the 4.6 is more than capable of making at least 420hp without much of a fuss,...
uh, that would be more than the tuned up 5.0 in the IS-F.

IMHO, Lexus needs to focus on keeping the weight of the GS down, and make sure that it has the lightest car in this segment long with at least 400hp out of the current 4.6 V8.
that would be great but that's still a 20%+ HP bump.

The GS needs to hit the ball out of the park, like the 2GS did, and I think Lexus are more than capable. I do not trust them however, to want to.
i agree!
Old 08-16-09, 08:50 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i doubt lexus will participate in the horsepower wars.

lexus should focus on tightening the frame of the 4GS and preventing it from rattling. #1.

horsepower can come last. it is plenty enough right now. another .2 seconds faster to 60 won't make a big difference. it doesn't make you merge onto the freeway any faster

no one wants a rattletrap boat on wheels.

i've said it many times. lexus needs a shaking machine to shake the crap out of the cars to help find the parts that rattle.

Last edited by dunnojack; 08-16-09 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-16-09, 10:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw, my 07 Lexus does not rattle.
Old 08-16-09, 10:12 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
after staring at the M interior for a few minutes, that A8 interior looks soooo OLD and anachronistic
maybe someting with the audi's interior being 7 years old??
Old 08-17-09, 05:13 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Wow, I really like what I'm seeing in this car

Indeed, nice job to Carlos Ghosn, Shiro Nakamura and the team behind this superb vehicle. With that said, I can't wait too see specs on this

Old 08-17-09, 05:31 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1

Why not? I think the 4.6 is more than capable of making at least 420hp without much of a fuss, the only question is whether or not Lexus wants to get back into the horsepower war. IMHO, Lexus needs to focus on keeping the weight of the GS down, and make sure that it has the lightest car in this segment long with at least 400hp out of the current 4.6 V8.

This should not be the wake up call for Lexus. Porsche, Aston, Jag all have or soon will have excellent cars out in this segment. The GS needs to hit the ball out of the park, like the 2GS did, and I think Lexus are more than capable. I do not trust them however, to want to.

GS350 (V6) w/~330hp
GS460 (V8) w/~420hp

GS F (de-tuned V10) w/~525hp with sector leading hp/w ratio
GS h (Hybrid li + V6) w/~375hp and class leading mileage

With a nice design, built like a vault and touring (performance) and Luxury packages.
Those numbers look more like a whishlist to be honest and I would be very surprised if those numbers turned out like that. I am expecting from Lexus GS to firm up the ride, introduce some new and cool tech, handsome design inside and out and that's it. If I am going to speculate about engine I would say V8 would be a carry over from what current LS would be at the time (460 or 500), same V6 (probably next gen IS would get new 3.5 instead of GS) and hybrid targeted toward efficiency instead of performance.

I think new M raised the bar for whole mid size class not just for GS and that is a good thing. If M stays far ahead and no one catches up, especially BMW with V8TT and XF with upcoming SV8, that means they did a great job and deserve the credit for the first time since introducing the G series.
Old 08-17-09, 06:13 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vladi
Those numbers look more like a whishlist to be honest and I would be very surprised if those numbers turned out like that. I am expecting from Lexus GS to firm up the ride, introduce some new and cool tech, handsome design inside and out and that's it. If I am going to speculate about engine I would say V8 would be a carry over from what current LS would be at the time (460 or 500), same V6 (probably next gen IS would get new 3.5 instead of GS) and hybrid targeted toward efficiency instead of performance.

I think new M raised the bar for whole mid size class not just for GS and that is a good thing. If M stays far ahead and no one catches up, especially BMW with V8TT and XF with upcoming SV8, that means they did a great job and deserve the credit for the first time since introducing the G series.
Yes, it is pretty much a wish-list, but based on the fact that I'm sure the engines are more than capable of those numbers, and painting a target for where the competition will be around at that time. I think the most important thing for the GS is for it to be built like a vault, without being grossly overweight or underpowered.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
uh, that would be more than the tuned up 5.0 in the IS-F.

that would be great but that's still a 20%+ HP bump.

i agree!
I think that the 5.0 is capable of 450-460hp, and I anxiously await to see the result of the current engine technology integrated with Toyota's valvematic, which yields on average a ~10% bump in hp/tq **AND** fuel economy. I fear it might still be a generation away from happening, or that it might be unable to be integrated with DI, but looking at what is out there, Lexus needs to get it's head in the game. Plodding along not paying attention to the competition will not work beyond this generation.

p.s. 380 hp + 10% (38 hp) = 418 hp
Old 08-17-09, 08:09 AM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

I believe by next year there will be a new Model design by eveyrone except Audi , Jaguar And lexus in the premium luxury segment...

(Dont know if acura will be around looking at the deisgn they have come out with, with the ZDX leading the way with the king of atrocity)

New 5 series (2011 model year)
New E class (2010 model year)
New M (2011 model year)

Audi needs to step it up with the exterior design on the A6..But I really think the 4GS definitely needs to add punch when it comes out late next year (guessing)
Old 08-17-09, 08:57 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xcntuatd77
I believe by next year there will be a new Model design by eveyrone except Audi , Jaguar And lexus in the premium luxury segment...

(Dont know if acura will be around looking at the deisgn they have come out with, with the ZDX leading the way with the king of atrocity)

New 5 series (2011 model year)
New E class (2010 model year)
New M (2011 model year)

Audi needs to step it up with the exterior design on the A6..But I really think the 4GS definitely needs to add punch when it comes out late next year (guessing)

i doubt the 4gs will be out before spring 2011.
Old 08-17-09, 09:09 AM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

I was never a fan of the previous generation M since i hated the rear....tooo big and the rear lights could have been used to help land a lost plane.....so I bought the 3GS.

On the the other hand, i am loving this styling...the whole curvy wavy carved in an aggressive manner look is quite sexy. I think it does look like the G37 on steroids. The interior is dazzlingly good looking...just beautiful.

If we were not considering a SUV, i would definitely consider this. Good job Infiniti

Lexus has to show up to the party with their 4GS or they will loose market share in this segment.
Old 08-17-09, 10:28 AM
Pitman
Rookie

I actually read every post of this thread, and I have to say, there are a lot of good points. I'm also surprised at the rave reviews this car is getting from CL members, figured most Lexus Fan Boys will hate this beautiful car.

As for me, my next car purchase list has gotten a little longer. I can't stop myself from over the 5.6 liter engine w/ 400+HP, that’s just amazing. I agree w/ most members that the current M is a tad bit bulbous, and Infiniti has stepped up to the plate, and cracked a Homerun.

But alas, I'm a G Fan at heart, so all this 5.6 engine talk has me wondering what Infiniti has up its sleeve for the G. If they make a V8 G, I would from sheer happiness.

@ Infiniti, we're on our way.
Old 08-17-09, 10:34 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Pitman
I actually read every post of this thread, and I have to say, there are a lot of good points. I'm also surprised at the rave reviews this car is getting from CL members, figured most Lexus Fan Boys will hate this beautiful car.

As for me, my next car purchase list has gotten a little longer. I can't stop myself from over the 5.6 liter engine w/ 400+HP, that’s just amazing. I agree w/ most members that the current M is a tad bit bulbous, and Infiniti has stepped up to the plate, and cracked a Homerun.

But alas, I'm a G Fan at heart, so all this 5.6 engine talk has me wondering what Infiniti has up its sleeve for the G. If they make a V8 G, I would from sheer happiness.

@ Infiniti, we're on our way.
I am a huge fan of the G8 myself and G-wagon. Please retract from calling people fanboys as you would not like to be called an Infiniti fanboy. Please read here.
★★★ ALL MEMBERS PLEASE READ: Establishing a sense of community in Car Chat ★★★
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-car-chat.html

Old 08-17-09, 11:04 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Pitman- C'mon Mang.The people here at CL are the most passionate,knowledgable,educated & good looking- bunch you will find on the net. Car forum sites is only as good as it's members. CL is the best car forum hands down.It also shares a wealth of info about cars, not just LEXUS. We are Lexus enthusiats, but many members have differrent cars in their driveways. We think the M looks great & has lots of power. We give props to where it's due.

Quick Reply: Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread