Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NASCAR and Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-09, 11:48 AM
FNMUPN8
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default NASCAR and Toyota

I'm not a NASCAR guy at all but my father is big-time. I go to the Daytona 500 every year with him and my brother in-laws and I truly enjoy the day. With Toyota jumping in and clearly having the fastest cars the last 3 years ( and frequently finding the winners circle) I was wondering everybody's thoughts on the matter. Because I can tell you the old- school hardcore NASCAR good 'ol boys dont like it one bit, y'all. I find it funny. With the big 3 in so much financial trouble and rumors of Honda and Nissan possibly wanting in, I think we could see a serious NASCAR face-lift soon. I personally think this is great for the sport. I grew up 35 miles from Detroit and went to the NAIAS religously every year to see the new models. A part of me feels bad for the big 3, but deep down inside I am disappointed in their products, styling, and innovation. I bought my first foreign made car 9 years ago and frankly will never go back. Thoughts?
Old 06-21-09, 01:08 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,336 Posts

I've been a big NASCAR fan for more years than I care to remember. As far as funding goes, with 2 of the "big" three reducing their level of funding in recent weeks, foreign maker funding is now being encouraged by the NASCAR brass, I see this as a wave of the future. The American auto industry will never again be what it once was, and that truly is a shame. I guess I haven't helped, because two of my three vehicles are Lexus branded. My truck however is good ole USA. I haven't owned an American car since my '76 TransAm.

How do I feel about Toyota being in the sport? It's all good with me.

Lou
Old 06-21-09, 02:12 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When NASCAR goes back to showroom stock cars....or at least cars truly based on them, and adds in more road courses, I'll begin to care a damn.
Old 06-21-09, 02:42 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

I've followed NASCAR more and more since Toyota stepped into the game. I have to give those guys a lot of credit because it is more than just turning left for several laps. It's a physical and mental race.
Old 06-22-09, 12:09 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Toyota and NASCAR should never be uttered in the same breath. People around the world clown Americans for watching this unique oval style racing. I have seen the hosts of TOP GEAR make several jokes about circle track racing. Its hilarious. To each his own , but me and the Brits dont get the appeal
Old 06-22-09, 12:11 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Why dont the Japanese try to get into the GT circuit. They should bring over some of their JGTC technology and work it
Old 06-22-09, 04:33 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I've been a big NASCAR fan for more years than I care to remember. As far as funding goes, with 2 of the "big" three reducing their level of funding in recent weeks, foreign maker funding is now being encouraged by the NASCAR brass, I see this as a wave of the future. The American auto industry will never again be what it once was, and that truly is a shame. I guess I haven't helped, because two of my three vehicles are Lexus branded. My truck however is good ole USA. I haven't owned an American car since my '76 TransAm.

How do I feel about Toyota being in the sport? It's all good with me.

Lou
If more japanese brands get involved, maybe they can help change to rules to allow modern engines and fuel injection! I thought it wa s funny when toyota first became involved and had to hire outside "local" help to get the engine tuning right becaue none of their people knew enough about carburetors anymore! not that i blame them, carburetors are ridiculous.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
When NASCAR goes back to showroom stock cars....or at least cars truly based on them, and adds in more road courses, I'll begin to care a damn.
x2. a real stock car race would be awesome.
Old 06-22-09, 06:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Come on people, NASCAR is not a sport, F1 racing is a sport. Going around in a circle and see who had the most coffee to drink is not a sport