Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study-Lexus receives awards for IS, GS, GX, LS & LX

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 01:04 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Look at Hyundai at #4, nice going, more competition from Korea means better cars for us.

Interesting note here is that the industial average # of problems per 100 cars is lower than 2008. The industry as a whole is make higher quality cars. What does that mean for a car company like Lexus, which sells cars based on their reputation for reliability.
Old 06-22-09, 01:05 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, even though I do have some respect for J.D. Power (I was once a part of their focus discussion groups, not just a random survey-member), I've said for years that Consumer Reports does a better and more accurate job, although they survey in fewer different categories than Power.
I agree with your assessment. Like them or not, both JDP and CR are influential and are the best resources available for consumers. I don't view either as "gospel", but as references when making a car purchase.
Old 06-22-09, 01:16 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, even though I do have some respect for J.D. Power (I was once a part of their focus discussion groups, not just a random survey-member), I've said for years that Consumer Reports does a better and more accurate job, although they survey in fewer different categories than Power.
Yes... I remember... we've had this conversation several times now.

My opinion of CR, as I've said before, is still lower than that of JDP simply due to their inherently flawed survey methods.
Old 06-22-09, 02:07 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Jingly Dashboard & Consumer Reports are the biggest farces. People will believe in them as they do Miss Cleo.. Lemee go buy the #1 car on the list now
So what do Sauerkraut fans cite for quality metrics? Or is that even in your vocabulary?
Old 06-22-09, 03:04 PM
LexFather

There is no CORRECT survey. We are fortunate to see these survey's done and we can come to conclusions. I've found their conclusions easily mimic the issues or non issues on car forums.

Old 06-22-09, 04:48 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
So what do Sauerkraut fans cite for quality metrics? Or is that even in your vocabulary?
The look on hot woman's face when they see a tall, handsome, in shape, successful man rolling in a new car. They know quality when they see it. Is that in your vocabulary?
Old 06-22-09, 04:54 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The look on hot woman's face when they see a tall, handsome, in shape, successful man rolling in a new car. They know quality when they see it. Is that in your vocabulary?
Since when does the average woman know anything about a car other than if it looks cute or not? I think you basically just admitted to being a badge *****.

Anyhow... IMO he asked a valid question (even though he didn't ask it very politely)... if you discredit JD Power and CR entirely, what other surveys do you give credit to, or do you just not believe anything you ever read and assume that your personal experience is the best metric of future experiences?

While I don't consider any survey to be the absolute word on quality, if CR, JDP, Consumer Guide, Wards, etc plus the various mags/editorials etc are all telling me similar things... then I'll definitely take note. I combine that with my own personal experience, but I tend to give my experience less priority over what I read since I believe in statistics and the law of averages as a whole when the surveys are executed properly.
Old 06-22-09, 05:05 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Since when does the average woman know anything about a car other than if it looks cute or not? I think you basically just admitted to being a badge *****.

Anyhow... IMO he asked a valid question (even though he didn't ask it very politely)... if you discredit JD Power and CR entirely, what other surveys do you give credit to, or do you just not believe anything you ever read and assume that your personal experience is the best metric of future experiences?

While I don't consider any survey to be the absolute word on quality, if CR, JDP, Consumer Guide, Wards, etc plus the various mags/editorials etc are all telling me similar things... then I'll definitely take note. I combine that with my own personal experience, but I tend to give my experience less priority over what I read since I believe in statistics and the law of averages as a whole when the surveys are executed properly.
I had to stoop to the level of the child for a moment. No, I am not a badge blah blah blah. I never let magazines, surveys that have not changed since the days of the high top fade, dictate my buying decision. These sample surveys are not accurate. Did any of you get a survey from J.D Powers? I've bought 3 new cars to date going on 4 & I nevr got a survey from J.D. Powers.. I base my quality assessment on experiencing the product on my own or in my case buying them. That is more accurate than a study hall set of survey participants in my book.
Old 06-22-09, 05:05 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Auto Bild (Germany) probably does the most comprehensive analysis of reliability in the industry, and while (taking into account the varying model mix btwn the States and Germany) there are a few discrepancies, one will usually find the same makes at the top and bottom of their rankings as in CR or JDP.
Old 06-22-09, 08:01 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Look at Hyundai at #4, nice going, more competition from Korea means better cars for us.
yeah, that's a big fire lit under lexus' ***.

too bad initial quality doesn't mean squat after 3000 miles.
Old 06-22-09, 08:13 PM
LexFather

I had to stoop to the level of the child for a moment. No, I am not a badge blah blah blah. I never let magazines, surveys that have not changed since the days of the high top fade, dictate my buying decision. These sample surveys are not accurate. Did any of you get a survey from J.D Powers? I've bought 3 new cars to date going on 4 & I nevr got a survey from J.D. Powers.. I base my quality assessment on experiencing the product on my own or in my case buying them. That is more accurate than a study hall set of survey participants in my book.
You are telling us personal experience is better than these quality trusted survey by professionals? Every automaker follows these surveys adamantly.You're the same guy that balks at people who share their experiences as well?
LOL @ the fairy tale stories of friends, moms, the dog getting $10k, $20k off residuals. Absolute BS.. With residuals, the banks is the one who guarantees the value at lease end thus they set it. If any discounts are to be had, it would be the money factor at lease inception.. That number will go down based on your down payments (MSD's and the like).. Now, with regards to negotiating the residual with Lexus.. Yeah right... See for yourself...

So you want us to
1. Believe you
2. Not believe other people and their stories
3. Not believe JD Power

Wow

I strongly suggest reading this before people go from laughing at your posts to not paying any attention to them.

http://www.dobney.com/Research/MR_basics.htm

Old 06-22-09, 08:35 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

CR is a very good and accurate publication. Usually CR is dead on with their date. Only car I do not agree with is the 99 out of 100 score for LS460.

The J.D Power awards seem a little wishy-washy...
Old 06-22-09, 08:38 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Jingly Dashboard
Lame!
Old 06-22-09, 08:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

funny, every single car i have bought over the last 7 yrs (5 new cars), i have received survey from JD together with a few other institutes.
Old 06-22-09, 08:47 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
funny, every single car i have bought over the last 7 yrs (5 new cars), i have received survey from JD together with a few other institutes.
My dad recieved one survey from JD. I have never recieved a survey. I think the dealership has to be set up with JD powers for the owner to recieve one.

Quick Reply: 2009 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study-Lexus receives awards for IS, GS, GX, LS & LX