Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Yaris Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-09, 07:48 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given a Prius and Insight, I would also take the Prius. But what I am trying to get at is Insight is a great alternative to Prius given it's lower pricing and better road dynamic.

Even with 10K unit sold in May it's still 30% less than the comparable last May. So as you can see this is also effect by the lower gas price and the economy.
Old 06-26-09, 08:18 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wmb0000
Given a Prius and Insight, I would also take the Prius. But what I am trying to get at is Insight is a great alternative to Prius given it's lower pricing and better road dynamic.

Even with 10K unit sold in May it's still 30% less than the comparable last May. So as you can see this is also effect by the lower gas price and the economy.
Oh Im not disagreeing with you, the economy is taking its toll on vehicle sales. However, Honda wanted to give the Prius a run for its money, given its low price, and well...its not delievering. Do I think hybrid sports car like the CR-Z will work? Yes. We don't have one. Nevertheless, I am disspointed that Honda hasn't created a hybrid setup good enough to go into a large vehicle like the hybrid. The Accord hybrid setup could have done it, but that was dropped a couple years ago now.
Old 06-26-09, 08:29 AM
LexFather

That is true that sale of Insight is not doing well but that's is because of a few factors like the gas prices is relative low and the US economy is still not doing well, but not because it's POS knock-off.

How could this POS knock-off manage to win some comparison against the Prius?
B/C Honda & BMW aka C&D picked it b/c it's more sporty which is akin to saying rabies is better than swine flu. Look Honda half assed this effort, it looks like an old Prius, has an awful interior and its not even a full hybrid!! They had all that time to really make a Prius beater and what we got was a hybrid with a higher drag than their own Civic Hybrid and less MPG than the OLD Prius.

As SLegacy99 stated its missing sales goals by a whopping 33% (not 3%, 33%) and for once, people are not fooled by the badge and the marketing "oh its the hybrid for everyone".

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aJxE1OYJywWk

Gas prices are going up so we can't blame that. When I went to drive the Prius/Insight all Priuses were sold in 24 hours and Insights are sitting on the lots. Why is gas prices/economy not hurting the Prius? B/C people WANT it and see it as the much superior vehicle.

I am happy that the Insight is offered, its great to have another fuel efficient vehicle but its a POS considering its a new 2010 model. If Ford or GM produced it, it would be bashed to pieces.

Old 06-26-09, 08:31 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Honda can win me over by bring back a hybrid with a manual transmission, something that I don't think Toyota will ever do.
Old 06-26-09, 10:29 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

interesting news.

Yaris Hybrid hatchback works for me
Old 06-26-09, 02:32 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogers2
Honestly!! Nice strategy but this is downright greedy. We don't need another small car from Toyota. How many small cars do they plan to make until they make a small sport's car. We get it, you don't want be under price by Honda.
I’m curious how do a person even decide which small car to purchase when they go into a Toyota dealership.

Being the only company offering enough small cars (not even Honda has enough), is not greedy. It's smart and it has them positioned to cope with roller coaster gas prices. Remember to that the US gets the least amount of Toyota's smaller offerings. Europe, Japan, ect. get many other models. I'm glad though that they decided to bring the iQ over which is the smallest Toyota ever.

And as far as deciding which model to get? There is nothing in Toyota's car lineup that overlaps. Their small models including Scion are, Yaris sedan/LB, Corolla, Matrix, xD, xB, Prius (mid-size technically) are each very different cars accomplishing different needs.
Old 06-26-09, 02:38 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Honda can win me over by bring back a hybrid with a manual transmission, something that I don't think Toyota will ever do.
I don't think anyone will ever build a manual hybrid. Reason being is because part of a hybrids sophistication is its auto/CVT transmission that works directly in how the engine operates it's gas/electric setup. Throwing a stick in would force a complete overhaul of hybrid technology.
Old 06-26-09, 08:55 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A car as small as a Yaris is better off as a mild hybrid or a full electric vehicle. An HSD Yaris needs to have its parts further reduced in weight. Part of the weight reduction will be from smaller components (since the Yaris doesn't need that much power to get it moving). The question is, will people 'pooh pooh' it because a Prius can get similar or better mileage? Or will people say it's too expensive (even if it gets better mpg). Which direction will Toyota take?
Old 06-29-09, 06:16 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
B/C Honda & BMW aka C&D picked it b/c it's more sporty which is akin to saying rabies is better than swine flu. Look Honda half assed this effort, it looks like an old Prius, has an awful interior and its not even a full hybrid!! They had all that time to really make a Prius beater and what we got was a hybrid with a higher drag than their own Civic Hybrid and less MPG than the OLD Prius.

As SLegacy99 stated its missing sales goals by a whopping 33% (not 3%, 33%) and for once, people are not fooled by the badge and the marketing "oh its the hybrid for everyone".

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aJxE1OYJywWk

Gas prices are going up so we can't blame that. When I went to drive the Prius/Insight all Priuses were sold in 24 hours and Insights are sitting on the lots. Why is gas prices/economy not hurting the Prius? B/C people WANT it and see it as the much superior vehicle.

I am happy that the Insight is offered, its great to have another fuel efficient vehicle but its a POS considering its a new 2010 model. If Ford or GM produced it, it would be bashed to pieces.
We know you are not a fan of Acura/Honda. But a win is a win. Does not matter if they pick because of better handling or built quality or better gas mileage. You can't take that win away. Are there legimating win? Like it's win if it's better mileage or better built or better overall car. You don't have to agree with it, but a win is a win.

Believe it or not some people does prefer some fun in driving a hybrid. So people are willing to give up those extra mpg for a better driving experience.

If the Prius is not hurt by fuel price and economy, why the 30% drop in sale.

Like I said I also would prefer the Prius over the Insight. But the Insight is a great alternative to the Prius.
Old 06-29-09, 08:59 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Throwing a stick in would force a complete overhaul of hybrid technology.

There have already been hybrids with manual transmissions.
Old 06-29-09, 10:27 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!

Being the only company offering enough small cars (not even Honda has enough), is not greedy. It's smart and it has them positioned to cope with roller coaster gas prices. Remember to that the US gets the least amount of Toyota's smaller offerings. Europe, Japan, ect. get many other models. I'm glad though that they decided to bring the iQ over which is the smallest Toyota ever.

And as far as deciding which model to get? There is nothing in Toyota's car lineup that overlaps. Their small models including Scion are, Yaris sedan/LB, Corolla, Matrix, xD, xB, Prius (mid-size technically) are each very different cars accomplishing different needs.
You can be greedy and smart at the same time. If you don't think some of those cars don't overlap then your living in la la land. When I see any of those cars you mention above I think mpg/eco box. Most of time I hope they just move out of the fast lane.
Old 06-29-09, 10:43 AM
LexFather

We know you are not a fan of Acura/Honda. But a win is a win. Does not matter if they pick because of better handling or built quality or better gas mileage. You can't take that win away. Are there legimating win? Like it's win if it's better mileage or better built or better overall car. You don't have to agree with it, but a win is a win.

Believe it or not some people does prefer some fun in driving a hybrid. So people are willing to give up those extra mpg for a better driving experience.

If the Prius is not hurt by fuel price and economy, why the 30% drop in sale.

Like I said I also would prefer the Prius over the Insight. But the Insight is a great alternative to the Prius.
And we know you love Acura/Honda and their lackluster, ugly products so don't try to call me out. I know about "fun" hybrids, look at the signature. Now thats fun. I have yet to read anyone with any common sense saying they bought the Insight b/c "its more fun". What I am seeing is they bought it b/c "its cheaper". Clarkson didn't call it fun at all, u called it a POS.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle6294116.ece

Even though its cheaper, its selling 33% BELOW expectations. I personally think Honda makes the best small cars and have for sometimes (of course you think I hate the brand) and considering the fail of the first INsight and the TIME Honda had to make a segment leader I and many many others are completely disappointed in this NEW Insight that looks like the OLD Prius with worse MPG than the OLD Prius. Instead of making a class leading vehicle like the Accord for example (see I remember the time when Honda/acura used to debut a vehicle and it usually was near class leading) they try to sell something average and use a huge marketing campaign "the hybrid for everyone" full of b.s.

You are one of those blind Honda/Acura fans that can't call it for what it is an. A lackluster effort. The difference between you and me is I can and for any brand (for example I really think Lexus missed the boat on HS styling). As long as people like you buy and try to accept their ugly, slow, inefficient RESTING ON LAURELS lineup, they will continue to sell averageness that is pawned off as superiority

Last edited by LexFather; 06-29-09 at 10:51 AM.

Old 06-29-09, 11:29 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Unfortunately not everyone could afford a GS hybrid. If they are looking for an affordable fun to drive hybrid, there isn't much choice out there. Everyone definition of "fun" varies. Your "fun" definition is more extreme since you are an car enthusiast, but to the average buyer the Insight might be what they are looking for. Like most people do not car whether a car is FWD or RWD because a huge majority do not drive to an extreme where those two make a different.

Yes I do agree with you the Insight is not the best from Honda and they should have do a better job. But to some buyers it's good enough. I don't dismiss it because it's not what I expected. But to blame it's it's lack luster sale on the car itself just incorrect.
Old 06-29-09, 11:43 AM
LexFather

^ I will never imply you need tons of power to have fun. Quite frankly I had tons of fun in my 1989 Nissan Sentra with 155 series width tires The CR-Z should be fun but Honda is not selling this car as a fun car. You can do that in the Fit or maybe even more so in the Civic Hybrid.

Again, another fuel efficient vehicle is welcome but this car is a tremendous let down to me.

Old 06-29-09, 12:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
get over it already with manuals and hybrids.

a manual transmission makes no sense on a hybrid. the goal of max. efficiency can only be achieved by a computer controlling the trade-off of gas engine on/off/speed vs. electric engine on/off/speed and the continuously variable gear ratio.

Quick Reply: Yaris Hybrid