Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-09, 09:02 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, it really looked good in those renderings, but it's a mediocre design at best.
Old 09-21-09, 09:46 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the more i look at it, the more awkward the 'dent' looks behind the front wheel arch and through the front door.

it certainly won't come close to selling 1/4 of what bmw and benz sell.
but it won't be an epic fail though.

now we just have to wait and see how badly lexus farks up the 4GS........ seeing what they've done with the HS and the 600h refresh.

however, if they borrow from the LF-ch, then it could be decent.
Old 09-22-09, 02:31 AM
markesc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe far out there.... cars are like haircuts... once you do something original that looks good, everyone follows along.... eventually everyone looks the same..
Old 09-22-09, 06:38 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does not look too flattering in these spy shots. I will reserve judgment until I see it in person.
Old 09-26-09, 11:17 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The more I look at it, the more of a Buick vibe I really do get from the car.

I'm also really starting to get tired of the "lets have the front fenders/shoulders 1 foot higher than the hood" styling theme.

Originally Posted by speedflex

So much for that theory.
Look closely. The cars you posted have less overall curves and waves used in the exterior, plus at the sides the cars you posted have horizontal slits or sharp character lines that break up the curves or slight waves making the cars look sportier.

The Infiniti M has no such styling cues to help minimize or break up the bulbous mess of curves and waves at the side of the car.

So much for that theory indeed .

Originally Posted by PAULGS430
The new pics bring this car back down to earth. Now it looks more like a larger G37, which is not that bad. rear 3/4 pic is still WICKED.
Interior = still beautiful
Exterior = still aggressive
Power = Off the HOOK !!!
new M37/56 =
Lexus will have to seriously step up in design,interior, & power for the 4th gen GS to keep up with this car. The M56 makes me more curious as to what Lexus will do with the new GS. It would not suprise me for Lexus to bring out another weak (conservative) version of the GS. I really hope I'm wrong!
GS400 ?? 340hp
GS460 ?? 380hp
GS F 480 ?? 450hp mininum
I don't think lexus would give these cars that much power.
Based on the real-life pics of the M, Lexus doesn't need to do that much to beat this car.

Giving the GS V8 420HP+ should be no problem. The GS V6 can easily be increased to 320-330HP. Finally, having a GS-F with 500+ HP and the screaming V10 from the LF-A, that alone would make the GS line much more desirable than the Infiniti M line.

Based on Lexus newest products I wonder what we can expect, style-wise, from the next GS. I think the current GS still looks good (it's aged much more gracefully than the M) but some of Lexus' most recent designs aren't very encouraging (RX, HS).
RX is an absolute smash hit sales-wise, so clearly buyers really like the design.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well after further review I can only speculate excitement is from the M56 engine and the fact fans are from a product starved brand. Its really okay, not this lovely artwork some are clamoring about. I honestly don't get a feeling of luxury from it, seems like a old buick, Elantra with squigly lines. Its not ugly at all but honestly I am not let down and will have to wait to see in person. On the other hand the interior while busy to me, is very nicely done and will please those that need more wood in their cars.

Not really feeling it at all in M35 trim and overally meh. Maxima for me please from an exterior standpoint. Its funny when people post pics of a M, they go straight to the old M45 with sport kit and now they ONLY POSTED pics of the black M56. Be fair, post pics of BOTH cars. Post pics of a stock M35.

Whats up with the 4 spoke steering wheel? 3 spokes please.
Some good points, I agree. It makes sense that Infiniti fans would be very vocal about this car, seeing as the brand truly is product-starved and seeing as the Essence won't come to production.

I also agree about the steering wheel; 4 spokes on a so-called "sports sedan", big dissapointment if you ask me. Even the Lexus ES and HS have 3-spoke wheels.

Originally Posted by RXSF
leg room for the rear is almost sad
If rear legroom is not that great, that gives Lexus a good opportunity with the 4GS. One of the big flaws with the 3GS is it's lack of rear legroom compared to it's competition.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i predict this car will be an epic failure. i am not impressed with the endless and mostly unnecessary curves in and out of the car.

fail.
I'm not sure about epic failure, but I do think that it might turn out to be a sales disappointment.
Old 09-27-09, 06:08 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The more I look at it, the more of a Buick vibe I really do get from the car.

I'm also really starting to get tired of the "lets have the front fenders/shoulders 1 foot higher than the hood" styling theme.

Look closely. The cars you posted have less overall curves and waves used in the exterior, plus at the sides the cars you posted have horizontal slits or sharp character lines that break up the curves or slight waves making the cars look sportier.

The Infiniti M has no such styling cues to help minimize or break up the bulbous mess of curves and waves at the side of the car.

So much for that theory indeed .
Oh please. I was responding to the posters comment that a performance oriented car shouldn't have high fenders and curves, but instead should be a wedge in shape. This was NOT a comparison to the M as to say that the M looks like these cars. Who makes some of you guys the styling police around here?
Old 09-27-09, 09:38 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Oh please. I was responding to the posters comment that a performance oriented car shouldn't have high fenders and curves, but instead should be a wedge in shape. This was NOT a comparison to the M as to say that the M looks like these cars. Who makes some of you guys the styling police around here?
This has nothing to do with "styling police" .

I was pointing out some pretty basic and objective design techniques. FYI, I have a bit of experience in design, and I have friends that know automotive design very well. Having horizontal slits or sharp horizontal character lines visually helps a lot in terms of making a curvy car look less bulky/bloated and more sporty/aggressive.
Old 09-27-09, 11:56 AM
LexFather

Well I do agree that car butts are getting high. Its not just this car. When I'm behind a 300C or Milan or hell most new vehicles, I think to myself "goodness the butt is high".

A bunch of Aresenio Hall cars. High butt

Old 09-27-09, 12:36 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

The first gen GS had a high butt and I thought the idea died back then......not.
Old 10-07-09, 11:10 AM
LexFather

Infiniti confirms production of 2012 M35 Hybrid

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/07/i...12-m35-hybrid/

Looks like Infiniti is getting more serious about taking on Lexus. Back in August we saw the M get "virtually revealed" at Pebble Beach. We've also been following the tale of the upcoming JDM-only new Nissan Fuga, a car which is virtually identical to Infiniti's M. Then of course Inside Line dropped the M-bomb when they published pics of both the M56 and M37x after their secret pre-production test drive. Meaning we know there's going to be a 400+ hp 5.6-liter V8 M56, a VQ engined M37 (with around 330 hp -- as much or more than the V8 in the outgoing M45 makes) and M37x (x = AWD). There's also a diesel M aimed at Europe. But today we learn there is another.

Specifically, there will be a M35 Hybrid. This will be the first hybrid Infiniti and it's aimed squarely at slow selling Lexus GS400h. Infiniti claims that the hybrid parts will "add to" and not "take away from" the driving experience. As such, there's a Nissan-developed single motor and a twin clutch hooked up to the same output shaft as the engine. This should result in an uninterrupted power flow to the transmission no matter which mode the hybrid system is in. There's also a "laminated" lithium-ion battery that not only stores twice as much power as nickel-metal hydride units, but cools more quickly because of the "lamination." Look for the M35 Hybrid to hit dealers around this time next year as a 2012 model, and a full reveal of the car later this month at the Tokyo Motor Show. And now, where's the new Q?

Last edited by LexFather; 10-07-09 at 11:15 AM.

Old 10-07-09, 11:13 AM
LexFather

I see a small hybrid blueish badge on the right rear..... I guess this will be more for MPG and not performance like the 450h...I think its a smart move...

Nissan/Infiniti has so far only dabbled in hybrids, choosing to buy technology from Toyota for the Nissan Altima Hybrid. The company is really attempting to leap past that technology by going straight to electric vehicles, with the Nissan Leaf. But the upcoming Mercedes-Benz S400 Hybrid must have lit a fire under someone at Infiniti, because the company just announced the Infiniti M35 Hybrid.

Infiniti M35 Hybrid

The M35 Hybrid will use a mild hybrid system.
(Credit: Infiniti

With a V-6 engine mated to what sounds like a mild hybrid system, the car will be aimed more at performance than maximum fuel economy. Infiniti describes the hybrid system, which was built in-house, as combining twin clutches and an electric motor on the propeller shaft coming out of the engine. This arrangement allows the electric motor to provide extra boost to the rear wheels and, according to Infiniti, drive the car under only electric power under certain circumstances. Honda says the same of its mild hybrid system, but we've never actually noticed pure electric drive power in any Honda hybrid. Infiniti is using the same laminated lithium ion batteries in the Infiniti Hybrid as will be used in the Nissan Leaf.

The Infiniti M35 Hybrid will come out in 2011 as a 2012 model.

Last edited by LexFather; 10-07-09 at 11:30 AM.

Old 10-07-09, 12:29 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm liking this car less and less with every new picture released. I hope it looks better in person.
Old 10-07-09, 12:58 PM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

This last pic in white looks absolutely terrible. Like a big bloated ugly reperesntation of the G.
Old 10-07-09, 01:41 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

All that HYPE and Infiniti will only have a mild hybrid? What a dissapointment .

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
I'm liking this car less and less with every new picture released. I hope it looks better in person.
Agreed 100%. The more pics I see (including the interior), the less I like it.
Old 10-07-09, 02:17 PM
LexFather

I cannot believe I seem to like the CURRENT design better and I am not much of a fan of that.

That said I really am interested in the hybrid specs. I've heard all Infiniti's will offer a hybrid by 2012. If the M35 hybrid can get 25 MPG or even 28 MPG AVERAGE that pretty cool for a big vehicle.

Quick Reply: Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread