Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

You know. I'm really... diggin the 2010 Taurus

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-09, 08:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
I think you have the year a little off with the Taurus/Sable, though. The 95 was the same as the 91, largely unchanged from the 86. The 96, however, was the "bubble" that made the Taurus a design joke.
Thanks. I might have been off a year. I was, as you note, referring to that generation bubble-Taurus. Not only was it a styling joke, but the materials used in it were cheap and unimpressive as well
Old 06-27-09, 09:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Its still ugly.

What makes the designers of foreign car companies more talented????? I dont know what it is but other than a small handful of cars, American cars in general are ugly and cheap looking. They need to stop thinking of lowering the prices all of the time and try to produce a car that exudes style and class. I havent seen many American cars that look nicer than their European or Japanese competiton
that's your opinion, but while i don't think the exterior of the new SHO is a home run, i think it's good, and i think the interior is outstanding and blows away MANY 'foreign' rivals.

also, i think the cadillac cts interior competes or beats anything in its class. the lincoln mks is excellent in and out too.

What bothers most is when I see the quality of the Ford products sold in Europe relative to the states. Ford doesnt love it American buyers. They feed us crap while the Europeans ride in class and refinement that simply isnt available at the same trim levels in the US.
ford certainly has some nice products in europe, but all is not what it seems. first off, prices are WAY HIGHER in europe, so its not a direct comparison. the u.s. marketplace is brutally competitive. second, while you may like certain european designs, they often cut costs in ways that aren't obvious like sound insulation, and a lot more cars having cloth instead of leather. americans want quiet cars, but europeans are used to noisy cars. the cool looking european ford focus will make you deaf on a long highway run.
Old 06-27-09, 10:04 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Consumers usually make that choice based on gas prices. But that will not be the case this time. The new round of government CAFE/emissions rules will force alterations in vehicle design and marketing that consumers don't necessarily want.

Maybe we should leave the rest of the topic of government policy here alone. We're getting more into the area of the Clubhouse/Debate forum now than general CAR CHAT.
Fact is consumers making the choice for a variety of reasons, only they can say why. Higher gas prices is another method of forcing consumers to make better choices too.

I agree CHIT CHAT might not be the place for the spewing of political rhetoric like DEBATE forum.
Old 06-27-09, 10:27 AM
LexFather

I think the Taurus looks pretty good. The Malibu and CTS and G8 also look great. I also really like the redesigned Fusion.
Quite frankly I find many Asian designs grotesque, pretty much all Honda/Acura/Mitsubishi/most Toyotas and others.

Old 06-28-09, 12:20 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like it has lots of tech
Old 06-28-09, 01:42 AM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just ugly...imo