Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-09, 07:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I just read about the new M today and was impressed by the safety, power, luxury, and modern features. The best of all was the new AC system that actually has adjustable humidity levels as well as temps. I am impressed so far. Also the power output is amazing with 400+ hp and 400 ft/lb of torque. I want to see Lexus beat the V8 M with the GS. That means the new GS will need at least 400+ hp as well. I also read that the GSF has been halted again by Toyota corporate
Old 12-05-09, 08:01 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I also read that the GSF has been halted again by Toyota corporate
I certainly hope it's not true ...

NOTHING short of a 500+hp GS-F will make the next generation GS a success and a standout, as well as a chance for a breakout from the GS's history of being the worse performing Lexus sedan in terms of sales & significance in the Lexus lineup ...
Old 12-05-09, 08:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I certainly hope it's not true ...

NOTHING short of a 500+hp GS-F will make the next generation GS a success and a standout, as well as a chance for a breakout from the GS's history of being the worse performing Lexus sedan in terms of sales & significance in the Lexus lineup ...
I posted in that thread, its just Motor Trend crap.....

Honestly I have no idea on the engines in the next GS.....I am 100% certain no LFA engine is going in the GS.

Old 12-05-09, 08:31 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

They can still have a different version that will produce 500+hp, if BMW and Audi can build V10's and put it in a ~$100K+ sedan (M5, S8 ...), there is NO REASON Lexus cannot if they want to ...
Old 12-05-09, 09:00 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this thing suffers from big nostril syndrome. just like the 7 series.
Old 12-05-09, 09:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
They can still have a different version that will produce 500+hp, if BMW and Audi can build V10's and put it in a ~$100K+ sedan (M5, S8 ...), there is NO REASON Lexus cannot if they want to ...
Lambo has sold over 5,000 V-10 Gallardos, not sure how many S8/S6 with it but add 2 grand more....

That is a lot more than 500 LFA's and maybe 2000 GS-Fs....

I agree with you they CAN do it if they WANTED to but I have a feeling the GS-F is coming and will have something different.

Old 12-05-09, 09:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lambo has sold over 5,000 V-10 Gallardos, not sure how many S8/S6 with it but add 2 grand more....

That is a lot more than 500 LFA's and maybe 2000 GS-Fs....

I agree with you they CAN do it if they WANTED to but I have a feeling the GS-F is coming and will have something different.
maybe a twin turbo V8. That would be a bit of competitiveness relative to the products that BMW has coming. ( well I think most companies in this class are considering or have considered turbos in the near feature)
Old 12-05-09, 09:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
maybe a twin turbo V8. That would be a bit of competitiveness relative to the products that BMW has coming. ( well I think most companies in this class are considering or have considered turbos in the near feature)
If a Lexus got turbos stock, I would not post for a month.

Old 12-05-09, 11:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

why???? If it works for BMW why wouldnt it work for Lexus???
Old 07-06-10, 08:35 AM
LexFather

hybrid news....

WSJ: Nissan's New Hybrid Likely Up To 90% More Fuel Efficient
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...06-703267.html

By Yoshio Takahashi Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

TOKYO (Dow Jones)--A Nissan Motor Co. (7201.TO) engineer said Tuesday that a gasoline-electric hybrid version of its Fuga sedan will likely be up to 90% more fuel-efficient than the gasoline-powered version.

"We expect (fuel economy) to improve by 60%-90%" over the conventional model, Koichi Hayasaki, a Nissan chief engineer, told reporters at a media briefing on the company's new power-train technology.

The remarks give the first indication of the fuel efficiency of the Fuga hybrid, which is Nissan's first gasoline-electric model sold on a full-scale basis using the company's own hybrid technology.

Nissan, Japan's second biggest car maker by volume, will roll out the Fuga hybrid this autumn in Japan and next year in the U.S. The model will be driven by a 3.5 liter V6 engine and an electric motor.

Nissan is strong in electric cars, but the company has fallen behind rivals such as Toyota Motor Corp. (7203.TO) in the hybrid car segment. It currently sells only its Altima hybrid model, which uses Toyota's hybrid technology.

Hayasaki said Nissan's own hybrid system will be about 30 kilograms lighter than Toyota's system, helping its cars to consume less gasoline. Nissan's system uses one electric motor whereas Toyota's uses two.

The engineer also said the cost of Nissan's hybrid system should be lower that those of Toyota's due to its simpler structure, though he declined to elaborate.

The hybrid Fuga could run up to 19 kilometers per liter, as the gasoline engine version goes about 10 kilometers per liter, he said.

The official fuel-efficiency of the car will be determined after testing, a Nissan spokesman said.

The new model will enhance the company's line up of green cars, as it joins the Leaf electric hatchback which will debut late this year. The Fuga is known as the Infiniti M model overseas.

Hayasaki said he wants the new Fuga to perform better than the hybrid version of Toyota's Crown luxury sedan, which can go 14 kilometers to 16 kilometers per liter, and the Lexus GS450h, which goes 14 kilometers per liter.

Old 07-07-10, 04:49 AM
St00k
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Infiniti M35 Hybrid to Almost Double Fuel Economy

Infiniti M35 Hybrid to Improve Fuel Economy by 60 to 90 Percent | AutoGuide.com News

Nissan aims to almost double the fuel economy of its new Infiniti M luxury sedan with a hybrid version due out in 2012. Engineers at the Japanese automaker have been working hard on a new type of hybrid system for half a decade, preparing it for use in the upcoming M35 Hybrid.

The new setup uses one electric motor and two clutches, making it far less complex than Toyota’s current setup and also much cheaper. According to Nissan’s top rear-wheel drive hybrid engineer Koichi Hayasaki, the company’s new hybrid system does away with the need for a torque converter by using a lithium ion battery and the two-clutch setup – something he says other automakers believed was a hurdle that couldn’t be cleared.

As a result, “We’re aiming for an improvement of 60 to 90 percent,” he said, a significant improvement over the 30 percent improvement produced by full hybrid systems like Toyota’s or the 15 percent improvement by mild hybrid systems like Honda’s.

Another benefit of Nissan’s simpler hybrid system is its weight. The less complex system is not only cheaper but should come in at roughly 66 lbs less than a comparable Toyota setup.

Currently the new Infiniti M37 is rated at 18/26-mpg (city/highway).
Old 07-07-10, 05:46 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems too good to be true.
Old 07-07-10, 05:55 AM
IS300eR
Lexus Test Driver

18/26 => 36/42?

this ain't no Nissan Leaf. lawl.
Old 07-07-10, 06:10 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I'm wondering if the M will offer a diesel in the future given the alliance with Daimler.
Old 07-07-10, 06:28 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds great...I am eager to see the final results!

Quick Reply: Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread