Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study-Lexus receives awards for IS, GS, GX, LS & LX

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 08:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
My dad recieved one survey from JD. I think the dealership has to be set up with JD powers for the owner to recieve one.
could be. my cars were/are from 3 different brands/dealerships
Old 06-22-09, 09:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
funny, every single car i have bought over the last 7 yrs (5 new cars), i have received survey from JD together with a few other institutes.
No you didn't cause according to him, its b.s and you are lying.

Originally Posted by pagemaster
My dad recieved one survey from JD. I have never recieved a survey. I think the dealership has to be set up with JD powers for the owner to recieve one.
Sorry, Mr. Surveys suck says your Dad didn't get one either and you're lying too

Old 06-22-09, 10:08 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Initial quality means very little in my book. My Fusion was great for a few months, then all hell broke loose and off and that POS rated great in initial quality.
Who purchases a car for 3 months? Initial quality is not a bullet proof indicator of long term reliability.
Old 06-22-09, 10:12 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Who purchases a car for 3 months? Initial quality is not a bullet proof indicator of long term reliability.
If I remember correctly. The JD powers survey comes to the owner about 2-3 weeks after purchase and ask questions at this time. Its pretty pointless.

I have never seen a CR form
Old 06-22-09, 11:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

nice!!! good news
Old 06-23-09, 12:45 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's always nice when Lexus is the best in something
Old 06-23-09, 02:55 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You are telling us personal experience is better than these quality trusted survey by professionals?
Yes.. Self assessment is the best assessment. I take it you have people dictate what clothes you should wear too.. The folks who took part in these surveys by J.D. are professionals??? ok...

You're the same guy that balks at people who share their experiences as well?
That's right.. It is a forum isn't it? If we all shared the same views and kept everything on the positive for Lexus, wouldn't it remind you of Car & Driver magazine that you balk about being pro Honda & BMW??

So you want us to
1. Believe you
2. Not believe other people and their stories
3. Not believe JD Power

Wow
Your choice..

I strongly suggest reading this before people go from laughing at your posts to not paying any attention to them.

http://www.dobney.com/Research/MR_basics.htm
RLMAO. Who are you? Are you the resident expert? You don't know me from a can of paint. Continue with your suggestions...

funny, every single car i have bought over the last 7 yrs (5 new cars), i have received survey from JD together with a few other institutes.
Which brand of cars? Interesting, I never received a survey from J.D. Powers (but from other institutions) for the Toyota & BMW's. My Lexus GS was purchased used back in 2000 so no survey for it.

Here is a survey I received that I posted about a while back
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...cle-study.html

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 06-23-09 at 03:03 AM.
Old 06-23-09, 04:54 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Since when does the average woman know anything about a car other than if it looks cute or not? I think you basically just admitted to being a badge *****.

Anyhow... IMO he asked a valid question (even though he didn't ask it very politely)... if you discredit JD Power and CR entirely, what other surveys do you give credit to, or do you just not believe anything you ever read and assume that your personal experience is the best metric of future experiences?

While I don't consider any survey to be the absolute word on quality, if CR, JDP, Consumer Guide, Wards, etc plus the various mags/editorials etc are all telling me similar things... then I'll definitely take note. I combine that with my own personal experience, but I tend to give my experience less priority over what I read since I believe in statistics and the law of averages as a whole when the surveys are executed properly.
Very well stated Threxx, a person cannot discount all surveys and just count on their individual life's experiences !
Old 06-23-09, 04:58 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lex
It's always nice when Lexus is the best in something
You're right Lex, I tell all my wealthy friends to consider Lexus first, then check out the other competiters, they usually come back to Lexus since the JD Powers surveys influence their purchase decision.
Old 06-23-09, 05:39 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lets see what J.D. Powers is all about..

The Truth About J.D. Power’s IQS
By Michael Karesh
June 13, 2006

Another year, another J.D. Power survey. Since the non-profit Consumer Reports organization prohibits carmakers from using its ratings in their ads, “ranked highest in initial quality by J.D. Power and Associates” should start flooding the airwaves and Internet any minute now, with print sure to follow. But does all of this noise signify anything? Should those seeking trouble-free wheels be sure to buy one of J.D.’s winners? Hardly.

First, note the “initial” that qualifies “quality.” Power surveys car owners on “problems” encountered within their first 90 days of ownership. Most people understand that a car that’s reliable for 90 days isn’t necessarily reliable beyond that. But there’s a bigger issue. J.D. Power’s IQS has been redesigned (for the second time) to encompass a larger number of potential defects. And the more the IQS includes, the less it measures what most people want to know: vehicle reliability.

The previous redesign doubled the average number of reported problems per car by extending the IQS beyond defects (that can be fixed) to designed-in annoyances (that must be endured). For example, cupholder dissatisfaction famously slammed MINI’s score. The 2006 IQS report takes a step in the right direction by including subscores for "design quality" and "production quality." Combining two very different elements into a single score makes it unclear what the number represents. Yet this score receives 99 percent of the press coverage and 100 percent of the ad citations.

If you compare the rankings based on production quality alone, the brands’ relative positions change dramatically. BMW bounds 24 places to third; Buick jumps 14 to eighth; MINI ascends 13 to 16th; Mercedes-Benz climbs nine also to 16th; Subaru also gains nine to 19th. At the same time, Dodge drops eight to 27th; GMC plummets 13 rungs to 22nd; Nissan plunges ten, also to 22nd. Eight others change position by at least five slots. These include Chrysler, which shares many models with Dodge yet moves up five places, to fifth. Out of 37 brands, 16 rankings are heavily affected by the inclusion of design quality.

Beyond the cloudiness of the revised methodology, the way the results are reported and spun continues to put too much emphasis on relative rankings. In fact, absolute differences are often minuscule. Looking at defect rates alone, 22 out of 37 brands fall within one-tenth of a Problem per Car (PPC) of the 0.64 average. Thirty of 37 brands fall within two-tenths. Of the seven beyond this range, only one, Lexus, is on the top, and it only betters the average by 0.22 problems per car.

Stay with me here. The best brand, Lexus, has 0.42 problems per car, while the worst, Isuzu, has 1.10: a best-to-worst difference of 0.68 problems per car. Even this range results from a few especially low-scoring brands. The difference between number three (Toyota) and number 32 (Hummer) is a scant 0.27 problems per car. It’s ironic, since brands at the bottom of the chart receive the least attention in J.D. Power’s press releases. For years they didn’t even publicly release below-average scores.

Put another way, a Toyota compared to a Hummer has a one in four chance of having a single additional problem. Even comparing a car from Isuzu with one from Lexus, only two in three cars will have a single additional problem. What’s more, this additional problem is likely to be the only problem. Folks, we're talking about a single trip to the dealer for a single problem–which you still face nearly even odds of taking if you buy the best brand.

The reason why J.D. Power lumps design quality into the IQS is clear: without it, the differences between brands are rarely worth debating. And the smaller the differences, the less people care about IQS. And the less the pubic cares about IQS, the less automakers will pay to advertise IQS scores, and hire Power consultants to help improve them. This would truly be a problem– for J.D. Power.

J.D. needs to re-think their methodology and reporting. They should keep problems that require repair separate from other issues. Forget the brands, they don’t vary enough. Instead, emphasize model scores. Next, focus less on rankings and who is the best and more on the size of the differences and who is within spitting distance of the best. Finally, J.D. Power needs to shift their emphasis away from “initial quality” towards long-term durability. Manufacturers won’t like that a longer-term study keeps new models off J.D.-branded consumer radar, but anything less is, well, less.

Heck, J.D. Power might even rake in more cash this way. Anyone reasonably near the top—and not just those at the top—could advertise “ranked good enough in quality that you should focus on other criteria by J.D. Power and Associates.” No, it’s not punchy. Just the truth. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/the...jd-powers-iqs/[/QUOTE]

Happy shopping
Old 06-23-09, 05:44 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The look on hot woman's face when they see a tall, handsome, in shape, successful man rolling in a new car. They know quality when they see it. Is that in your vocabulary?
So your whole basis on reliability and quality is the assumption of a chick?

I guess Ferraris and Lambos are the most reliable and proven quality vehicles on the road.....my gawd, how stupid and bias can you get?
Old 06-23-09, 05:49 AM
ST430
Pole Position

I had to stoop to the level of the child for a moment. No, I am not a badge blah blah blah. I never let magazines, surveys that have not changed since the days of the high top fade, dictate my buying decision. These sample surveys are not accurate. Did any of you get a survey from J.D Powers? I've bought 3 new cars to date going on 4 & I nevr got a survey from J.D. Powers.. I base my quality assessment on experiencing the product on my own or in my case buying them. That is more accurate than a study hall set of survey participants in my book.
Interesting, so your premise on quality is with personal experience? So, since I've bought 12 new cars, every year since 1999 (and received 8 JD power survey requests at that), does that make me an authority on quality? I really fail to see any logic by any of your posts, more so trying to justify your completely baseless opinions.
Old 06-23-09, 05:52 AM
ST430
Pole Position

By Michael Karesh
June 13, 2006

J.D. needs to re-think their methodology and reporting. They should keep problems that require repair separate from other issues. Forget the brands, they don’t vary enough. Instead, emphasize model scores. Next, focus less on rankings and who is the best and more on the size of the differences and who is within spitting distance of the best. Finally, J.D. Power needs to shift their emphasis away from “initial quality” towards long-term durability. Manufacturers won’t like that a longer-term study keeps new models off J.D.-branded consumer radar, but anything less is, well, less.

Happy shopping

So your whole rationale to discredit JD Powers is because a guy's rant, who runs a company that is a competitor to JD Powers? Got any other random articles you want to pull out of the internet to discredit CR as well?

Last edited by ST430; 06-23-09 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-23-09, 06:14 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By Michael Karesh
June 13, 2006
Michael Karesh, the author of that article, is the sole owner and editor of truedelta.com ... a website that does nothing but survey people for reliability data.

In other words JD Power is the giant they are trying to topple... the guy they're trying to replace.

In other words this article is about as credible as listening to your local bakery owner tell you why Walmart is the devil. He may have some good points, but he has every reason in the world to be biased against them, too.
Old 06-23-09, 06:21 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

could be. my cars were/are from 3 different brands/dealerships
I did the JDPower survey for the LS last year after I bought it, but never received their survey forms for any of the new cars I bought before that, including the SC430 I bought from the same dealer 6 years ago.

I don't think they can survey EVERYONE who bought new cars though for their studies, so maybe they just send out their forms randomly to get a big enough sample ?

Quick Reply: 2009 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study-Lexus receives awards for IS, GS, GX, LS & LX