Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study-Lexus receives awards for IS, GS, GX, LS & LX

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-09, 10:55 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats to Lexus for getting to the top again, especially considering they were #2 to Porsche for several years. Although this is the IQS, which is only for the initial factory impression...after the survey change I wasn't sure if Lexus would be able to take the top spot from Porsche (IIRC they would still have ranked tops if not for the survey change, letting Porsche get ahead). Now it seems they also got the Platinum award back, but not to Tahara, instead to Higashi Fuji (SC 430 production). And kudos to the LX 570 for taking the best overall vehicle award; previously was the LS 430 and the SC 430.
Old 06-29-09, 07:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Mini laughs off last place quality rankings.

Looks like mini has a BIG problem

The carmaker owned by Germany's BMW AG has seen sales fall over the last year but has snapped up market share from its bigger rivals. On Monday, it announced plans to open 17 new dealerships across the country.
View related photos
Mark Lennihan / AP

Interactive

Most reliable cars
J.D. Power’s 2009 Initial Quality Study shows the quality of vehicles built for American consumers has improved this year, but imported brands are still top of the list.
Most popular
Most viewed Top rated Most e-mailed
Attorney: Delay in calling 911 for Jackson
Man trying to help another dies in bridge fall
Best in breed: Top 10 most popular dogs
First $1 million find for ‘Antiques Roadshow’
Madoff sentenced to 150 years in prison
Most viewed on msnbc.com

updated 1:02 p.m. PT, Sun., June 28, 2009
NEW YORK - For Mini, the maker of sporty — if sometimes eccentric — pint-sized hatchbacks, landing at the bottom of another closely watched vehicle quality study this week is almost a point of pride.

Mini says it deliberately engineers quirks into its cars, like oddly placed dashboard controls or unusual interior lighting, that drag down its ratings in such studies. But Jim McDowell, vice president of Mini's U.S. operations, said those design features are central to the brand's personality.

"Mini has some idiosyncrasies that we engineer into our cars," said Jim McDowell, vice president of Mini's U.S. operations. "We want to make our cars remarkable little cars."
Attached Thumbnails 2009 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study-Lexus receives awards for IS, GS, GX, LS & LX-db5f6c94-02f6-47df-9f2d-3d361332c49e.hmedium.jpg  
Old 06-29-09, 07:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have no clue why this mini thread was merged. Its a different company all together

*** it's merged because it's from the SAME study on ALL auto manufacturers ***

Last edited by Gojirra99; 06-29-09 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-30-09, 09:33 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Initial quality means very little in my book. My Fusion was great for a few months, then all hell broke loose and off and that POS rated great in initial quality.
Who purchases a car for 3 months? Initial quality is not a bullet proof indicator of long term reliability.
there ya go! great point.
Old 06-30-09, 01:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Looks like mini has a BIG problem

The carmaker owned by Germany's BMW AG has seen sales fall over the last year but has snapped up market share from its bigger rivals. On Monday, it announced plans to open 17 new dealerships across the country.
Mini isn't "flavor of the month" currently.....
Old 06-30-09, 01:21 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Next week, the Nissan Cube will be #1!
Old 06-30-09, 01:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
If I remember correctly. The JD powers survey comes to the owner about 2-3 weeks after purchase and ask questions at this time. Its pretty pointless.

I have never seen a CR form
The CR form goes out once a year to paying subscribers, and includes not only new/used cars but appliances and a number of other things as well. You simply check off what you bought and your experiences with it. If you didn't buy anything, of course, there is nothing to fill out.
Old 06-30-09, 02:25 PM
LexFather

Damn so Mini basically said we build bad car for fun

I love Mini's though....

Old 06-30-09, 05:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Damn so Mini basically said we build bad car for fun

I love Mini's though....
I like Mini's too, but I don't see me buying a cartoon car anytime soon.
Old 06-30-09, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The Mini Clubman I reviewed recently didn't have any audible squeaks or rattles, but otherwise did not seem particularly tightly screwed together. A number of the interior and exterior trim parts, besides their obvious quirkiness, had a somewhat cheap, loose feel.
Old 06-30-09, 10:14 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like Industry Average went up quite a bit... seems like cars are getting better overall... can't believe Acura is below "Industry Average", shame on them...
Old 06-30-09, 11:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

mini meet in england...

Old 07-01-09, 12:46 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Mini Clubman I reviewed recently didn't have any audible squeaks or rattles, but otherwise did not seem particularly tightly screwed together. A number of the interior and exterior trim parts, besides their obvious quirkiness, had a somewhat cheap, loose feel.
Really? They seem remarkably well put together and really do exude the premium nature their pricetag would warrant (IMO). Body hardware is as good as any BMW. Everything just feels solid, well done. Seems to me much better than lots of other cheaper cars this size.
Old 07-01-09, 03:20 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Really? They seem remarkably well put together and really do exude the premium nature their pricetag would warrant (IMO). Body hardware is as good as any BMW. Everything just feels solid, well done. Seems to me much better than lots of other cheaper cars this size.
The Mini has interior parts that are not screwed together properly yet exhibits no squeeks and rattles?? Okay now.. Car chat is great. I will miss the laughs