Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-09, 06:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Point taken!!

These days you really have to see a car in person. Pics can be manipulated too much to tell what the car really looks like.
Old 12-01-09, 07:32 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
That was a lukewarm review, at best.

With 420hp on tap I expect more than "unquestionably capable". This day in age, Camrys and Altimas are "unquestionably capable" so I will expect to be pinned to my seat for a thrill ride by a 420hp midsize sport sedan. That review didn't give me that feeling.
If you ask me it hardly qualified as a review anyway.
Old 12-01-09, 07:35 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Again, any car looks good in black, with 20" wheels diving down the pavement where the suspension is compressed so it looks dumped. I assure you people will post that picture every single time they try to pawn off how good looking it is.

How about this pic.

I'm sorry but this car initially seemed like a WOW but now it feels like a OH.

On the other hand, this photo looks fake and "effectorized". It's not a good representation of what the car will look like either. For me it always comes down to getting beyond internet pictures and seeing the cars in the real 3D world.
Old 12-01-09, 07:56 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, any car looks good in black, with 20" wheels diving down the pavement where the suspension is compressed so it looks dumped. I assure you people will post that picture every single time they try to pawn off how good looking it is.

How about this pic.

I understand.

Nevertheless, I still love this vehicle wahoot!!!

P.S.
I'm still wondering if they'll release the 5.6 V8 engine for the Japanese market. In the press release, the engine lineup is 2.5 liter and 3.7 liter engines (all are six-cylinder). Well, either way, even if 3.7 will be the highest for Japan, then I guess that's still fine as it has the same HP rating with the old 4.5 V8 (just slightly lower torque rating but it will have better FC and weight distribution).
Old 12-01-09, 08:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

i doubt it... 5.6l is crazy displacement for todays car...

do we know anything about its hybrid option?
Old 12-01-09, 08:16 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
i doubt it... 5.6l is crazy displacement for todays car...

do we know anything about its hybrid option?
Who knows really hehe? However, in the previous gen (Y50), the 4.5 liter FUGA came a year after they launched the 2.5 and 3.5 liter models.

We're not sure if they would do the same thing that they did with the previous model.........or if they would cease to release the 5.6 V8 model there in JDM land. I guess we'll have to wait-and-see.

From my opinion and perspective though: I couldn't see why they wouldn't for the following reasons:
-The 5.6 engine (VK56VD) is already more fuel-efficient and is way better engine than the outgoing 4.5er (VK45DE NEO). If the 4.5 made it to Japan, I couldn't see why the 5.6 won't do so either
-Emission ratings of 5.6 are obviously better than the 4.5. Heck, the 5.6 exceeds Heisei Year 22 emission requirements by 75% (four stars). The old 4.5 only exceeds it by 50% (three stars)
-The emission and fuel economy ratings are obviously better than the previous engine (in both 10-15 mode and JC08 mode emission and fuel test cycles)
-Torque is also higher and the new 7-speed tranny (the old model only had 5) allows for more breathing room for the engine.

With that said, I couldn't see why Nissan Japan would not release the 5.6 model..........though of course, that's just what I think though

P.S.
Not much is known about their hybrid model as of the moment (except for the fact that it's VQ37VHR + electric motor). Interesting though that it's using the 7-speed automatic which probably means that their hybrid system does not bound the gearbox as part of the setup (I think someone explained the mechanics of this a while back).
Old 12-01-09, 08:24 AM
LexFather

It just occured to me that Infiniti's car has been much better recieved in reviews and in sales than the RL yet Infiniti is the one with the new vehicle with improvements and Acura continues to try to sell a RL no one wants.

Amazing. The RL debuted 3-4 months before this car but we will see an all new model while the RL gets a beak.

WTF are they thinking?

Now Infiniti will have a hybrid before Acura? WTF?

Old 12-01-09, 08:47 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

It just occured to me that Infiniti's car has been much better recieved in reviews and in sales than the RL yet Infiniti is the one with the new vehicle with improvements and Acura continues to try to sell a RL no one wants.

Amazing. The RL debuted 3-4 months before this car but we will see an all new model while the RL gets a beak.

WTF are they thinking?

I do agree a bit.

I mean, I enjoy the offerings of all (if not most) automakers. That and I enjoy the RL........well the Honda Legend version I mean which doesn't have the beak. I also enjoy the Acura TSX (in the form of its Honda version aka JDM/Euro Accord).

I can't say the same though for their other vehicles though. I have no interest in their boring RDX, MDX and TL. Worst is the ZDX (which is a safety hazard in itself). The beak is a culprit as well (stupid Power Plenum).

The only saving grace of the beak is its usage in the Canada-only CSX (a.k.a. Civic FD in other areas) where it does the least design damage.......and even that calls for one to have very lenient standards to appreciate it.

Nevertheless, I do agree with many in their disgust for the beak. Heck, it's probably the main & primary reason why I don't want Acura to officially launch the brand in my country

lolz :P
Old 12-01-09, 09:05 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

WTF are they thinking?

Acura couldn't develop a good hybrid if they tried. Look at the Insight. It's smaler than the Civic Hybrid and Prius and it get's WORSE mileage than both. Thats a true WTF?

Btw does anyone know if the new Infiniti hybrid uses Toyota technology like the Altima hybrid, or did Nissan develop it in house?
Old 12-01-09, 10:21 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by M50x
FWIW, Car & Driver posted their "preview" of the 2011 M37/M56 as well, although these were also pre-preproduction samples . . .

Quote: "So have the A6 and 5-series been “served”? We’ll have to wait for a drive in the final product before we can say for certain whether the M is a compelling alternative. But based on what we experienced with the M37, we’d say the 535i and the A6 3.0T might want to start checking their mirrors."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...37_m56-preview

Wahoo, ALL HAIL!!! :worship:

hehe
Old 12-01-09, 10:37 AM
R1R
Driver

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Btw does anyone know if the new Infiniti hybrid uses Toyota technology like the Altima hybrid, or did Nissan develop it in house?
The new Hybrid tech is completely in-house for Nissan. There will be two different hybrid systems, one for premium RWD cars and one for FWD cars. The RWD version is about ready to go, the FWD version is still under development. IIRC, the RWD version can go on pure electric alone up to 45 MPH, so it can drive at low speeds on electric only.

Initial slow acceleration to urban speeds - Can be pure electric power.
For increased acceleration - Engine starts and assists electric motor.
When you ease up - Engine turns off, and car goes back to electric mode.
When slowing down - Regenerative braking charges lithium-ion battery.

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECH...HYBRID-SYSTEM/
Old 12-01-09, 11:09 AM
S8B
Lead Lap

How about this pic.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No point in arguing against such a subjective point of view.

And of course almost any car looks better with sport-equipped options.

Last edited by S8B; 12-01-09 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-01-09, 11:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Who knows really hehe? However, in the previous gen (Y50), the 4.5 liter FUGA came a year after they launched the 2.5 and 3.5 liter models.

We're not sure if they would do the same thing that they did with the previous model.........or if they would cease to release the 5.6 V8 model there in JDM land. I guess we'll have to wait-and-see.

From my opinion and perspective though: I couldn't see why they wouldn't for the following reasons:
-The 5.6 engine (VK56VD) is already more fuel-efficient and is way better engine than the outgoing 4.5er (VK45DE NEO). If the 4.5 made it to Japan, I couldn't see why the 5.6 won't do so either
-Emission ratings of 5.6 are obviously better than the 4.5. Heck, the 5.6 exceeds Heisei Year 22 emission requirements by 75% (four stars). The old 4.5 only exceeds it by 50% (three stars)
-The emission and fuel economy ratings are obviously better than the previous engine (in both 10-15 mode and JC08 mode emission and fuel test cycles)
-Torque is also higher and the new 7-speed tranny (the old model only had 5) allows for more breathing room for the engine.

With that said, I couldn't see why Nissan Japan would not release the 5.6 model..........though of course, that's just what I think though

P.S.
Not much is known about their hybrid model as of the moment (except for the fact that it's VQ37VHR + electric motor). Interesting though that it's using the 7-speed automatic which probably means that their hybrid system does not bound the gearbox as part of the setup (I think someone explained the mechanics of this a while back).
yeah, but 4.5l version would be even more efficient...
Old 12-01-09, 12:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by M50x
FWIW, Car & Driver posted their "preview" of the 2011 M37/M56 as well, although these were also pre-preproduction samples . . .

Quote: "So have the A6 and 5-series been “served”? We’ll have to wait for a drive in the final product before we can say for certain whether the M is a compelling alternative. But based on what we experienced with the M37, we’d say the 535i and the A6 3.0T might want to start checking their mirrors."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...37_m56-preview

The A6 is old and the 535 is old. The new 535 debuts also. I don't think anyone expects to read bad reviews on this car as it seems to extend the positive traits of the last one.

Originally Posted by spwolf
yeah, but 4.5l version would be even more efficient...
Nissan has always made bigger engines to compete with the competition. The 5.6 liter is big and when you go to HP per liter 420hp/5.6=75hp liter
Their own 5.0/400hp in the FX= 80hp a liter. They needed.6 liters for 20hp? .

Old 12-01-09, 12:37 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nissan has always made bigger engines to compete with the competition. The 5.6 liter is big and when you go to HP per liter 420hp/5.6=75hp liter
Their own 5.0/400hp in the FX= 80hp a liter. They needed.6 liters for 20hp? .
How does the tq compare between the 5.0 vs the 5.6? I think sometimes it's more reasonable to add displacement to the engine depending on how you want the engine to perform. I'm sure if they wanted to, they could have gotten 20 hp more out of the 5.0l but would they have had to sacrifice somewhere. Perhaps the motor would have become a little too rev-happy putting that power out of the usable range and have a slight drop in usable tq? I don't know enough about either the 5.0 or 5.6 but I would have to believe there was sufficient rationale to create a new engine to gain only 20 hp.

Quick Reply: Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread