Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 07:29 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, back on topic....... I think the Steering wheel design for the M "concept" is clever..nay, awesome. Reminds me of their badge.... have they done this before?
Old 08-18-09, 07:58 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The interior of this car looks very rich. I wonder if Infiniti contracted a European firm to design the interior? I know they contracted German firm Karmann to do the hard top on the G37 vert. Karmann is the best when it comes to retractable tops.
Old 08-18-09, 08:02 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
The amount of Lexus **** here is over the top. But I respect your opinions nonetheless.
You know I want to tell you that was not necessary but it reminds me of the scene in "the ballad of Ricky Bobby, Talledega Nights" where Will Ferrell is going off on the new son owner but he precedes it with "all due respect" and thinks he can say whatever he wants b/c of it. Then he quotes its out the Geneva convention.

Old 08-18-09, 08:20 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You know I want to tell you that was not necessary but it reminds me of the scene in "the ballad of Ricky Bobby, Talledega Nights" where Will Ferrell is going off on the new son owner but he precedes it with "all due respect" and thinks he can say whatever he wants b/c of it. Then he quotes its out the Geneva convention.

I felt I just HAD to say it but thanks for not giving me a speeding ticket. I'll watch it next time.
Old 08-18-09, 09:27 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I am honestly underwhelmed and almost disappointed. After all the hype, and seeing the teaser pic I expected a better design. I can't say I'm too surprised though, as Infiniti has gotten into a pattern lately of having their redesigned models look almost exactly like the previous generation models.

It looks like Infiniti tried hard at making the new M look both luxurious and sporty and they failed at both. The car just looks too busy in both exterior and interior, with too many clashing styling elements. I'm not a big fan of the current (2nd gen) M, but I actually like it more style-wise than this new M. The current M has more crisp, clean styling lines and the car looks clearly sporty. This new M to me comes off as a sporty car trying hard to look luxurious and elegant with exaggerated curves and failing at it. To be honest the car looks somewhat bland.

It may look good with these press pics that have exaggerated lighting, but in more natural lighting and in the real world, I expect the car to look even more bland.
You call the M bland but the GS isn't? There isn't a laughing emoticon in the world big enough to put here.

It also does resemble the G sedan somewhat.

The interior has a nice variety of materials, but I do not like how it looks and how everything comes together. The seat design looks hideous personally. I do not like the "ATM machine" center dash design that Infiniti continues to stick with. The interior also looks way too busy, it has too many colors and curves. Many of the curves in the interior conflict with other parts. For example, the center dash is very angular and has straight edges, yet other parts of the interior feature strong curves.
I don't think the curves in the rest of the car and the straight dash clash at all. I think it breaks up the curves pretty well and the curves actually flow nicely into the straight center console area. As for the colors, there are a number of them, but they really are just different shades of the same color. It certainly livens up the interior.

I hope those interior door handles are not real aluminum, as that would be highly impractical. They would get cold in winter climates, and hot in summer climates. That shifter design and surround personally looks cheap, as if it was lifted straight off a Nissan.
What does that matter? Your arm or hand isn't going to be resting there when you drive. You'll only touch it when you get out of the car.
Compare the shifter design to the GS:

The GS shifter looks more expensive and more integrated than on the M. Also that wood trim on the M personally looks cheap, even if it is real wood. The wood trim on the GS looks more elegant.
I agree a little about the shift gate surround, but I like Infiniti's use of brush aluminum. It isn't as flashy as the chrome on the GS, but I still like it. As far as wood trim goes, I really have to disagree. I've always felt the same way about Lexus wood trims as I have about BMW's wood trims. They look very cheap to me and often don't look real. My issues with them are usually the colors and the depth of the grain.

Then we have the gauges on the M, they look a bit goofy to me, especially compared to the GS.

The GS gauges might seem "plain" to some people, but they certainly look more elegant.
I like both gauges. The GS does looks more elegant, but the gauges on the M also look more sporting, which fits its character better.

Infiniti, as usual, did not put a whole lot of attention to detail on the new M, just like it's other products. Infiniti's main strategy of enticing customers is offering lots of value for the money, "gee-whiz" styling, and performance (for the money). Luxury, high-end/innovative features, attention to detail, elegance; Infiniti has never really been known to focus on these kinds of things, and I don't expect this to change with the new M either.

As for the rear lights, I think I see where they got their inspiration from:

I hope for Infiniti's sake that customers don't make the same association to the Q as I did.
I didn't see the Q connection in the rear tail lights until you pointed it out, and even then it seems like you're nitpicking. I don't think the average Infiniti buyer will even think of the Q when they look at the car.

I have to agree, the GS in this comparison shot looks better than the M.
I have to disagree. The GS looks so bland in comparison to the M in the side shots. The GS is a good looking car in its own right however.

Feature-wise, if all they are offering in terms of new stuff is a blind-spot intervention system, that is pretty weak. I hope they have more than that in terms of new features.

Now looking at specs, this does seem to be quite impressive. New transmissions, a new V8 engine, and new V6 engines.

I also question Infiniti's design to "virtually" show the new M, instead of showing an actual real prototype. I really have to wonder, why? Is Infiniti strapped for cash that they couldn't build a real model? Are they desperate for some press attention? Have they simply become lazy?

I would also like to strongly disagree with those saying that the 4GS won't be able to compete with this. In terms of elegance (possibly debatable) and attention to detail, the 3GS *already* beats this new M.
I can't say the 3GS beats this new M. The 3GS is starting to look dated compared to the M. The interior of the new M may have curves, but the 3GS is now so boring and bland now and I've never associated boring and bland with elegant.

I can't say I'm liking Lexus' new direction with the interiors, using less leather (on the doors) and less wood trim, save for the LS. The biggest downgrades, IMO, were from the ES330 to the ES350 and the 2nd gen RX to the 3rd. I was seriously considering a GS300/GS350 earlier this year, but nearly every one I drove had the notorious dash creak and rattle with the roads here in Michigan. I really hope Lexus takes a break from the interior downgrade and gets back to where they were with the 4GS.

Last edited by RX_330; 08-18-09 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-18-09, 10:13 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As for the rear lights, I think I see where they got their inspiration from:

You're way off, the inspiration of the rear came from this:

Old 08-18-09, 10:27 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

I see alot of XF in the back and all q45 up front

Old 08-18-09, 12:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RX_330
You call the M bland but the GS isn't? There isn't a laughing emoticon in the world big enough to put here.

I don't think the curves in the rest of the car and the straight dash clash at all. I think it breaks up the curves pretty well and the curves actually flow nicely into the straight center console area. As for the colors, there are a number of them, but they really are just different shades of the same color. It certainly livens up the interior.

What does that matter? Your arm or hand isn't going to be resting there when you drive. You'll only touch it when you get out of the car.

I agree a little about the shift gate surround, but I like Infiniti's use of brush aluminum. It isn't as flashy as the chrome on the GS, but I still like it. As far as wood trim goes, I really have to disagree. I've always felt the same way about Lexus wood trims as I have about BMW's wood trims. They look very cheap to me and often don't look real. My issues with them are usually the colors and the depth of the grain.

I like both gauges. The GS does looks more elegant, but the gauges on the M also look more sporting, which fits its character better.

I didn't see the Q connection in the rear tail lights until you pointed it out, and even then it seems like you're nitpicking. I don't think the average Infiniti buyer will even think of the Q when they look at the car.

I have to disagree. The GS looks so bland in comparison to the M in the side shots. The GS is a good looking car in its own right however.

I can't say the 3GS beats this new M. The 3GS is starting to look dated compared to the M. The interior of the new M may have curves, but the 3GS is now so boring and bland now and I've never associated boring and bland with elegant.

I can't say I'm liking Lexus' new direction with the interiors, using less leather (on the doors) and less wood trim, save for the LS. The biggest downgrades, IMO, were from the ES330 to the ES350 and the 2nd gen RX to the 3rd. I was seriously considering a GS300/GS350 earlier this year, but nearly every one I drove had the notorious dash creak and rattle with the roads here in Michigan. I really hope Lexus takes a break from the interior downgrade and gets back to where they were with the 4GS.
Call me a biased owner but I don't find the 3GS bland and if anything its aged very well. I can call it "common" as the overall shape is used by the Altimas and last Maxima (parking my GSs to my G/Fs 07 Altima makes me cringe )The Rl/GS/M all debuted basically the same time and the RL well, looks like a last gen Accord, the M IMO aged better but never was well proportioned to me and had updated Passat to it (the 19s and bodykit helps). The GS in comparison has aged much better in comparison and still looks relevant. Clearly Jaguar thinks so. Sadly the Lexus ride height enchances the bulbous part. With a simple drop with stock wheels, the GS looks like it SHOULD look.

I find this new design not perfect but its much better to the eyes to me.

As for the tailights I can honestly say it doesn't remind me of anything. and flows well with the car. I am just beyond happy they got rid of the huge circles shared with the GT-R.

I think many of us were expecting to be blown away by the styling but were not. However IMO, it is a fantastic update and THANKFULLY THANKFULLY THANKFULLY does not look ugly!

Old 08-18-09, 12:38 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Lexus makes sleek sedans, I like the fastback rooflines.
Attached Thumbnails Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread-cl-photo-rr-dscn0002.jpg  
Old 08-18-09, 01:08 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Call me a biased owner but I don't find the 3GS bland and if anything its aged very well. I can call it "common" as the overall shape is used by the Altimas and last Maxima (parking my GSs to my G/Fs 07 Altima makes me cringe )The Rl/GS/M all debuted basically the same time and the RL well, looks like a last gen Accord, the M IMO aged better but never was well proportioned to me and had updated Passat to it (the 19s and bodykit helps). The GS in comparison has aged much better in comparison and still looks relevant. Clearly Jaguar thinks so. Sadly the Lexus ride height enchances the bulbous part. With a simple drop with stock wheels, the GS looks like it SHOULD look.

I find this new design not perfect but its much better to the eyes to me.

As for the tailights I can honestly say it doesn't remind me of anything. and flows well with the car. I am just beyond happy they got rid of the huge circles shared with the GT-R.

I think many of us were expecting to be blown away by the styling but were not. However IMO, it is a fantastic update and THANKFULLY THANKFULLY THANKFULLY does not look ugly!
No no no no, don't get me wrong. Like I said, the GS is beautiful in its own right and I was even going to buy one until I realized the dash squeaks and rattles were never going to stop with the crap roads we have here.

Everything I said was in comparison to the new M. Compared to other cars the GS certainly is aging well.
Old 08-18-09, 01:18 PM
LexFather

No no no no, don't get me wrong. Like I said, the GS is beautiful in its own right and I was even going to buy one until I realized the dash squeaks and rattles were never going to stop with the crap roads we have here.

Everything I said was in comparison to the new M. Compared to other cars the GS certainly is aging well.
Gotcha...I need to drop my car, waiting on my damn coils to arrive.

Old 08-18-09, 01:19 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The 3GS styling is more focused than the M. That is my opinion, and nothing more.

I prefer sleek/fluid or sharp lines on cars. I don't like wavy curves on cars. IMO it makes a car look more downscale, especially since a lot of new Hyundai models have wavy curves.

Do you consider wavy curves to be very sporty and aggressive?

Having an angular, edgy straight center dash with the rest of the interior having wavy curves make no styling sense. There is no cohesion in the styling.

I strongly believe Infiniti used a "shotgun" approach on this interior. They threw a variety of curves, angles, and edges together along with a variety of materials into the interior thinking that makes it luxury. I agree the material quality looks improved, but the interior itself has little cohesion. Wood trim, aluminum/metal trim, and leather along with plastic all in the same interior. The only thing missing is some carbon fiber trim . There is lots of metal trim and wood trim at the same time. Just like the exterior, this gives me the impression that Infiniti *tried hard* to make this car exude luxury and sport at the same time, but they sort of failed at both.

If Infiniti is meant to be mostly sport/performance, if that is the "character" that Infiniti is going for, why is there so much wood trim in the interior? The interior should have very little wood, and mostly carbon fiber or metal trim to fit the "character" of the car.

Right now, with all that wood trim, metal trim, leather, and variety of styling elements I really can't tell exactly what the character of this car is.

Can you tell what is the interior styling theme? Is it wavy curves, or is it angular straight edges? I personally can't tell.

Do you realize how cold real aluminum gets in winter climates, or how hot real aluminum becomes in summer climates? In winter weather, real aluminum will be ice-cold to the touch. In summer conditions, a car's interior easily reaches 50-60 degrees Celsius. At that temperature, aluminum will be hot to the touch. If that doesn't matter to you when getting out of the car, I don't quite know what to say.

I wasn't specifically referring to the aluminum/chrome on the shift gate surrounds, but how they are integrated. The surround on the M sticks out and seems like it was an afterthought. The surround on the GS is integrated in a very slick way with the rest of the console.

If that's the case, then it further proves my point that Infiniti used a shotgun approach with this car. Lots of wood trim does not invoke a feeling of sportiness. If the gauges are meant to be sporting, the rest of the interior definitely does not fit the sporting look.

I didn't say the 3GS beats the new M overall. I said in terms of attention to detail, the 3GS already beats the new M. I pointed out several pictures where the GS beats the M in terms of attention to detail.

Plus, nobody has seen the new M in person yet, so we don't know how it will look in real-life photos, and if it will age well or not.

A lot of people, particularly younger people these days consider understated and elegant designs as "bland" and "boring". Young people these days are easily enamoured by "gee whiz" styling and over-the-top features and details. I'm in my 20s, and I see it with my age group all the time. Personally however, I appreciate subtlety and understated elegance a lot. I also like aggressive and radical/exotic designs, as long as they fit in context with the rest of the car and there is design cohesion.

You are in the minority then, as almost everyone thinks the 3RX interior is an improvement over the 2RX in terms of style, material quality, and fit and finish. Style is subjective, but the fit and finish and material quality improvement is definitely there.

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
You're way off, the inspiration of the rear came from this:
I was talking about just the rear lights, not the entire rear. The M's rear lights have more in common with the Q45 I posted than with the Audi you posted.
Old 08-18-09, 01:22 PM
LexFather

Ladies and Gents lets not turn this into a pissing match. We don't even have full specs of the new M nor has anyone actually seen it live yet!

Old 08-18-09, 01:54 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Ladies and Gents lets not turn this into a pissing match. We don't even have full specs of the new M nor has anyone actually seen it live yet!
This is part of my point. Apart from touched-up Infiniti press photos and a ridiculous, goofy "virtual" reveal, we have not seen the M in person, and haven't even seen real-world photos of the M yet.

It's even more ridiculous to conclude the 4GS won't be able to compete with this, since we know virtually nothing about the 4GS.
Old 08-18-09, 01:59 PM
LexFather

This is part of my point. Apart from touched-up Infiniti press photos and a ridiculous, goofy "virtual" reveal, we have not seen the M in person, and haven't even seen real-world photos of the M yet.

It's even more ridiculous to conclude the 4GS won't be able to compete with this, since we know virtually nothing about the 4GS.
And we get that lets not rehash those points over and lets appreciate what we have seen.

I mean this destroys anything Acura has debuted since the NSX maybe.

Quick Reply: Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread