Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-14, 01:06 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With all the tech and steer by wire problems the Q has been experiencing, I, personally, wouldn't touch Infiniti for the next 3 years. Reviews haven't been great either. It's a shame cuz I loved the G.

Last edited by obturator; 04-18-14 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-18-14, 01:23 PM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
Welcome to 2010. And hey, at least they still offer a V8 in their midsize sedan. Something Lexus no longer does.
In due time Lexus will bring in the GS F...which a welcome addition to the IS F and RC F...

Last edited by Trexus; 04-18-14 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-18-14, 02:05 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 816 Likes on 570 Posts

The QX80 is more expensive than a 3 series and is more expensive than an RX (like substantially more expensive). Infiniti sells more $80k units of a specific model than Lexus & BMW. That is a fact.

Lexus bread & butter: RX & ES ($40-$50k)
BMW bread & butter: 3 Series ($40-$50k)
Infiniti bread & butter: Q50, QX60, & QX80 ($40-$80k)

I'm not trying to say Infiniti is better than Lexus or BMW, just making a point that Infiniti sells a more expensive model on a regular basis than either Lexus or BMW. That speaks pretty loudly. Infiniti just needs more product to fill in the gaps (a proper flagship, Q60 redesign, QX50 redesign, etc). The desire to spend massive amounts of money on an Infiniti product is already there.
QX80 is not a bread and butter vehicle. If you look at 2014 YTD sales, it only accounts for ~10% of Infiniti's total sales. The Q50/QX60 sell in much higher numbers with the Q50 coming in at 30% of sales and the QX60 coming in ~27%
Old 04-18-14, 02:07 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
pretty silly of them to put the truck engine in the M. Imagine if they put the 570 engine in a GS to make a GS570. I wouldnt want a truck engine in a sedan
Wow. Just wow.

Are you going to complain next that S-class, E-class, GL, ML, and G-wagen all share the same V8?
Old 04-18-14, 02:13 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
In due time Lexus will bring in the GS F...which a welcome addition to the IS F and RC F...
If and when the GS-F comes, it will be much more expensive and not really in the same class as the Q70 or other GS models. With Infiniti coming out with a high performance Q50 soon, I'm sure a high performance Q70 isn't too far off into the future as well. But outside an F model or IPL model (or whatever Infiniti will call those models), Infiniti still offers 3 different powertrains for the Q70 and Lexus currently only offers 2 for the GS. You can buy a Q70 with a V8 today, but you can't do that with a GS. With this LWB version coming, it offers even more options in this class (of course part of that might be due to the fact that they don't yet have a proper flagship and are trying to offer as many options as possible for those looking for more space & power).
Old 04-18-14, 02:21 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Allen K
QX80 is not a bread and butter vehicle. If you look at 2014 YTD sales, it only accounts for ~10% of Infiniti's total sales. The Q50/QX60 sell in much higher numbers with the Q50 coming in at 30% of sales and the QX60 coming in ~27%
Ok, but how much more money is each QX80 bringing in vs. a Q50? It literally costs almost twice as much money. So selling 1000 units of the QX80 would essentially be equivalent to selling 2000 units of the Q50. Just because the QX80 only accounts for 10% of total units sold, doesn't mean that they're not the most profitable vehicle Infiniti sells (they are). So I think even though they sell more Q50s or QX60s, the QX80 is still very much a bread & butter product for them. Again, no one other than Cadillac really is selling 1000+ units/month of a full size 75k-80k Luxury SUV.

Last edited by Lex2InfiN; 04-18-14 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-18-14, 03:39 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Q

If and when the GS-F comes, it will be much more expensive and not really in the same class as the Q70 or other GS models. With Infiniti coming out with a high performance Q50 soon, I'm sure a high performance Q70 isn't too far off into the future as well. But outside an F model or IPL model (or whatever Infiniti will call those models), Infiniti still offers 3 different powertrains for the Q70 and Lexus currently only offers 2 for the GS. You can buy a Q70 with a V8 today, but you can't do that with a GS. With this LWB version coming, it offers even more options in this class (of course part of that might be due to the fact that they don't yet have a proper flagship and are trying to offer as many options as possible for those looking for more space & power).
It's not the quantity, its the quality. Lexus GS with only 2 engine choices outsells the Q70. Even if we exclude the GS450 sales, the V6 GS with a 7 year old engine still outsells the entire Q70 line.

V8's are not the biggest sellers, that's why Lexus dropped the engine. Plus, the GS-F is coming soon, so it will rightfully take the GS460's spot.
Old 04-18-14, 04:36 PM
LexFather

The QX80 is a rebadged Nissan Petrol. It does not cost "twice as much" to bring it.

Nissan said this year Infiniti brings ZERO to their bottom line. They are lucky to break even.

Maybe research the brand you are supporting.

Contrarily small Lexus brings in over 50% of the profits for Toyota which sits on 35 billion cash.

Let's get back to taking about the M37 /Q70 etc . Comparing it with Lexus is pretty ridiculous at this point.

Old 04-18-14, 05:52 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
It's not the quantity, its the quality. Lexus GS with only 2 engine choices outsells the Q70. Even if we exclude the GS450 sales, the V6 GS with a 7 year old engine still outsells the entire Q70 line.
Soooo then it is the quantity?
No one is saying that the GS isn't currently outselling the Q70/M, but the Q70/M still offers more options. The previous generation M sold about the same and sometimes more than the GS. Infiniti dropped the ball in the exterior styling dept with the current generation, but the refresh seems to have fixed these issues.

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
V8's are not the biggest sellers, that's why Lexus dropped the engine. Plus, the GS-F is coming soon, so it will rightfully take the GS460's spot.
No it won't. The GS-F is not a replacement for the GS400, GS430, & GS460. It's a potential high performance model that Lexus has no history in. If and when it comes, it will be new territory for Lexus. It is not however a replacement for the 2nd & 3rd gen V8 GS. That model is dead.

Originally Posted by LexFather
The QX80 is a rebadged Nissan Petrol. It does not cost "twice as much" to bring it.
It's about twice as expensive to purchase than the Q50, give or take. And if the QX80 is a rebadged Nissan Patrol, then the LX570 is a rebadged Land Cruiser (but we probably shouldn't go down this road). Regardless if it is a rebadge or not, it still costs $75k-$80k depending on options and Infiniti sells more of these than Lexus sells LSs or LXs.

Nissan said this year Infiniti brings ZERO to their bottom line. They are lucky to break even.

Maybe research the brand you are supporting.
I know all about Infiniti and their past financial struggles, so I don't have to research anything. But that's old regurgitated news and frankly is not really relevant to this conversation. Infiniti is in a gray area right now as they are under new management which finally seems to be giving the brand a clear and concise direction.

Last edited by Lex2InfiN; 04-18-14 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-18-14, 06:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

i would enjoy discussing Infiniti vs Lexus, but for the life of me their car naming change confuses be greatly - and I am big car buff too... Q50, Q60, Q70, QX60, QX70, QX80, Q this and Q that, I would have to spend half of my time on Google while talking about them.
Old 04-18-14, 06:23 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

No one is saying that the GS isn't currently outselling the Q70/M, but the Q70/M still offers more options. The previous generation M sold about the same and sometimes more than the GS. Infiniti dropped the ball in the exterior styling dept with the current generation, but the refresh seems to have fixed these issues.
I'm not arguing with the fact that Infiniti has more engine choices in US. Infiniti is offering everything they have, but that is not helping the brand with sales. Lexus is obviously happy with how the GS is doing. Otherwise, they'd bring the GS250 and GS300h to states long ago.

No it won't. The GS-F is not a replacement for the GS400, GS430, & GS460. It's a potential high performance model that Lexus has no history in. If and when it comes, it will be new territory for Lexus. It is not however a replacement for the 2nd & 3rd gen V8 GS. That model is dead.
I would not call it a new territory for Lexus. Don't forget the IS-F which was on par with M3. GS-F will most likely have an updated engine from the IS-F.
Old 04-18-14, 06:35 PM
LexFather

It's about twice as expensive to purchase than the Q50, give or take. And if the QX80 is a rebadged Nissan Patrol, then the LX570 is a rebadged Land Cruiser (but we probably shouldn't go down this road). Regardless if it is a rebadge or not, it still costs $75k-$80k depending on options and Infiniti sells more of these than Lexus sells LSs or LXs.

I know all about Infiniti and their past financial struggles, so I don't have to research anything. But that's old regurgitated news and frankly is not really relevant to this conversation. Infiniti is in a gray area right now as they are under new management which finally seems to be giving the brand a clear and concise direction.
For the record the QX outsells the LX here in the USA where it's never been a big seller. Worldwide LX sales dwarf the QX.

You need to Check some facts. The LX is completely different inside and out than the LanD Cruiser sharing minimal. Contrarily the QX is a Petrol rebadge, hardly anything changes inside and out.

What concise direction? Sales were down in 2013. They sell 4 SUVs and 2 car lines. In Japan they will be sold as infiniti skylines. In Europe they use Renault engines. The headquarters was moved from Japan to Hong Kong. The Q50 reviews were okay at best and the software still stinks.

Then they confuse everyone with the name change.

They need to get it together very very quickly.

Old 04-18-14, 07:53 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

For the record the QX outsells the LX here in the USA where it's never been a big seller. Worldwide LX sales dwarf the QX.
Well, and worldwide sales of MB, BMW, & Audi also dwarf Lexus, but in the US Lexus is one of the major players. I was only talking about US sales and assumed you were as well.

You need to Check some facts. The LX is completely different inside and out than the LanD Cruiser sharing minimal. Contrarily the QX is a Petrol rebadge, hardly anything changes inside and out.
All of that doesn't really matter as it is common knowledge that the Land Cruiser & LX have the same bones, as does the Patrol & the QX80.

What concise direction?
New flagship sedan in the works
New flagship coupe in the works
New high performance Q50 in the works
New compact sedan in the works
New compact crossover in the works
New LWB Q70 coming soon
New Q60 coupe coming soon
New all electric vehicle coming soon
New powertrains coming soon
New nomenclature
New leadership

They sell 4 SUVs and 2 car lines.
They currently sell:

4 SUVs
3 sedans (the G37 is staying and morphing into the Q40)
1 coupe/convertible

And as I mentioned, those other models are coming soon, starting with the new compact Q30 (as I'm sure you've heard).

In Japan they will be sold as infiniti skylines. In Europe they use Renault engines. The headquarters was moved from Japan to Hong Kong.
So what does that matter? Nissan also moved headquarters from CA to Tennessee several years ago. It's called business. Sharing engines is also sometimes part of the business (aka Toyota/Subaru).

The Q50 reviews were okay at best and the software still stinks.
The software was/is buggy, but its a new model and not uncommon for there to be some issues early on. It happens with a lot of 1st year models.

Then they confuse everyone with the name change.

They need to get it together very very quickly.
Well, they are currently in a transition period, but have already made changes and improvements very quickly. The name change was a smart move. It helps streamline their product line. In my opinion it would have made more sense to call everything "I" instead of 'Q", but Hyundai prevented that from happening.
Old 04-18-14, 08:31 PM
LexFather

Lol this sounds like the same things we heard in 2001, 2005, 2010 etc

Good luck!

Old 04-19-14, 08:03 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 816 Likes on 570 Posts

Ok, but how much more money is each QX80 bringing in vs. a Q50? It literally costs almost twice as much money. So selling 1000 units of the QX80 would essentially be equivalent to selling 2000 units of the Q50. Just because the QX80 only accounts for 10% of total units sold, doesn't mean that they're not the most profitable vehicle Infiniti sells (they are). So I think even though they sell more Q50s or QX60s, the QX80 is still very much a bread & butter product for them. Again, no one other than Cadillac really is selling 1000+ units/month of a full size 75k-80k Luxury SUV.
That's quite a stretch you're making there. 10% is 10% and continually stating that the truck costs 75-80k when the base model costs $62k is a large assumption as well. That's like assuming every LS sold is the 600hL and costs 100k

Quick Reply: Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread