Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Diesel revenge? Audi launches campaign as diesel fuel is now cheaper than gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 06:59 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Diesel revenge? Audi launches campaign as diesel fuel is now cheaper than gas

Luxury buyers haven't paid much attention to diesels. Both BMW and Mercedes-Benz have tried ad campaigns to boost sales of their advanced diesel-powered luxury cars, but they didn't seem to make much of an impact on sales. Today, Audi starts its own "public awareness campaign" -- with a big advantage.

That's because for the first time in memory, diesel fuel cost less than gasoline. It also helps, too, that fuel prices are rising, putting fear of high gas costs back on the list approved topics for summer ****tail party chatter. The average price of a gallon of gas is $2.69, AAA says. By contrast, Diesel is now six cents cheaper at $2.63.

Until now, luxury car makers were limited to selling their advanced diesel models by touting their increased torque, quiet performance and increased driving range. None of it seemed to stick. When Open Road visited BMW North American CEO Jim O'Donnell in April, he expressed disappointment that diesel wasn't catching on faster. It was only a couple years ago that all the German automakers were insisting that diesel was a better gas-saving technology than hybrids and that sales were sure to take off.

Audi, with its big, $50,900 Q7 diesel SUV, will push diesels as a way of freeing the U.S. from dependence on foreign oil (see USA TODAY Q7 Test Drive here). The Q7 will be joined by an A3 diesel sedan in the fall. There will be ads on TV and stickers on gas pumps around the country. The campaign, too, will push efficiency and 700-mile range from a single 26-gallon fillup
http://content.usatoday.com/communit.../06/68333827/1

you can watch the new commerciasl here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNXekaQDfJg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T6UlkpqH-k
Old 06-22-09, 07:30 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Diesel aint cheaper than gas here.

And perhaps BMW's diesels haven't caught on because the 335d is quite expensive.
Old 06-22-09, 07:37 PM
LexFather

Wow 6 whole cents cheaper. I mean I have noticed it but only diehard diesel fans seem to be accepting of the vehicles. I've yet to speak to another human being that has brought up a diesel when MPG comes up. Its always "hybrid" fwiw.

The price is volatile anyway it could easily shoot right up past gas like it was last year.

I'm all for diesels though but I fear most people just don't want one.

Old 06-22-09, 07:46 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Diesel prices will increase. The demand for it isnt there the way gasoline is. Climbing oil prices will catch up to diesel.
Old 06-22-09, 08:05 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Diesel in chicago is 2.50 and premium is at 3.30. Thats a 80 cent diffrence. All my cars are V8's asside from my sprinter so I am feeling gas price's a bit more again.
Old 06-22-09, 08:23 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The thing that's holding me back from diesel is the complexity to acheive the high mpg.
You'll be tied to VW/BMW service and potentially high maintenance costs/reliability it'll take to take care of a guden complex turbodiesel.
Old 06-22-09, 11:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Audi has some really amazing diesel racing technology that they can and are applying to their diesel models. Look at them on the track with the Le Mans cars
Old 06-22-09, 11:52 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Today in Los Angeles I paid $3.38 for 91 and noticed diesel was $3.19, same as 87.

Does anyone know if diesel is usually around the same price as regular unleaded? Is that like a rule of thumb for diesel prices?

I never bothered to notice but I'm curious...
Old 06-23-09, 01:43 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Today in Los Angeles I paid $3.38 for 91 and noticed diesel was $3.19, same as 87.

Does anyone know if diesel is usually around the same price as regular unleaded? Is that like a rule of thumb for diesel prices?

I never bothered to notice but I'm curious...
Here you go:
http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petro...petroleum.html
Old 06-23-09, 02:21 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Seems to me that they're relying on fear of high gas prices to sell the cars (or at least the idea). This doesn't really say good business plan.

I'm not saying the technology isn't there, I just think they're going about the marketing/promoting & general education of the public all wrong. 'It will save you money on gas' isn't really were the luxury buyer is at. I know for me, if it's more efficient that's very nice but it wont be the deciding factor.
Old 06-23-09, 06:54 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by raytseng
The thing that's holding me back from diesel is the complexity to acheive the high mpg.
You'll be tied to VW/BMW service and potentially high maintenance costs/reliability it'll take to take care of a guden complex turbodiesel.
diesel is not complex its quite the opposite, its simple efficient and powerful. hybrids on the other hand.....

diesel differs from a gasoline engine by the lack of a spark. so much heat and preasure is made in combustion chamber that the fuel ignites with out a spark. that self detonation makes all that twisting power (torque). That is quite a efficient system.
Old 06-23-09, 06:59 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

diesel is as cheap or cheaper than reg here

the engines make more power, and have more use then small gas engines do

would love to see america make a diesel push
Old 06-23-09, 11:08 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by bad co
diesel is not complex its quite the opposite, its simple efficient and powerful. hybrids on the other hand.....

diesel differs from a gasoline engine by the lack of a spark. so much heat and preasure is made in combustion chamber that the fuel ignites with out a spark. that self detonation makes all that twisting power (torque). That is quite a efficient system.
I would agree that a diesel is simple.
But a turbo diesel with all the fancy doohickeys needed to comply with emissions is not.
Combine that with VW's less then steller reliability ratings and I'd say reliability and service is an issue.
Old 06-23-09, 11:13 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i have no use for a diesel i drive 9 miles a day and its city, which isn't the ideal place for a diesel (the highway is). I love my 306 hp anyways.
Old 06-23-09, 11:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i have no use for a diesel i drive 9 miles a day and its city, which isn't the ideal place for a diesel (the highway is). I love my 306 hp anyways.
306 hp is useful for your daily 9 miles non-highway driving then ?

Quick Reply: Diesel revenge? Audi launches campaign as diesel fuel is now cheaper than gas