Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Yaris Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 12:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Again, another fuel efficient vehicle is welcome but this car is a tremendous let down to me.
by 'this car' do you mean a yaris-derived hybrid?

i guess i'm not seeing the point over a prius. maybe the looks of the prius limit it's market? or is it price? or size? (too big? )

i also don't see ANY point in making a tiny hybrid unless it's li-ion based.

they could call a nimh-based HSD yaris "the brick".
Old 06-29-09, 01:39 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ot: toyota/scion iQ only coming to N.A by 2011/12 WTF!
Old 06-29-09, 07:33 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogers2
You can be greedy and smart at the same time. If you don't think some of those cars don't overlap then your living in la la land. When I see any of those cars you mention above I think mpg/eco box. Most of time I hope they just move out of the fast lane.
You're blanketing a whole lineup of fuel efficient compact vehicles as one type of vehicle without distinction? All of the cars I mentioned (the whole Toyota lineup of sub-compact and compact cars + the Prius) each have completely different designs and body types and appeal to very different buyers.

Even the three versions of the Yaris are all very different vehicles. The sedan is bigger and shares no body panels with the liftback and also has a different interior.

The Corolla is the next class up and the Matrix is a wagon version that shares very little with the sedan.

The xD and xB are completely unique vehicles from anything else on the market and only share drivetrains/platforms from other Toyota's.

The Prius, needless to say, doesn't overlap with anything in the world.

May I ask what you think makes these cars the same and overlapping?

And oh, is 115 mph too slow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt7xsPSkCDQ (forward to 3:30)

2007 Yaris doing 115 mph with 304,000 miles on it. (he now has over 340,000 miles)

Old 06-29-09, 08:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
by 'this car' do you mean a yaris-derived hybrid?

i guess i'm not seeing the point over a prius. maybe the looks of the prius limit it's market? or is it price? or size? (too big? )

i also don't see ANY point in making a tiny hybrid unless it's li-ion based.

they could call a nimh-based HSD yaris "the brick".
bit the Insight is what I was reffering to but I believe I also said a hybrid Yaris makes little sense to me. I just don't think people want or even understand the tech at that price point. They want economy but don't want it to be complicated.

I think Honda and Toyota is wrong here. It seems to me eco-green people are well educated and have money to spend. Thus the Prius price is worth it. The HS might be right up their alley. They don't want bare bones economy cars.

I think the 20-30k hybrid is a sweet spot. Toyota seems to sell Camry hybrids pretty briskly at this point too.

Old 06-30-09, 03:30 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

bit the Insight is what I was reffering to but I believe I also said a hybrid Yaris makes little sense to me. I just don't think people want or even understand the tech at that price point. They want economy but don't want it to be complicated.

I think Honda and Toyota is wrong here. It seems to me eco-green people are well educated and have money to spend. Thus the Prius price is worth it. The HS might be right up their alley. They don't want bare bones economy cars.

I think the 20-30k hybrid is a sweet spot. Toyota seems to sell Camry hybrids pretty briskly at this point too.
I tend to agree here. I love my car and wouldn't have wanted it to be a hybrid because I know it would have had to cost thousands more. And in a car that can already get over 40 mpg, you'd have to drive for many years before realizing any savings. And let's face it, the Yaris price point is all about LOW COST transportation.

The average price premium, let's say, is about $10K for a Prius over a Yaris (granted the Prius is a bigger and more well appointed car). Nevertheless, that $10 grand buys you 3,773 gallons of fuel at today's price of $2.65. You will be able to travel 143,396 miles in a Yaris with a typical average of 38 mpg.
Old 07-18-09, 06:57 AM
LexFather

From a Dutch site
http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=

Old 07-18-09, 07:01 AM
LexFather

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/full_hybrid...ilt_in_britain

We’re breaking big news today with the official announcement from Toyota that it will build a full hybrid version of the Auris hatchback in the UK with production starting next year.

This ground-breaking car, featuring Toyota’s Hybrid Synergy Drive Technology, will be built at the Burnaston factory. Engines will be supplied by the Deeside facility in North Wales.

The full hybrid Auris will feature Hybrid Synergy Drive Technology

The full hybrid Auris will feature Hybrid Synergy Drive Technology

More details will be revealed at the Frankfurt motor show in September, but we can confirm that production of the new model will kick off in the middle of 2010, with sales launched before the end of the year. Rest assured we will be keeping you up-to-date with all the key developments in the project, as soon as we hear about them.

This is Toyota’s first full hybrid to be built in Europe, and the first hybrid to be built in the UK. This exciting declaration underlines Toyota’s commitment to expanding the range of low-emissions hybrid vehicles, and to car production in Britain.

Tadashi Arashima, President and CEO of Toyota Motor Europe, said: “Toyota has taken a significant step forward in ensuring that full hybrids become more accessible to a wider range of customers. Such efforts are crucial if we are to see more low-carbon vehicles on European Roads.

“Our decision to produce a full hybrid in the UK reflects both our confidence in the quality and commitment of the TMUK workforce and the strength of our long-standing partnership with the UK Government. Today’s announcement is positive for Toyota, our UK suppliers and the local communities here,” he said.

Friday’s announcement also coincides with a visit to Burnaston by Lord Mandelson, the Government’s Business Secretary. Lord Mandelson welcomed this “forward-looking investment in Britain from a world class manufacturer”. He added: “As part of our low carbon industrial strategy we set out to make Britain the best place in the world to develop low carbon vehicles. These commitments, backed by the formidable skills of the UK automotive workers, enable companies like Toyota to invest with confidence in low carbon car production in the UK. It demonstrates that the UK’s car industry is already making the low carbon transition.”

Auris has been built by Toyota Motor Manufacturing UK (TMUK) at Burnaston since 2007. The factory, Toyota’s first car plant in Europe, opened in 1992 and has produced more than 2.5 million vehicles, including Carina E, Corolla and Avensis, for sale in Europe and export to other markets worldwide. Today TMUK employs more than 4,000 workers and has benefited from investment totalling more than £1.85 billion.

Old 07-18-09, 11:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,587 Posts

holy shmoz, batman.

Old 07-29-09, 08:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Report: Toyota denies reports of Yaris Hybrid

Posted: July 29, 2009
Report: Toyota denies reports of Yaris Hybrid

Japanese media reported yesterday that Toyota is working on a hybrid version of the Yaris that will add a more cost competitive hybrid than the Prius to its lineup. Reports said that Toyota will build the Yaris based hybrid in France within two years.

According to AutoCar, Toyota says that it has no plans to build a Yaris hybrid.

“Toyota has no plans at present to build a Yaris hybrid in France or anywhere else,” a source told AutoCar. “The hybrid system we have works well in the bigger cars like the Lexus as it helps to cut CO2 emissions and improve fuel economy next to its competitors.”
Source
Old 08-12-09, 03:55 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are XRS wheels.

Could a Matrix Hybrid not be far behind?
Old 08-12-09, 06:05 PM
LexFather

So should we close this? Thanks Andrew.

Old 08-12-09, 06:56 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

1. It seems sketchy that Toyota would build a hybrid in France. So I can see that not being real.
2. It seems weird that Toyota wouldn't be building a hybrid to trump Honda's small hybrids.

They need an inexpensive Scion hybrid already for the youth!
Old 08-12-09, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
10,091 Priui were sold in May. So almost 5X the amount of Insights.

Part of that is the enormous publicity the Prius has gotten for several years, and the fact that it is hyped by environmentalists, professors, and Hollywood/entertainment celebrities. It is well-established in the marketplace. People are buying Priuses without even looking at the Honda competition (both the Insight and Civic Hybrid).

However, I'm not trying to say that the Insight is necessarily any better than the Prius. I recently reviewed both cars, and was not really impressed with either one. The Prius had a more advanced, efficient drivetrain, but otherwise was a disappointment this year, with lighter, thinner, more flimsy-feeling sheet metal and interior hardware than last year. The Insight's powertrain was somewhat jerky and unrefined, and its back seat and roofline was too cramped, but its interior hardware and sheet metal were more solid-feeling than the Prius. It also, IMO, handled a little more better than the Prius. But, in fact, I was not terribly impressed with either one.

We'll see how well the Yaris Hybrid turns out, if Toyota decides to go through with it. The conventional Yaris is rather stark inside, and has those annoying center-stack gauges, but is an extremely well-built small car. I was impressed with its sheet metal and hardware.
Old 08-13-09, 05:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Part of that is the enormous publicity the Prius has gotten for several years, and the fact that it is hyped by environmentalists, professors, and Hollywood/entertainment celebrities. It is well-established in the marketplace. People are buying Priuses without even looking at the Honda competition (both the Insight and Civic Hybrid).

However, I'm not trying to say that the Insight is necessarily any better than the Prius. I recently reviewed both cars, and was not really impressed with either one. The Prius had a more advanced, efficient drivetrain, but otherwise was a disappointment this year, with lighter, thinner, more flimsy-feeling sheet metal and interior hardware than last year. The Insight's powertrain was somewhat jerky and unrefined, and its back seat and roofline was too cramped, but its interior hardware and sheet metal were more solid-feeling than the Prius. It also, IMO, handled a little more better than the Prius. But, in fact, I was not terribly impressed with either one.

We'll see how well the Yaris Hybrid turns out, if Toyota decides to go through with it. The conventional Yaris is rather stark inside, and has those annoying center-stack gauges, but is an extremely well-built small car. I was impressed with its sheet metal and hardware.
Mostly it is about Prius being much better car as seen by 95% of public and reviewers.
Thats why Prius sold 20k in June and Insight is still at 2k. Previous Prius had really crappy interior, you can just go to prius chat to see what people who owned Gen2 Prius for 3-4 years think about new one (one of big improvements is much better and more upscale interior).

In Europe, Toyota probably plans to offer hybrid for most of their cars - Auris is first and more will follow. You americans (hehe) need to realize that Yaris has 4 different engine options , Corolla has 5 different engines and Avensis has 6 different engines in Europe for you to chose from. Hence it is not far fetched that they will be adding hybrid option to all of the core models in Europe eventually (core models are: Yaris, Auris, Avensis, Verso, Rav4).

They all will be "assembled" in Europe (all but Rav4 are produced in Europe) with battery packs shipped from Japan to European factories. It gives Europeans something to cheer about ("we produce hybrids!") as well as giving customers no custom fees (which are big in europe).
Old 08-15-09, 12:46 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Actually, from the horse's mouth, the number of cross-shopping done has increased with the 2010 probably because there are more hybrids on the market and thus more options.

Quick Reply: Yaris Hybrid