Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 06:58 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL, it will improve fuel economy by 15-20% at best. Don't be fooled by silly claims.
Old 07-07-10, 07:05 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, it will improve fuel economy by 15-20% at best. Don't be fooled by silly claims.
Careful now. I hear crow is not the tastiest of birds.
Old 07-07-10, 07:16 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DustinV
I'm wondering if the M will offer a diesel in the future given the alliance with Daimler.
From what I know, in Europe, the M56 will not be sold over there. What takes its place though will be an M30d. (3.0 liter V6 common rail turbo diesel engine).

It is known as the V9X diesel engine

This one comes from the Nissan-Renault Alliance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V9X

Copy-paste from wiki

Nissan-Renault V9X engine
V9X Engine
Manufacturer Nissan-Renault
Production 2009-Present
Assembly Cleon, France
Class Turbo diesel V6

The V9X is a common rail V6 turbodiesel developed by the Nissan-Renault alliance, and first installed in the Renault Laguna in 2009. It was subsequently made available for all longitudinal engined including Infiniti, along with Nissan Pathfinder, Nissan Navara, Infiniti FX, Infiniti EX, Infiniti M an Renault Laguna.
[edit]Engine Power and Combustion

The V9X V6 diesel engine develops 175 kW (238 hp) and 550 N·m (406 lb-ft) of torque.
The combustion chamber design was optimized to improve the balance between emission levels and fuel efficiency; the compression ratio was lowered to 16:1 to benefit not just economy and emissions but also noise, vibration and harshness (NVH).
Class-leading levels of torque and highly competitive specific power outputs are delivered thanks to the adoption of a comparatively large single turbocharger, which is mounted within the vee of the engine, an intercooler and the use of the latest generation of Bosch Common rail fuel injection. This system incorporates piezo injectors and operates at 1,800 bar.
Power output is on target at 175 kW while the class-leading torque output of 550 Nm (for rear and four-wheel drive applications) is better than the target. Peak torque is achieved from as low as 1,750 rpm and is available all the way to 2,500 rpm, while as much as 500 N·m is available from 1,500 rpm. Idle speed is an exceptionally low 650 rpm with none of the NVH usually associated with a diesel.The result is strong low-end performance with comfortably refined delivery. Special tuning of the exhaust note provides a pleasantly sporting note at about 2,500 rpm under hard acceleration.
[edit]Emissions

In addition to the advances made by the changes to the combustion chamber, the V9X engine also incorporates a number of innovative features designed both to enhance emissions performance and improve reliability.The V9X engine cuts CO2 emissions in the EX to 224 g/km and helps the model return a combined fuel figure of 8.4 L/100 km (28 mpg US). The equivalent figures for all models are 240 g/km and 9.0 L/100 km (26 mpg US).
It is fitted to the following vehicles:
2010–present Infiniti FX30
2010–present Infiniti EX30
2010–present Nissan Pathfinder
2010–present Nissan Navara
2010–present Infiniti M30
2010–present Renault Laguna III

Old 07-07-10, 07:24 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 07-07-10, 08:00 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

Have they mentioned what the size of the engine is going to be? M35 = 2.5L I4 or V6 ? The M as is currently is, is pretty heavy so getting 60-90% gain, with lighter batteries and without making it ridiculously slow is pretty ambitious.
Old 07-07-10, 08:05 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Allen K
Have they mentioned what the size of the engine is going to be? M35 = 2.5L I4 or V6 ? The M as is currently is, is pretty heavy so getting 60-90% gain, with lighter batteries and without making it ridiculously slow is pretty ambitious.
M37 is around 4000 lbs. Considering the petrol only M37/56 are named such and this is a M35, you make a good point that this maybe a small I-4/V-6 with hybrid power, thus the MPG gains claimed and not a direct competitor to the 450h which is a performance hybrid. I think people would prefer this method of a luxury hybrid though. I just think there are more potential buyers for a luxury hybrid that gets a substantial increase in MPG than one that gets a substantial increase in power.

I wonder will Benz/Renault also get this engine?

They did debut a Renault diesel which is a good move but it doesn't lead the class in anything, which is a puzzling move.

Old 09-20-10, 05:22 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post MotorTrend

The 2011 Infiniti M is an ambitious car. Not only must it compete in the ultra-competitive midsize luxury sedan segment against the likes of the BMW 5 Series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class, but the M also carries the load as Infiniti's flagship.

The strategy begins with a strong base engine. The venerable Nissan 3.7-liter V-6 underhood in the 2011 Infiniti M37 we recently test drove is satisfyingly powerful. Its 330 horses (5 more than the outgoing V-8 powered 2010 M45) awaken with a muted roar when you nail the gas pedal, and you'll have no trouble getting up to freeway speeds in a hurry from the on-ramp.

During our recent test, we clocked the M37 at an impressive 5.3 seconds to 60 mph. The quarter-mile took 13.8 seconds at 102.0 mph and the car pulled 0.87 g on the skidpad -- that's actually slightly better than the M56 S we've tested.

The Mercedes-Benz E350 doesn't compare by the numbers to the M37 but the BMW 535i is a closer match. The M37 stopped from 60-0 mph in an impressive 111 feet, just two feet longer than the BMW. The M37's Figure Eight time was 26.7 seconds at 0.67 g, almost the same as the outgoing BMW 535i's 26.5 seconds at 0.67 g. Even the weight of those two cars was nearly the same: 3844 pounds for the Infiniti M37 and 3842 for the 2010 535i. BMW says the 2011 535i with the 8-speed automatic transmission has a curb weight of 4090 pounds.

The M37's V-6 is mated to a 7-speed automatic transmission in both rear- and all-wheel-drive models. Fuel economy for the rear-drive model we piloted is 18/26 mpg city/highway, on par with most competitive models, although BMW manages to wring 19/28 mpg out of its new 2011 535i. For those who are more frugal, the M35 hybrid is on the way for the 2012 model year.

Overall handling is more acceptable for a vehicle of this size, and the steering feel is communicative enough for a luxury car, if a bit light. If you are looking for a true canyon-carver from Infiniti, the smaller G sedan is probably the better fit, but the M can more than hold its own. The car we had was fitted with 18-inch alloys that didn't fill up the wheel wells, but what they lacked in size was offset by a slightly tighter turning radius and smoother ride. Road noise on rough freeways was blocked out, but we wouldn't exactly call it Lexus quiet.

While the new M37's overall shape in some ways resembles a swollen G37, there are several details unique to the car. The upright double-arch grille features chrome strakes that jut out just beyond the edges, a look that's continued with the chrome bars framing the license plate. Another highlight is what Infiniti calls the "wave-like" sheetmetal forming the lip of the trunk lid. It's a neat detail that the automaker also says helps increase downforce.

While the M's exterior design is hit-and-miss, the new interior is a knockout. That's especially true with the Deluxe Touring Package featured on our tester, which adds a Bose sound system with small speakers on the top of the front seats; semi-aniline leather; special soft-touch material for other trim pieces; and White Ash wood trim sprinkled with a silver powder that's unlike anything we've seen in this class. 1 driver found the trim strange, while another thought it was impressive.

Look closely at the gauges and you'll notice a neat new Infiniti design trait -- gear-like rings that advance the interior design without being ostentatious -- although we're not sure why the speedometer goes to 180 mph.

Refreshingly, Infiniti eschewed a coupe-like roofline for the M, styling that's popular right now but impedes rear-seat room. This M has no trouble carrying four adults in comfort; five if needed. It'll also get them there safely, as the M line has earned at Top Safety Pick award for 2010 from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Plenty of advanced driver safety aids are also available as part of the $3000 technology package. An intelligent cruise control and lane departure warning and prevention systems are part of the package, as are HID headlights and Infiniti's Distance Control Assist, which provides feedback through the accelerator pedal when the car senses you're in danger of starting a rear-end collision. The system can also apply the brakes automatically.

Infiniti's Eco Pedal is yet another part of the technology package. Four driving modes -- Eco, Snow, Standard, and Sport -- adjust throttle sensitivity and the transmission to provide a different driving experience. We never warmed to the Eco mode, which increases resistance in the gas pedal, almost as though you forgot to release the parking brake. Sport mode holds gears longer before downshifting, but Standard mode is responsive enough for 95% of typical daily driving.

Particularly with a loaded non-sport model like our M37 tester, the Infiniti has plenty to offer. And with an as-tested price of almost $60,000, it had better. We'll need to compare the M37 against its closest rivals to determine if it's a class-leading car but, until then, what's clear is that the 2011 M37 is much improved over the model it replaces.
Old 09-20-10, 05:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Holy crap, 60k for a V6 version? What the hell are they smoking?
Old 09-20-10, 05:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Holy crap, 60k for a V6 version? What the hell are they smoking?
i don't know, fully loaded gs350 now is around 54k? i can only think about the next one
Old 09-20-10, 07:11 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

If the V6 can do 0 to 60 in 5.3 seconds, why even have a V8?
Old 09-20-10, 10:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
If the V6 can do 0 to 60 in 5.3 seconds, why even have a V8?
because the v8 can go even faster? your question is like asking why having cars like m3 and isf

and 0-60 is only such a small part of the comparison. high speed pickup, i will pick v8 over v6 any day
Old 09-21-10, 04:57 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
because the v8 can go even faster? your question is like asking why having cars like m3 and isf

and 0-60 is only such a small part of the comparison. high speed pickup, i will pick v8 over v6 any day
Now logically, it will go faster. But I ask two questions. One, do you really need to go faster in a car this size? 2. What kind of weight does the V8 add?

Thus, the S4 now has a V6 instead of a V8.
Old 09-21-10, 08:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Now logically, it will go faster. But I ask two questions. One, do you really need to go faster in a car this size? 2. What kind of weight does the V8 add?

Thus, the S4 now has a V6 instead of a V8.
1) very much yes. there are a lot of times where i feel my gs350 is not fast enough. a m5 will help
2) v8 will add weight. gs460 vs gs350, 130lb. maybe around 200lb overall within industry? on a 4000lb car? that's 5%. if you have to worry about that, worry about the passengers you carry.

s4 goes with v6 mostly coz' of emission regulations. same thing with other manufacturers going for FI setup vs NA.

bottom line, to some they can always use more power and in certain occasion, more power is always more helpful. the whole thing about "need" or "not need" is very pointless. if we really talk about "need", then put everything back to 200hp v4 or v6 and we should all be happy
Old 09-21-10, 09:36 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
1) very much yes. there are a lot of times where i feel my gs350 is not fast enough. a m5 will help
2) v8 will add weight. gs460 vs gs350, 130lb. maybe around 200lb overall within industry? on a 4000lb car? that's 5%. if you have to worry about that, worry about the passengers you carry.

s4 goes with v6 mostly coz' of emission regulations. same thing with other manufacturers going for FI setup vs NA.

bottom line, to some they can always use more power and in certain occasion, more power is always more helpful. the whole thing about "need" or "not need" is very pointless. if we really talk about "need", then put everything back to 200hp v4 or v6 and we should all be happy
Yeah if I was a Nissan guy and wanted this car I'd go straight for the V-8 M56 and skip the V-6 though for most people the M37 is more than enough car.

Old 09-21-10, 11:10 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with 1SICK in that if I were a Nissan/Infiniti addict, I would go top-of-the-line and get the V8 (with AWD if available) and all the bells and whistles...

Full option bleeding edge

Anyways:
Some pictures to add

Last edited by Blackraven; 09-21-10 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread