Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 11:04 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitman

But alas, I'm a G Fan at heart, so all this 5.6 engine talk has me wondering what Infiniti has up its sleeve for the G. If they make a V8 G, I would from sheer happiness.

@ Infiniti, we're on our way.
G50 is coming, mark my words
I really think the M56 is the new flagship of Infiniti. Highly doubt there will ever be another Q.

(hopes and prays to the CL gods that this post doesn't get deleted, like the one I posted yesterday in this thread )
Old 08-17-09, 11:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PAULGS430
Pitman- C'mon Mang.The people here at CL are the most passionate,knowledgable,educated & good looking- bunch you will find on the net. Car forum sites is only as good as it's members. CL is the best car forum hands down.It also shares a wealth of info about cars, not just LEXUS. We are Lexus enthusiats, but many members have differrent cars in their driveways. We think the M looks great & has lots of power. We give props to where it's due.
I agree more than anything with the good looking part.
Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
I really think the M56 is the new flagship of Infiniti. Highly doubt there will ever be another Q.

(hopes and prays to the CL gods that this post doesn't get deleted, like the one I posted yesterday in this thread )
Your post was deleted b/c you made a personal attack otherwise it would have stayed. Your current post was fine until you made the comment in parenthesis. Please read this.
★★★ ALL MEMBERS PLEASE READ: Establishing a sense of community in Car Chat ★★★
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-car-chat.html

Old 08-17-09, 11:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I think that the 5.0 is capable of 450-460hp, and I anxiously await to see the result of the current engine technology integrated with Toyota's valvematic, which yields on average a ~10% bump in hp/tq **AND** fuel economy.
there's also a small matter of COST.

I fear it might still be a generation away from happening, or that it might be unable to be integrated with DI, but looking at what is out there, Lexus needs to get it's head in the game. Plodding along not paying attention to the competition will not work beyond this generation.
i agree.

p.s. 380 hp + 10% (38 hp) = 418 hp
GS460 gets 342HP link so 10% would be 376.
Old 08-17-09, 12:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i agree.

Well we postulate the GS doesn't make the 380hp like the LS does b/c it has a single intake and not a dual intake system. It wouldn't fit under the hood.

Infiniti engines have always been bigger than Lexus, that is nothing new. Lexus engines have always been more fuel efficient and smaller but with the same or better performance (for a multitude of reasons, weight, tranny etc).

I don't expect to see Lexus to get in a pissing match here in regards to engine size (the germans took that crown a long time ago) though surely some would like to see that. Possibly the 5.0 in the IS-F and LS 600hL will make it into the next GS? Who knows. GS 500 sounds good to me.

To be honest I'm just waiting for a GS-F. I don't see myself buying any Lexus that is not a "h" or "F" model.

Old 08-17-09, 12:24 PM
Essence
Driver School Candidate

I would prefer a TT for the G37 instead of a V8.
Old 08-17-09, 12:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Essence
I would prefer a TT for the G37 instead of a V8.
Any word on a M37/56 coupe coming? Any internal rumors?

Old 08-17-09, 02:58 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

The vitual reveal for those who missed it live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBLEWK67OT0
Old 08-17-09, 03:35 PM
Essence
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Any word on a M37/56 coupe coming? Any internal rumors?
I don't think so. The only product I see in the near future is the Essence and its gonna be very expensive (not in M class).

Though it would be nice if they built the Coupe Concept as the production M coupe.
Old 08-17-09, 06:03 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The design is not stunning but it's pretty nice.

A 5.6L in the present climate is just nuts

Back in 2005 when I was choosing between GS and M I chose GS and don't
regret it for a second. Maybe this redesign can change all that for Infiniti
vs the 4th gen GS...
Old 08-17-09, 09:19 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marshmallo

Back in 2005 when I was choosing between GS and M I chose GS and don't
regret it for a second. Maybe this redesign can change all that for Infiniti
vs the 4th gen GS...
Agreed, the battle between the current GS and M was a well-fought one. Each vehicle had its merits, and it was a lot closer than before.

Speaking of which, BMW execs have had fun claiming that "we're not worried about Audi, only Lexus and Mercedes are competitors" etc etc., and now Infiniti has claimed it is targeting BMW. With bigger displacement engines perhaps it is targeting them even more...hopefully fuel economy will not suffer.
Old 08-17-09, 11:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I also battled to pick the best one and dont regret my choice at all. I thought the Lexus looked nicer, had a slightly higher level of fit and finish as well as the quality of the leather. I also wasnt a fan of the service I was getting at Infiniti.
Although if the choice was being made today I might have gone with the new M for its great styling, more power, and a better transmission
Old 08-17-09, 11:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I am honestly underwhelmed and almost disappointed. After all the hype, and seeing the teaser pic I expected a better design. I can't say I'm too surprised though, as Infiniti has gotten into a pattern lately of having their redesigned models look almost exactly like the previous generation models.

It looks like Infiniti tried hard at making the new M look both luxurious and sporty and they failed at both. The car just looks too busy in both exterior and interior, with too many clashing styling elements. I'm not a big fan of the current (2nd gen) M, but I actually like it more style-wise than this new M. The current M has more crisp, clean styling lines and the car looks clearly sporty. This new M to me comes off as a sporty car trying hard to look luxurious and elegant with exaggerated curves and failing at it. To be honest the car looks somewhat bland.

It may look good with these press pics that have exaggerated lighting, but in more natural lighting and in the real world, I expect the car to look even more bland.

It also does resemble the G sedan somewhat.

The interior has a nice variety of materials, but I do not like how it looks and how everything comes together. The seat design looks hideous personally. I do not like the "ATM machine" center dash design that Infiniti continues to stick with. The interior also looks way too busy, it has too many colors and curves. Many of the curves in the interior conflict with other parts. For example, the center dash is very angular and has straight edges, yet other parts of the interior feature strong curves.

I hope those interior door handles are not real aluminum, as that would be highly impractical. They would get cold in winter climates, and hot in summer climates. That shifter design and surround personally looks cheap, as if it was lifted straight off a Nissan.

Compare the shifter design to the GS:

The GS shifter looks more expensive and more integrated than on the M. Also that wood trim on the M personally looks cheap, even if it is real wood. The wood trim on the GS looks more elegant.

Then we have the gauges on the M, they look a bit goofy to me, especially compared to the GS.

The GS gauges might seem "plain" to some people, but they certainly look more elegant.

Infiniti, as usual, did not put a whole lot of attention to detail on the new M, just like it's other products. Infiniti's main strategy of enticing customers is offering lots of value for the money, "gee-whiz" styling, and performance (for the money). Luxury, high-end/innovative features, attention to detail, elegance; Infiniti has never really been known to focus on these kinds of things, and I don't expect this to change with the new M either.

As for the rear lights, I think I see where they got their inspiration from:

I hope for Infiniti's sake that customers don't make the same association to the Q as I did.

Originally Posted by dunnojack

I have to agree, the GS in this comparison shot looks better than the M.

Feature-wise, if all they are offering in terms of new stuff is a blind-spot intervention system, that is pretty weak. I hope they have more than that in terms of new features.

Now looking at specs, this does seem to be quite impressive. New transmissions, a new V8 engine, and new V6 engines.

I also question Infiniti's design to "virtually" show the new M, instead of showing an actual real prototype. I really have to wonder, why? Is Infiniti strapped for cash that they couldn't build a real model? Are they desperate for some press attention? Have they simply become lazy?

I would also like to strongly disagree with those saying that the 4GS won't be able to compete with this. In terms of elegance (possibly debatable) and attention to detail, the 3GS *already* beats this new M.

Thing is, we don't know exactly what the 4GS will bring to the table. Since the Lexus brand debuted, Toyota has usually had it's most advanced and state-of-the-art technology typically on Lexus models first.

Toyota right now has the technology to make a 350-360HP V6 with class-leading fuel economy and emissions. They also have the technology to make a 420HP+ V8 engine with class-leading fuel economy and emissions. This can be easily achieved with Dual VVT-iE and Valvematic technology that Toyota has right now. Dual VVT-iE is yet to be implemented in a production car, but several Toyota production models already feature Valvematic, and several Lexus models already have single VVT-iE. Having Dual VVT-iE would also improve engine reliability, on top of improved power and fuel economy. Some of you are questioning the cost of this. That is largely irrelevant. What do you think the cost is for Infiniti of making a new V8 engine with supposedly DI and VVEL technology? As the GS is a premium sedan for Lexus, cost is really not a big issue.

The 3RX improved upon many complaints and flaws that the 2RX had, so I expect the same thing from the 4GS improving upon the 3GS.

As of now, the 4GS is expected to have:

- a V6 model
- a V8 model
- a hybrid model
- a GS-F model (with a rumored detuned LF-A V10 engine).

The 4GS could bring even more to the table than that. Let's not forget, when Toyota announced the IS-F, it took a lot of Lexus and Toyota fans by surprise. A lot of people never expected the IS-F.

Toyota now has a strong leader helming the company (president Akio Toyoda). The 4GS will be a world model, built for a lot more markets than Infiniti currently exists in. Expectations are high worldwide for the 4GS so I expect Lexus will not disappoint.
Old 08-18-09, 07:21 AM
Pitman
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am a huge fan of the G8 myself and G-wagon. Please retract from calling people fanboys as you would not like to be called an Infiniti fanboy. Please read here.
Definitely didn't mean to offend anyone with my statement. And after the unveiling of the new M, I wouldn't mind being called an Infiniti Fan Boy j/k

Originally Posted by PAULGS430
Pitman- C'mon Mang.The people here at CL are the most passionate,knowledgable,educated & good looking- bunch you will find on the net. Car forum sites is only as good as it's members. CL is the best car forum hands down.It also shares a wealth of info about cars, not just LEXUS. We are Lexus enthusiats, but many members have differrent cars in their driveways. We think the M looks great & has lots of power. We give props to where it's due.
I literally LOL'd after reading the "& good looking" part. But no problems, I def appreciate this site, especially the car chat, I mean that’s the reason why I signed up in the first place. Good posts, with usually un-biased comments.

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
If its a V8, I'm moon walking into the dealership, and spinning on my head as I pick what color, and options I want. But for now, I'll be waiting patiently.

As far as adding another car to their line-up, it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a Q to go against the 7-Series, LS, and S. Maybe a good idea, maybe
Old 08-18-09, 07:26 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I am honestly underwhelmed and almost disappointed. After all the hype, and seeing the teaser pic I expected a better design. I can't say I'm too surprised though, as Infiniti has gotten into a pattern lately of having their redesigned models look almost exactly like the previous generation models.

It looks like Infiniti tried hard at making the new M look both luxurious and sporty and they failed at both. The car just looks too busy in both exterior and interior, with too many clashing styling elements. I'm not a big fan of the current (2nd gen) M, but I actually like it more style-wise than this new M. The current M has more crisp, clean styling lines and the car looks clearly sporty. This new M to me comes off as a sporty car trying hard to look luxurious and elegant with exaggerated curves and failing at it. To be honest the car looks somewhat bland.

It may look good with these press pics that have exaggerated lighting, but in more natural lighting and in the real world, I expect the car to look even more bland.

It also does resemble the G sedan somewhat.

The interior has a nice variety of materials, but I do not like how it looks and how everything comes together. The seat design looks hideous personally. I do not like the "ATM machine" center dash design that Infiniti continues to stick with. The interior also looks way too busy, it has too many colors and curves. Many of the curves in the interior conflict with other parts. For example, the center dash is very angular and has straight edges, yet other parts of the interior feature strong curves.

I hope those interior door handles are not real aluminum, as that would be highly impractical. They would get cold in winter climates, and hot in summer climates. That shifter design and surround personally looks cheap, as if it was lifted straight off a Nissan.

Compare the shifter design to the GS:

The GS shifter looks more expensive and more integrated than on the M. Also that wood trim on the M personally looks cheap, even if it is real wood. The wood trim on the GS looks more elegant.

Then we have the gauges on the M, they look a bit goofy to me, especially compared to the GS.

The GS gauges might seem "plain" to some people, but they certainly look more elegant.

Infiniti, as usual, did not put a whole lot of attention to detail on the new M, just like it's other products. Infiniti's main strategy of enticing customers is offering lots of value for the money, "gee-whiz" styling, and performance (for the money). Luxury, high-end/innovative features, attention to detail, elegance; Infiniti has never really been known to focus on these kinds of things, and I don't expect this to change with the new M either.

As for the rear lights, I think I see where they got their inspiration from:

I hope for Infiniti's sake that customers don't make the same association to the Q as I did.

I have to agree, the GS in this comparison shot looks better than the M.

Feature-wise, if all they are offering in terms of new stuff is a blind-spot intervention system, that is pretty weak. I hope they have more than that in terms of new features.

Now looking at specs, this does seem to be quite impressive. New transmissions, a new V8 engine, and new V6 engines.

I also question Infiniti's design to "virtually" show the new M, instead of showing an actual real prototype. I really have to wonder, why? Is Infiniti strapped for cash that they couldn't build a real model? Are they desperate for some press attention? Have they simply become lazy?

I would also like to strongly disagree with those saying that the 4GS won't be able to compete with this. In terms of elegance (possibly debatable) and attention to detail, the 3GS *already* beats this new M.

Thing is, we don't know exactly what the 4GS will bring to the table. Since the Lexus brand debuted, Toyota has usually had it's most advanced and state-of-the-art technology typically on Lexus models first.

Toyota right now has the technology to make a 350-360HP V6 with class-leading fuel economy and emissions. They also have the technology to make a 420HP+ V8 engine with class-leading fuel economy and emissions. This can be easily achieved with Dual VVT-iE and Valvematic technology that Toyota has right now. Dual VVT-iE is yet to be implemented in a production car, but several Toyota production models already feature Valvematic, and several Lexus models already have single VVT-iE. Having Dual VVT-iE would also improve engine reliability, on top of improved power and fuel economy. Some of you are questioning the cost of this. That is largely irrelevant. What do you think the cost is for Infiniti of making a new V8 engine with supposedly DI and VVEL technology? As the GS is a premium sedan for Lexus, cost is really not a big issue.

The 3RX improved upon many complaints and flaws that the 2RX had, so I expect the same thing from the 4GS improving upon the 3GS.

As of now, the 4GS is expected to have:

- a V6 model
- a V8 model
- a hybrid model
- a GS-F model (with a rumored detuned LF-A V10 engine).

The 4GS could bring even more to the table than that. Let's not forget, when Toyota announced the IS-F, it took a lot of Lexus and Toyota fans by surprise. A lot of people never expected the IS-F.

Toyota now has a strong leader helming the company (president Akio Toyoda). The 4GS will be a world model, built for a lot more markets than Infiniti currently exists in. Expectations are high worldwide for the 4GS so I expect Lexus will not disappoint.

The amount of Lexus **** here is over the top. But I respect your opinions nonetheless.
Old 08-18-09, 07:27 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i agree.

Why cost? Lest we forget Lexus is Toyota's luxury arm, and are in a better position to introduce this type of technology into the market.

Also, I know how much power the GS currently makes. It doesn't change the fact however, that it is a grossly de-tuned version of the LS engine, and nowhere near capable of what the v8 is capable of.

I've been checking back the history, and barring the jump to the 3rd gen, the power increase on the V8 model has been always 10-20%. Same goes for the V6 version, except for the jump from 1-2nd gen.

Quick Reply: Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread