Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review Update: 2010 Lexus RX350/450H

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-09, 12:47 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is it true that the turning radius on the 2010 RX350 is 40 feet? Or is this only for the model with 19" wheels?

How is maneuverability on this thing?
Old 06-25-09, 12:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
So no noticeable differences in build quality, fit and finish, etc., between the Japanese built RX450h and the Canadian made RX350 ... sounds good, thanks for the review.

I've sat in the new RX, and I like the modern looking interior much better than the previous RX's
In 10 days, I will finally get to drive a new RX350 loaner when I take my SC430 in for maintainence.
i didn't drive it, but i was at dealership checking out the new RX the other weekend. we also love the newer styling more especially the interior. very modern. initial quality looks very good, the fit and finish are better than that in my gs imho. now road driving of course is another thing
Old 06-25-09, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Is it true that the turning radius on the 2010 RX350 is 40 feet? Or is this only for the model with 19" wheels?
I don't know the exact turning radius; I didn't measure it. But you might be able to find it in Lexus's spec sheet or in some formal car-magazine tests.

How is maneuverability on this thing?
Manuverability is not bad, although you can't expect it to have Mazda Miata or Honda S2000-like agility. The Hybrid model seemed to have slightly better steering response, but, of course, that may have been a result of the optional Sport Package on the one I drove. And, though it is rather wide and tall like most SUVs in its class, it is not that long, so getting into and out of regular-sized parking spaces is not too bad. Remember, without going into stereotypes, Lexus knows that the RX series is used by a lot of moms for grocery-shopping and typical suburban chores, so it has to be able to get into and out of typical mall parking spaces easily.
Old 06-25-09, 03:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
the fit and finish are better than that in my gs imho. now road driving of course is another thing
The AWD in the RX450H, with its three electric motors (one up front with the gas engine, and one on each rear wheel in back), particularly with the Sport package and 19" wheels, has pretty good response and grip for an SUV of its type (better than any RX I've tried before), although in steering feel and precision, it is not quite the equal of the BMW X5. And the refinement and low noise level is classic....the RX, in its class, clearly leads in quiet, stress-free driving.
Old 06-25-09, 04:50 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The AWD in the RX450H, with its three electric motors (one up front with the gas engine, and one on each rear wheel in back), particularly with the Sport package and 19" wheels, has pretty good response and grip for an SUV of its type (better than any RX I've tried before), although in steering feel and precision, it is not quite the equal of the BMW X5. And the refinement and low noise level is classic....the RX, in its class, clearly leads in quiet, stress-free driving.
I've driven the RX300, 330, 350, and of course 400h and the 400h is the only that has allowed me any wheel spin off the line. I love those electric motors.
Old 06-25-09, 06:21 PM
LexFather

Thanks for the update Mike, its actually the only RX I would consider, along with the last 400h. If you are going to tool around town, its a no brainier to me. When my time comes for a SUV both are very high in the running (if I can't get a wagon lol). 52k gets you a lot tech/vehicle. Also the 450h is SULEV compliant compared to the RX 350 and it will be tons quieter running on battery power etc. Passing power also is a lot stronger.

Demand is very high for them right now. THanks so much for this!

Old 06-25-09, 07:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks for the update Mike,
Sure. Anytime.

its actually the only RX I would consider, along with the last 400h. If you are going to tool around town, its a no brainier to me. When my time comes for a SUV both are very high in the running (if I can't get a wagon lol). 52k gets you a lot tech/vehicle. Also the 450h is SULEV compliant compared to the RX 350 and it will be tons quieter running on battery power etc. Passing power also is a lot stronger.

If you compare the 450H to the older 400H, I think you will like the new model more.....especially with the Sport Package. I'm not wild about that console-mounted computer-mouse, though, especially over bumps if you're trying to stabilize it.......but I would take it before BMW's I-Drive or Audi's MMI.

Demand is very high for them right now. !
You got that right. The one I drove had another deposit put down on it before I could even get it back to the shop.
Old 06-25-09, 08:24 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't know the exact turning radius; I didn't measure it. But you might be able to find it in Lexus's spec sheet or in some formal car-magazine tests.

According to this website Link the turning radius is indeed 40'.

I'm surprised nobody brought this up as a con since that was an issue with the first generation RX300. I also owned a 2k1 Maxima with a 40' turning radius which felt like a tugboat when negotiating U turns.
Old 06-25-09, 09:58 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Lexus Specs say 38.8' turning circle. BMW X5 turning radius is 21' or 42' turning circle so the 450h does pretty well.
Steve

Last edited by oldcajun; 06-25-09 at 10:05 PM.