Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Keyed G35

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-09, 09:49 PM
sphy1005
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
On the forum I got it they think maybe insurance fraud. If you look at the rear lettering the spacing is way off, it must have had bodywork done.(
How does previous bodywork and insurance fraud go together?

I agree though looks like insurance fraud. If not someone must've been pretty bold to key that much unless it was a group of people. Maybe he wore a fur coat and PITA saw him
Old 06-26-09, 12:18 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I had a friend who was a bit of a player and dumped this girl. She went psycho and did pretty much the same amount of damage to his acura. He filed with the insurance and the entire car had to be repainted

Last edited by I8ABMR; 06-26-09 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-26-09, 12:41 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're joking, I assume.

Light surface scratches can sometimes be buffed out, or rubbed out with a nice light-abrasive scratch remover like SCRATCH-OUT (a product I highly recommend, but not with something like this). This is WAY too deep for simple buffing. When you see a white line like that with each scratch, that shows it went not only down through the clearcoat layers but the colored-paint layers as well.....all the way down to the primer and anti-corrosion layer. Even harsher-abrasive polishing and rubbing compunds won't work, and if they did, they would leave deep swirl marks around the scratches. The only real answer to something like this is a professional repaint
LOL, I could have not been more sarcastic. On the serious side ,I agree a total repaint is the only answer.
Old 06-26-09, 01:02 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I have seem worse, a keyed S500, turned out to be an insurance fraud, the owner(client of mine) took his sweet time to key his car just for a brand new paint job.

Last edited by blacksc400; 06-26-09 at 02:32 AM.
Old 06-26-09, 01:24 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Someone did a very thorough job of keying that car.
Old 06-26-09, 02:34 AM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

That's focked up, and seems like someone used a knife or something on it... haha, ex- girlfriend!!
Old 06-26-09, 05:08 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good point, Mike. I agree that is a definite possibility.....I forgot to mention that above in the list of possible causes.

But it still gets back to my earlier point, above.....why a dozen scratches on each panel when only one would have the same effect, and force a repaint?

Maybe the guy was trying to have the car totalled and collect on it...but even an early-model G35 from 2002 or so would probably need more than just a repaint to be totalled....especially if it was a low-priced paint job at Maaco or Earl Scheib.
Seriously--if you subscribe to the caught cheating theory, do you think the ex-gf really is thinking that rationally? "Oh, all I need to do is put one scratch on each panel?"
Old 06-26-09, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Seriously--if you subscribe to the caught cheating theory, do you think the ex-gf really is thinking that rationally? "Oh, all I need to do is put one scratch on each panel?"
I mentioned, in one of my previous posts, that, in a fit of passion, people don't always act and think rationally. If they did, the prisons would be a lot less populated than they are now.
Old 06-26-09, 07:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Look at his paint condition, its really bad, I wouldnt even fix it if I was him
Old 06-26-09, 07:17 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

It's obvious most have never been a victim of domestic violence. Whether physical or emotional. My 'EX' had totalled 2 of my cars, punched a windshield out on another. Then while driving in the city, he started hitting me, I tried throwing him out the door in the middle of traffic and he bent my door all the way open.
So I totally agree with you...people don't alway act and think rational.
And yes, he did spend ALOT of time in jail. HA, if he could have had a license and drove, I might have done the same thing! We just never know the 'other' side. So we can't judge by a picture.
We can't theorize anything, whether it be cheating, fraud, anything. So let's just keep it as...Damn, that's messed up.

I mentioned, in one of my previous posts, that, in a fit of passion, people don't always act and think rationally. If they did, the prisons would be a lot less populated than they are now.
Old 06-26-09, 09:07 AM
nmpeter
Pole Position

They might have made the car look better haha.

I smell insurance money?
Old 06-26-09, 10:27 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Damn, the key marks added to the damage that was already there from what I could see. Water spot etching, mild-heavy oxidation, rock chips
Old 06-26-09, 08:07 PM
duncan73
Driver

Default Bad repaint.

Could this be a white car that received a bad repaint in black? The Infiniti logo was definitely replaced, as pointed out earlier. If you look around the edges of the lenses, gas door and adjacent to the G 3 logo these areas appear white. Appears to be a left handed male due to the placement of the roof scratches toward the middle of the roof, in terms of height and reach. Also, this took time to do as the strokes were deliberate. It was not done in a hurry on the street. Most likely in a garage that provided privacy. A savvy insurance adjuster would see through this facade in a second.
Old 06-26-09, 08:40 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by duncan73
Could this be a white car that received a bad repaint in black? The Infiniti logo was definitely replaced, as pointed out earlier. If you look around the edges of the lenses, gas door and adjacent to the G 3 logo these areas appear white. Appears to be a left handed male due to the placement of the roof scratches toward the middle of the roof, in terms of height and reach. Also, this took time to do as the strokes were deliberate. It was not done in a hurry on the street. Most likely in a garage that provided privacy. A savvy insurance adjuster would see through this facade in a second.

Do you work for CSI:NY ?
Old 06-27-09, 02:25 AM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

HAHAHA everyone has such colorful imaginations

Quick Reply: Keyed G35