Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 08:15 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There's only so much improvement that you can squeeze out of a hybrid tech. The type of batteries doesn't have much to do with it at all - its how much lost energy you can capture and turn into electricity to charge these batteries. Its rare for any hybrid battery to not be able to hold all the charge being fed to it - usually its quite the opposite, not enough energy being regenerated to keep batteries fully charged.

I appreciate the hybrid tech, but its not a miracle, and I don't expect much more from it than whats already been accomplished.
Old 02-08-11, 10:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
I have no doubts that the next generation Lexus hybrids will trounce the likes of Infiniti's & Lincoln's #. There is no way that Toyota, the top selling luxury & hybrid brand, is going to let others beat them.
there's no guarantees. the only decent hybrids to date IMO are the prius for efficiency and the rx for unobtrusive packaging. the rest are failures economically, space-wise, or both.

as far as there being 'no way' toyota is going to let others beat them, the market is now a lot more complicated with plug-ins, the volt, all electrics, and very efficient regular gas cars too like maybe the elantra and cruze.

it reminds me a bit of the explorer once dominating the suv segment, whereas now the market is a lot more complicated with cuv, suv, sav, luv sub-segments...

i certainly hope toyota continues to push far ahead and lead... it's great for everyone.
Old 02-08-11, 07:27 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Nice for everybody to hate on the GS450h, which is several years old and pioneered the segment.
You said it yourself, it's several years old. In that time the RX, Highlander, and Prius have evolved. There isn't too much reason to buy a 450h as its only a few ticks faster than the 460 and with a few more MPGs for more $$$$. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a GSh kick some Infiniti, MB, BMW butt as would probably most of us here.
Old 02-14-11, 12:43 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack

but still looks like a cockroach
The main problem still remains.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Wow, suck it GS450...and Camry Hybrid....and it has three times the power of the CR-Z and only a few MPGs fewer.
Lol what? The Camry hybrid gets 31/35 mpg, which easily beats this. Also the Camry hybrid is a dated model along with the GS hybrid.

The Lexus RX hybrid gets better city mpg than this M hybrid, and the RX hybrid weighs much more not to mention is a bigger vehicle. The RX hybrid gets slightly worse fuel economy though. Combined city/mpg EPA rating for the RX hybrid is identical to this Infiniti hybrid, although the RX hybrid has less power.

I expect the next-gen GS hybrid to easily beat this in fuel economy, and likely power. I also expect the next-gen Camry hybrid will smoke this in fuel economy.
Old 02-22-11, 12:57 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html

Good review from MT.

A hybrid that drives nothing like one. 29 combined MPG isn't bad either, especially if you consider the performance it offers.
Old 02-23-11, 06:13 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I expect the next-gen GS hybrid to easily beat this in fuel economy, and likely power. I also expect the next-gen Camry hybrid will smoke this in fuel economy.
Toyota is really going to have to work hard beef the Camry Hybrid up to its competitors. I have faith that they have something up their sleeve, if not just the 2.5L I4.

But I don't expect that GS to match the M hybrid. Even if it gained 4 MPG as the RX400h to 450h did it still wouldn't match the M. I hope that they prove me wrong. However, GSh sales have been poor and I never see them on the road. Perhaps with higher gas prices expensive hybrids like this will catch on, but Lexus and Infiniti may both be missing a hybrid market that Lincoln and Buick are entering. Affordable luxury hybrid.
Old 02-23-11, 06:24 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome review from MT

Infiniti has a winner here. I'd hit one black on black with the sport rims
Old 02-23-11, 10:37 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good stuff. I am glad they opted for Lithium batteries. I would not be surprised if new GS would still pack old NiMH btw.
Old 02-23-11, 10:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Good stuff. I am glad they opted for Lithium batteries. I would not be surprised if new GS would still pack old NiMH btw.
why, you believe Infiniti invented lithium batteries? :-)
Old 02-23-11, 10:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
You said it yourself, it's several years old. In that time the RX, Highlander, and Prius have evolved. There isn't too much reason to buy a 450h as its only a few ticks faster than the 460 and with a few more MPGs for more $$$$. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a GSh kick some Infiniti, MB, BMW butt as would probably most of us here.
GSh main problem is that it is GS - car that is not that popular anymore. Combine that with small trunk and there you have it.

Unfortunately, this Infinity is still expensive, and has 11.3 cuft trunk.

Not to mention inferior hybrid system with automatic transmission, small electric engine and two clutches. This is infinitely more complicated system compared to Toyota's, expect it to be considerably less reliable and smooth overall.

Competition is good!
Old 02-23-11, 11:33 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
why, you believe Infiniti invented lithium batteries? :-)
Nope I just think Toyota is banking right now and that's the reason why new Prius didn't get it either. Stagnancy favors profits of big business and industries.
Old 02-23-11, 12:48 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vladi
Nope I just think Toyota is banking right now and that's the reason why new Prius didn't get it either. Stagnancy favors profits of big business and industries.
Actually most people here missed the BIG news that the upcoming Prius+, basically an identical car to the Prius v, will seat 7 precisely because it'll be housing Li-ion batteries inside the engine bay, freeing up the necessary space for 3rd-row seats. This is significant because it's going to be the first non-plug-in hybrid from Toyota to use Li-ion batteries. Because of this I now fully expect the next-gen Lexus hybrids to make the switch too.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/255445/
Old 02-23-11, 03:42 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Pricing

Infiniti has officially announced the pricing on the 2012 Infiniti M 35h Hybrid, which will go on sale at Infiniti dealers nationwide on March 16. Prices for the 2012 Infiniti M 35h Hybrid will start at $53,700 and when compared to its closest rival in our eyes, the $58,050 2011 Lexus GS Hybrid, that’s not a bad deal at all.

“We’re excited to be able to bring in the new Infiniti M Hybrid – with its exceptional blend of power, efficiency, style, luxury and technology – at an M.S.R.P. of under $54,000,” said Infiniti Vice President Ben Poore. “Competitively priced, though with little real direct competition, we expect the M Hybrid to continue the strong sales momentum the new Infiniti M Sedan has been experiencing since its launch in the 2011 model year.”

Refresher: The Infiniti M35 Hybrid will be powered by a single electric-motor/twin-clutch arrangement, mated to a naturally aspirated 3.5L V6. The 1st-clutch is installed between the V6 engine and the electric motor, which Infiniti says allows for a more responsive drive. Infiniti said that the M35 Hybrid, which will carry a lithium-ion battery pack, has the ability to run solely on electric-power under certain driving conditions. Official fuel-economy rating comes in at 27/32 mpg (city/highway).
Old 02-23-11, 05:24 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
Unfortunately, this Infinity is still expensive, and has 11.3 cuft trunk.

Not to mention inferior hybrid system with automatic transmission, small electric engine and two clutches. This is infinitely more complicated system compared to Toyota's, expect it to be considerably less reliable and smooth overall.

Competition is good!
How can you say that Infiniti's hybrid system is inferior? Honestly. It's brand new, there is no data on this yet. It could be 3X as efficient and last 3X as long as any Toyota, Honda, GM, etc.

I don't so much blame crappy GSh sales on an aging design, so much as that people don't want that power....or at least not in the GS. I don't think I've ever seen a GS 460. I do see AWD GS 350s all of the time and perhaps that is the reason. And Infiniti could be in for the same dissapointment. ...this actually does make some sense now that I think of it because I do see LS600hLs relitively frequently.
Old 02-23-11, 06:18 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if anything, the pricing will kill its sales.

Quick Reply: Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread