Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 06:14 AM
LexFather

I can't help but notice Infiniti continuing to shoot themselves in the foot. Why wasn't this car revealed at the LA Auto show? Instead they did it in a hotel?

Is their marketing team still slow? L.A is one of the WORLDS biggest markets. The car should have been at this show, not some posh attempt at a hotel.

Sigh....

Old 12-04-09, 07:11 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I can't help but notice Infiniti continuing to shoot themselves in the foot. Why wasn't this car revealed at the LA Auto show? Instead they did it in a hotel?

Is their marketing team still slow? L.A is one of the WORLDS biggest markets. The car should have been at this show, not some posh attempt at a hotel.

Sigh....
It does beg the question.
Old 12-04-09, 07:33 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i knew i noticed some essence in the new M. the sport package wheels are just like the ones on the essence. now only if they would make an M coupe with the VK56 and looks of the essence....
Old 12-04-09, 09:13 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I thought this car was incredible when it first debuted. Its not bad looking, but I do find it dull or awkward from certain angles.

I really wasnt expecting the new 5-series to look so good, but that thing IMO is damn near perfect (as well as the XF). It craps all over this M.
Old 12-04-09, 09:34 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by M50x
You mean like the Tahara plant, which makes the LS and the GS, along with the Land Cruiser, RAV4, and the 4Runner?

Or were you refering to the Cambridge, ON, plant in Canada, which produces the Lexus RX for the North American market (not far from the Corolla and Matrix assembly lines)?
somebody touched a sore spot there huh?
Old 12-04-09, 09:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would look at the Kokura plant, a separate facility on the Kyushu factory grounds, which is used for the RX 450h and HS 250h, and is a purpose-built production site open since 2008. However, the opening of separate plants and manufacturing centers is more common to the 2000s, before it was dedicated manufacturing units/lines, such as the world's first laser-welding facility which was inaugurated in the 1980s for the LS 400. A lot of robotic automation has been put in place starting with the LS, whereas its prior rival the Q45 used more factory worker labor. But still, there is the human touch which now many manufacturers including Lexus are now getting into.
Old 12-04-09, 09:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MR_F1
somebody touched a sore spot there huh?
Judging by the name and 10 of the 13 posts are in this thread...well.....

I am well aware its Nissan plus or whatever in Japan and I am not taking any standards away from the car. A well built car is a well built car no matter the badge.

I had a thread explaining my feelings that I really respect what they are doing especially in comparison to Acura.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-infiniti.html

Nothing to get upset about, I would like to see the brand separate itself more.

Old 12-04-09, 09:58 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

If you do some research you will discover that the Lexus LS 400 was badged as Toyota Celsior for the JDM market, because JDM dealers wanted in on the sedan during its development process. It was thus sold in Japan under the Toyota badge, but developed first and intended for launch as the Lexus LS.

Ironically enough, among the reasons why Lexus was not simultaneously launched in Japan, besides cost, was that Nissan took legal action in Japan, arguing that the Lexus symbol was too close to that of the Nissan Laurel.
Old 12-04-09, 10:02 PM
LexFather

aka "Toyota Celsior"
No you are wrong again. The F1 program was to develop the LS and Lexus brand. Over 1 billion dollars was spent in the 1980s to develop the LS as a LEXUS. It debuted as a LEXUS WORLDWIDE except in Japan where no dealer network was established. Thus it was badged a Toyota Celsior. The same was done with the Infiniti Q45 which became the Nissan Cima. These were not two rebadged Toyota/Nissans.

If you are here to simply puff your chest about this car and make disparaging remarks about Lexus that are completely off-base, this is not the place for you.

Old 12-04-09, 10:16 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The F1 program was to develop the LS and Lexus brand. Over 1 billion dollars was spent in the 1980s to develop the LS as a LEXUS. It debuted as a LEXUS WORLDWIDE except in Japan where no dealer network was established. Thus it was badged a Toyota Celsior. The same was done with the Infiniti Q45 which became the Nissan Cima. These were not two rebadged Toyota/Nissans.
Regarding the first Q45, which was in many respects a fine car, I would also point out that it used the Nissan President platform, in short wheelbase form. The difference with the LS was that it used its own dedicated platform and had no antecedents; the Nissan Cima (later gen Q45 related) and Nissan President had generations before and since; in that respect they are more similar to the Lexus SC which had an earlier Soarer antecedent. However, today the Soarer is no longer, while the President and Cima continue on.

...getting back on topic, regarding the new M, I definitely have elevated expectations for it given the positive reception that was received for the prior model. So far, I think the looks are controversial, some like it, others not. I think the interior materials look nicely upgraded, but am not a fan of the excess waves. However, I am intrigued by the forest air system, and note the addition of active noise cancellation. This car will continue to be one to watch in this segment.
Old 12-04-09, 10:33 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by encore888
Regarding the first Q45, which was in many respects a fine car, I would also point out that it used the Nissan President platform, in short wheelbase form. The difference with the LS was that it used its own dedicated platform and had no antecedents; the Nissan Cima (later gen Q45 related) and Nissan President had generations before and since; in that respect they are more similar to the Lexus SC which had an earlier Soarer antecedent. However, today the Soarer is no longer, while the President and Cima continue on.

...getting back on topic, regarding the new M, I definitely have elevated expectations for it given the positive reception that was received for the prior model. So far, I think the looks are controversial, some like it, others not. I think the interior materials look nicely upgraded, but am not a fan of the excess waves. However, I am intrigued by the forest air system, and note the addition of active noise cancellation. This car will continue to be one to watch in this segment.
I forgot though what "FOREST" climate control feature does though (I also saw it in the JDM version pics). I wonder if it work synonymous with Sharp Plasmacluster air purification system though........
Old 12-04-09, 10:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by encore888

I honestly didn't know that, thanks. I remember in the Lexus story engineer said at the first auto show with the two cars they would not open the engine of the Q45. He finally convinced one of the guys to open. He said as soon as he saw the engine, he knew he won. Clearly, as the Q45 never sold well and is discontinued.

Not going to turn this into a pissing match into the two brands, its really no debate. Going to your final points, this car seems to be again, have the goods. FM based is proven, nice engines, good features and again, I am happy to see a hybrid. Styling is well, over styled but its not ugly to me.

Overall its will continue IMO, the hit the last generation was.

Old 12-04-09, 11:12 PM
LexFather

CAR seems to like the specs and kit....hates the styling..

Infiniti M (2010): more news and photos
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...es-first-pics/
By Chris Chilton

First official pictures

02 December 2009 17:40

No it’s not a bastardised four-door version of a mid-1990s Hyundai coupé, this is the Infiniti M, a rear-drive executive saloon with its sights set firmly on BMW’s new 5-series. It’s actually the third iteration of the M, but the first to come to Britain. Like other Infinitis it will be strong on value and equipment and features some novel safety systems, including a next-generation blindspot assistant and active noise cancellation.

Infiniti claims the new 2010 M's swoopy styling echoes that of the sexy Essence concept car from the 2009 Geneva show, but that’s probably being a bit generous. It’ll certainly stand out in a crowd of German rivals but only because everyone at your golf club will be wondering who is driving the Daewoo Leganza.

Infiniti M: lightweight aluminium tech

Where the two differ is in the use of aluminium for the Infiniti’s doors, bonnet and bootlid and having its engine mounted behind the front axle for improved weight distribution. Suspension is by double wishbones with four-wheel steer an option.

Inside there’s no nasty Korean velour to give you electric shocks, just standard quilted leather and the build quality is guaranteed to be superb. As is the cabin space thanks to a 2900mm wheelbase that’s longer than all of its key rivals’ apart from the new Five.

But even the new 5-series can’t match the M’s incredible list of technical highlights. First there’s a Blind Spot Intervention gizmo that actually steers the other way if you try to change lane into the path of another car and Active Noise Control that identifies undesirable sounds then plays opposite waves through the car’s speakers.

And how will the new M drive?

Dynamic Cornering Enhancement brakes individual wheels to aid turn-in, while in the Eco mode the accelerator pedal will actually push back at you to let you know you’re using too much fuel. And if that’s not weird enough, Forest Air recreates ‘the gentle breezes and subtle scents of an environment known to promote alertness and relieve stress: the forest’. Nosepegs at the ready!

European sales start in September 2010 by which time Infiniti will have – finally – readied its new V6 diesel engine, which is so crucial to success in CO2-driven European markets. We don’t yet know much about that engine or the petrol-electric hybrid coming in 2011 other than both will have a seven-speed automatic gearbox. As too will the other petrol engine, a 3.7-lite V6 already available in the G, EX and FX models that churns out 316bhp and 266lb ft of torque.

Prices won’t be finalised until summer 2010 but expect them to be competitive with BMW’s. That means starting at around £37k – bang in 530d territory – but with a list of standard kit that would send the German’s prices soaring.

Both petrol and diesel Infiniti M's will arrive in September 2010; the hybrid M comes in 2011.

Old 12-05-09, 12:14 PM
LexFather

My sentiment exactly. Nothing to get upset about.

I never intended for my remarks to come across as “spam”; I was merely pointing out the fact that Lexus's pedigree is not necessarily as pure as it is often presented. Not that there is anything wrong with the current set-up.

I simply thought that it was rather disingenuous (if not arrogant) to lecture Nissan/Infiniti on how to organize their production facilities in order to achieve a more distinct brand separation and quality à la Toyota/Lexus, when Lexus’s own flagship LS and the GS are manufactured at the same plant as the proletarian RAV4 and the 4Runner. (It was solely in response to this statement: “If they truly were interested in quality, they would build a separate plant for the brand like Lexus does.”) And judging by the number of replies that followed, that one example must have touched somebody’s sore spots indeed. Should facts be presented only selectively or one-sidedly on this forum, with the inconvenient ones swept under the rug?

I did read your thread that you mention, back in August (admired your command of facts and impartiality), and thought that my small addition here was in the same spirit of factual accuracy found in your post.
Fair enough...welcome to the site.

Old 12-05-09, 05:32 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Daewoo Leganza comment is bit harsh.

Quick Reply: Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread