Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09, 02:22 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a mild hybrid, I wouldn't count on it. I would be very surprised to see any big difference in terms of fuel economy OR power.

I must agree, I actually like the current dated M better than this new one.

All this talk about "how will Lexus match Infiniti with the next GS", it's way overblown .

The next-gen GS, as long as it doesn't look bulbous, fat, or bloated should be able to beat this in terms of design.
Old 10-07-09, 03:37 PM
LOL!
Lead Lap

Wow, a roided G. Disgusting. Those new pictures are not good.
Old 10-07-09, 04:17 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I the only person who really likes how this car looks?
Old 10-07-09, 04:20 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Am I the only person who really likes how this car looks?
I like the interior.

Does that count?
Old 10-07-09, 04:23 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm with you guys.

i'm starting to dislike all the dents and curves.

it seems the only suitable color is black, as it hides flaws.

now if lexus comes out with something as exciting as the FT86 for the 4GS, they win.
Old 10-07-09, 07:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i'm with you guys.

it seems the only suitable color is black, as it hides flaws.

now if lexus comes out with something as exciting as the FT86 for the 4GS, they win.
That's a bit of a stretch I would say. You can't expect such edgy design on a luxury sedan. If the 4GS is at least or more exciting than the 2IS design, and more exciting than the 3GS than Lexus wins IMO.
Old 10-07-09, 09:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i'm with you guys.
yup, back in august i found it 'too much'...

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
... i guess i just don't like tons of curves in an interior.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
... i'm not opposed to curves as such, but that new M has TONS of curves in all directions to the point that it just looks too busy.
Old 10-08-09, 12:52 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Infiniti confirms production of 2012 M35 Hybrid

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/07/i...12-m35-hybrid/

Looks like Infiniti is getting more serious about taking on Lexus. Back in August we saw the M get "virtually revealed" at Pebble Beach. We've also been following the tale of the upcoming JDM-only new Nissan Fuga, a car which is virtually identical to Infiniti's M. Then of course Inside Line dropped the M-bomb when they published pics of both the M56 and M37x after their secret pre-production test drive. Meaning we know there's going to be a 400+ hp 5.6-liter V8 M56, a VQ engined M37 (with around 330 hp -- as much or more than the V8 in the outgoing M45 makes) and M37x (x = AWD). There's also a diesel M aimed at Europe. But today we learn there is another.

Specifically, there will be a M35 Hybrid. This will be the first hybrid Infiniti and it's aimed squarely at slow selling Lexus GS400h. Infiniti claims that the hybrid parts will "add to" and not "take away from" the driving experience. As such, there's a Nissan-developed single motor and a twin clutch hooked up to the same output shaft as the engine. This should result in an uninterrupted power flow to the transmission no matter which mode the hybrid system is in. There's also a "laminated" lithium-ion battery that not only stores twice as much power as nickel-metal hydride units, but cools more quickly because of the "lamination." Look for the M35 Hybrid to hit dealers around this time next year as a 2012 model, and a full reveal of the car later this month at the Tokyo Motor Show. And now, where's the new Q?

Wow, nice stuff indeed.

I feel that I wanna get this as my graduation car

Old 10-08-09, 09:38 AM
FinalBurst
Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
That's a bit of a stretch I would say. You can't expect such edgy design on a luxury sedan. If the 4GS is at least or more exciting than the 2IS design, and more exciting than the 3GS than Lexus wins IMO.
Yes you can. The 5-series, E-Class both have had very edgy revisions. The only thing is, they keep their elegance along with it. Lexus needs to learn how to blend elegance with striking qualities. The 3GS is easily my favorite of their designs, and they've only managed to reduce how beautiful it is with each revision.

This car is perfection, especially for Infiniti. It's striking, is undeniably an Infiniti, and the interior is just fantastic. I do have to say, I'm liking Infiniti's new grille, very unique.
Old 10-08-09, 09:43 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FinalBurst
Yes you can. The 5-series, E-Class both have had very edgy revisions. The only thing is, they keep their elegance along with it. Lexus needs to learn how to blend elegance with striking qualities. The 3GS is easily my favorite of their designs, and they've only managed to reduce how beautiful it is with each revision.

This car is perfection, especially for Infiniti. It's striking, is undeniably an Infiniti, and the interior is just fantastic. I do have to say, I'm liking Infiniti's new grille, very unique.
Sorry, but if you actually think the 5 Series and E-Class designs are *AS EDGY* as Toyota's FT-86 coupe, then to have this discussion is completely moot and pointless.

Well a lot of people seem to be liking this new M less and less, but design is subjective anyways, and I know how desperate Infiniti fans are for new product. We shall see how the market responds to this new M.
Old 10-08-09, 10:33 AM
LexFather

That is very well YOUR opinion. All of it.

Old 10-08-09, 11:27 AM
FinalBurst
Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Sorry, but if you actually think the 5 Series and E-Class designs are *AS EDGY* as Toyota's FT-86 coupe, then to have this discussion is completely moot and pointless.

Well a lot of people seem to be liking this new M less and less, but design is subjective anyways, and I know how desperate Infiniti fans are for new product. We shall see how the market responds to this new M.
Main Entry: edgy
Pronunciation: \ˈe-jē\
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): edg·i·er; edg·i·est
Date: 1775
1 : having an edge : sharp
2 a : being on edge : tense, irritable b : characterized by tension <edgy negotiations>
3 : having a bold, provocative, or unconventional quality <an edgy film>

Maybe you could argue the E-Class, although, in comparison to its predecessors, I personally see it fitting the definition quite nicely. But the E60 is one of the boldest and most provocative designs in the luxury sedan market, possibly surpassed only by the last generation 7 series. The FT-86 is a great, magnificent, awesome looking coupe, especially coming from Toyota's stable, but I don't see how "edgy" it is considering it shares so many cues from the FT-HS, which debuted years ago.

Infiniti's designs have always been daring, especially in comparison to Lexus'. Lexus has always been conservative and inoffensive (although I'd have to say their latest designs are teetering on the edge of offensiveness). If the designers of the previous generation of Lexus vehicles are in charge of the 4GS, then I could see an excellent design that while not as bold as the M35, easily rivals it in elegance, luxury and beauty. But if those responsible for the RX, HS, LF-Ch, GS/ES/LS refreshes are any indication of the future of Lexus, then I'm afraid of what's going to happen to my GS.
Old 10-08-09, 11:40 AM
LexFather

Main Entry: edgy
Pronunciation: \ˈe-jē\
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): edg·i·er; edg·i·est
Date: 1775
1 : having an edge : sharp
2 a : being on edge : tense, irritable b : characterized by tension <edgy negotiations>
3 : having a bold, provocative, or unconventional quality <an edgy film>

Maybe you could argue the E-Class, although, in comparison to its predecessors, I personally see it fitting the definition quite nicely. But the E60 is one of the boldest and most provocative designs in the luxury sedan market, possibly surpassed only by the last generation 7 series. The FT-86 is a great, magnificent, awesome looking coupe, especially coming from Toyota's stable, but I don't see how "edgy" it is considering it shares so many cues from the FT-HS, which debuted years ago.

Infiniti's designs have always been daring, especially in comparison to Lexus'. Lexus has always been conservative and inoffensive (although I'd have to say their latest designs are teetering on the edge of offensiveness). If the designers of the previous generation of Lexus vehicles are in charge of the 4GS, then I could see an excellent design that while not as bold as the M35, easily rivals it in elegance, luxury and beauty. But if those responsible for the RX, HS, LF-Ch, GS/ES/LS refreshes are any indication of the future of Lexus, then I'm afraid of what's going to happen to my GS.
The E60 clearly is daring and was a controversial piece. Not sure its "rovocative" but I can see why one would say that. I am not going to comment on the FT-86 until its SOLD

Your second paragrah is way off base especially the "always" part. You clearly forgot about the M30, G20, I30/I35, QX4.

The J30 tried to look different and failed at it. The Q45 went from bold to huh, to ugly the last generation.

The G35 coupe is a very good looking car, however Lexus had one over 10 years before.
The G35 and M35/45 sedan clearly was influenced by the 2GS with their short hoods, short decks, curved roofs. The 2GS had quad lamps front and rear and was as "Daring" as any sedan ever. The 1GS was designed by an Italian firm. The IS tailights were copied by everyone. The RX was a completely new SUV style and design in 1999. They look fine but are not class leading design or "daring". The QX56 was no design leader either.

Their most original vehicle is the FX SUV and somewhat the EX SUV.

What is so "bold" about this redesign? It looks like a G/M mesh and lost the tailights that at least made it stand out from the rear.

Bottom line you cannot say Infiniti design is just that more daring that Lexus. Both have bland designs, both have pretty daring ones and both have some ugly ones to people.

Lets try to not get this BACK into a Infiniti vs Lexus pissing match.

Old 10-08-09, 11:45 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Only a few more days till the 41st Tokyo Motor Show. We'll definitely see even more pics of this one.

Boy I can't wait

Old 10-11-09, 10:46 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Well, I still like this car.

http://www.carview.co.jp/tms/2009/pr...efault.asp?p=1

Quick Reply: Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread