Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

You know. I'm really... diggin the 2010 Taurus

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
You know I too have been an import only buyer my entire life, but I saw my first domestic car to have an interior up to snuff with the likes of Honda and Toyota, the new Mustang.

I couldn't believe Ford actually made a good looking interior, I've only seen it shown on MotorWeek, so in person it may not be as nice, but really it seems they are starting to figure it out.

Dump the live rear axel and they'd have a decent car to compete with the 370Z.
Despite its simplicity, and contrary to the opinions of many, that live rear axle on the Mustang is not there just for cost-cutting. Ford knows that a lot of Mustang owners do burnouts, especially the higher-powered V8 models, and a live axle is generally more durable and able to withstand that kind of abuse than a number of other types. That was true back in the heyday of muscle-cars in the 1960s, and still is true today.
Old 06-22-09, 07:48 PM
C. McHale
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's a minority opinion, but I don't really like the exterior looks of this. Looks very fat and bloated. Only thing I like is the headlights. Otherwise I think Ford's own Fusion is a nicer looking car.

That said, the interior looks fairly nice. The fake wood needs to go though. Put in real stuff or don't put it in at all.

Another thing to point out--the top trim versions of this might potentially cannibalize sales from Lincoln and Mercury. Is this what Ford really wants to do?
Old 06-25-09, 10:29 AM
blessed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speedflex
I think our good friends over at Edmunds got it (the SHO) to do 5.8 secs. I'd hope for better with this engine but it is still a heavy ride.
Car and driver did it in 5.1 and think one Motor trend did in 5.2
Old 06-25-09, 11:34 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Taurus isn't bad but it's just far bigger than I'd need. The SHO's performance is decent but not segment busting with the G8 GT still sitting soundly at the top. I was hoping for a great performance vs mileage proposition with the new ecoboost engine but I have a feeling if this engine is placed in a smaller lighter vehicle the economy to performance ratio will become much more impressive. In other words I think it'll make an excellent high performance V6... not the greatest V8 substitute though, but still not bad.

I'd definitely be looking at the Fusion long before the Taurus but that's because I don't need anything nearly that big.
Old 06-25-09, 11:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
I was hoping for a great performance vs mileage proposition with the new ecoboost engine but I have a feeling if this engine is placed in a smaller lighter vehicle the economy to performance ratio will become much more impressive. In other words I think it'll make an excellent high performance V6... not the greatest V8 substitute though, but still not bad.
You have to remember that automakers don't have much choice anymore.....with the new CAFE and emissions rules that Obama and Congress have forced down their throats, the traditional big V8 will soon be history, except maybe for some heavy-duty pickups. Automakers will have to use tricks like the Ecoboost to maintain or increase power with smaller displacements.
Old 06-25-09, 11:42 AM
LexFather

This car makes the V-6 TSX, the TL and RL seem like complete and utter slow overpriced garbage. You would have to be a blind idiot to buy one of those vehicles over this SHO. We also have to queston quite a few cars for this price.

The Genesis V-8 and SHO really offer A LOT of spec for the money having everything but the badge.

Old 06-26-09, 12:19 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I just read thearticle on the car in Automobile magazine. It seems promising, but it no looker. I thinks its a bit ugly. Ford needs to bring over some of its euro models that look much nicer and seem more refined
Old 06-26-09, 09:11 AM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Headlights remind me of the Inifinti FX
Old 06-26-09, 09:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This car makes the V-6 TSX, the TL and RL seem like complete and utter slow overpriced garbage. You would have to be a blind idiot to buy one of those vehicles over this SHO. We also have to queston quite a few cars for this price.
The Genesis V-8 and SHO really offer A LOT of spec for the money having everything but the badge.
I plan to review a new Taurus, preferably an SHO, whenever possible. I'll withold comment on it until I do, but I agree that it looks promising....especially with the AWD. That is something that the Genesis, as nice a car as it is, sorely lacks.....and something that Hyundai should seriously consider.

The Acura RL, BTW, that you like to pan, also has AWD standard. Its interior and tank-like build quality is also first-rate, noticeably better than either the TL or TSX brothers, so, there, I can partially, but not totally agree with you.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-26-09 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-26-09, 09:54 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You have to remember that automakers don't have much choice anymore.....with the new CAFE and emissions rules that Obama and Congress have forced down their throats, the traditional big V8 will soon be history, except maybe for some heavy-duty pickups. Automakers will have to use tricks like the Ecoboost to maintain or increase power with smaller displacements.
You have to remember that consumers are making the choice already, and the steady decline already of traditional big V8's is well established already. Big 3 market share is at an all time low and they are the main purveyors of this kind of archaic machinery.
Old 06-26-09, 01:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
You have to remember that consumers are making the choice already, and the steady decline already of traditional big V8's is well established already. Big 3 market share is at an all time low and they are the main purveyors of this kind of archaic machinery.
I agree. This Eco Boost TT was in development long before the recent renewed focus on CAFE and emissions. Ford and other manufacturers (BMW, Audi etc.) have seen the need for options to V8 engines.
Old 06-26-09, 10:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Its still ugly.

What makes the designers of foreign car companies more talented????? I dont know what it is but other than a small handful of cars, American cars in general are ugly and cheap looking. They need to stop thinking of lowering the prices all of the time and try to produce a car that exudes style and class. I havent seen many American cars that look nicer than their European or Japanese competiton

What bothers most is when I see the quality of the Ford products sold in Europe relative to the states. Ford doesnt love it American buyers. They feed us crap while the Europeans ride in class and refinement that simply isnt available at the same trim levels in the US.

Eco boost aside, the car is busted
Old 06-27-09, 07:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Consumers usually make that choice based on gas prices. But that will not be the case this time. The new round of government CAFE/emissions rules will force alterations in vehicle design and marketing that consumers don't necessarily want.

Maybe we should leave the rest of the topic of government policy here alone. We're getting more into the area of the Clubhouse/Debate forum now than general CAR CHAT.
Old 06-27-09, 07:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Its still ugly.

What makes the designers of foreign car companies more talented????? I dont know what it is but other than a small handful of cars, American cars in general are ugly and cheap looking. They need to stop thinking of lowering the prices all of the time and try to produce a car that exudes style and class. I havent seen many American cars that look nicer than their European or Japanese competiton

What bothers most is when I see the quality of the Ford products sold in Europe relative to the states. Ford doesnt love it American buyers. They feed us crap while the Europeans ride in class and refinement that simply isnt available at the same trim levels in the US.

Eco boost aside, the car is busted
I can't agree that vehicles from American-nameplate manufacturers are necessarily more ugly than those from overseas.....it depends on specific vehicles. I've seen a lot of stuff from "foreign" automakers that I thought quite ugly......the original Scion xB, Nissan Murano, the Infiniti J30/FX35/45, Toyota Echo, some Chris Bangle-designed BMW coupes/roadsters, the Audi TT, and the new 2009 Acura TL are, IMO, good examples.

The two classic butt-ugly (IMO) American-designed examples are, of course, were the Pontiac Aztek and 1995-99 Taurus/Sable, both now out of production.

And, with the possible exception of the Focus and Escape/Mariner, most American-spec Ford products have shown dramatic improvement in the last few years in several areas.
Old 06-27-09, 08:02 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

I can't agree that vehicles from American-nameplate manufacturers are necessarily more ugly than those from overseas.....it depends on specific vehicles. I've seen a lot of stuff from "foreign" automakers that I thought quite ugly......the original Scion xB, Nissan Murano, the Infiniti J30/FX35/45, Toyota Echo, some Chris Bangle-designed BMW coupes/roadsters, the Audi TT, and the new 2009 Acura TL are, IMO, good examples.
I agree with all of those save for the Audi TT. I have always loved that car's design, especially since taller and wider people like myself actually fit in the coupe and not just the convertible.

The two classic butt-ugly (IMO) American-designed examples are, of course, were the Pontiac Aztek and 1995-99 Taurus/Sable, both now out of production.
Yes, the Asstek was horrible. I think you have the year a little off with the Taurus/Sable, though. The 95 was the same as the 91, largely unchanged from the 86. The 96, however, was the "bubble" that made the Taurus a design joke. I know this because I owned a 95, and people can say what they want about them, but mine was a great car. Was it a performance monster? No, but I didn't ask it to be one, either. When I got rid of it after 7.5 years and 75k+ miles, the mechanic who inspected it for the kid who was buying it flat out told me he hadn't seen one that meticulously maintained and he would buy it if the kid didn't want it. Obviously, this kind of glowing review was reflective of my care, but I didn't do much to it other than keep it waxed, change the oil every 3K, and had the tranny redone around 103K. Not bad for a car that was long paid off and gave me virtually no problems.

And, with the possible exception of the Focus and Escape/Mariner, most American-spec Ford products have shown dramatic improvement in the last few years in several areas.
I agree here, too. Most of the newer designs are showing vast improvements. My friend is a die hard V8 RWD fan. He's only had Ford products and his family runs a repair facility, so they see many different brands. He sticks with them because he likes the cars, and while his current Cobra is not my taste (far, FAR too small, hot, and noisy for me) even he was remarking about how the new Taurus was impressive enough to get him to look twice at it. Because it's a larger car, he'd never buy it (at least right now, being single), but when even that type of buyer looks at it Ford is doing something right.

I do agree with I8A, however, in that Ford would do well to bring some of the Euro designs here. I just think the American offerings aren't completely useless.

Big Mack

Quick Reply: You know. I'm really... diggin the 2010 Taurus