Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How much can a good set of coilovers improve handling/steering?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-09, 06:40 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much can a good set of coilovers improve handling/steering?

As some people on this board know I have been in the market for a sports sedan. After some issues regarding trade-in value of my S5, I am opting to just keep the car. Still, the lightness in the steering and ride height is almost unbearable. I have lowered my car before (IS 350 with Eibachs) but didn't really feel much of a improved handling, just a lowered height and slightly more stiff. How much would a good set of coilovers improve the stiffness of the ride and steering? Currently I am look at Stasis coilovers which uses Ohlin dampers and springs. Would this be a much better improvement than just adding springs?
Old 06-25-09, 06:48 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
As some people on this board know I have been in the market for a sports sedan. After some issues regarding trade-in value of my S5, I am opting to just keep the car. Still, the lightness in the steering and ride height is almost unbearable. I have lowered my car before (IS 350 with Eibachs) but didn't really feel much of a improved handling, just a lowered height and slightly more stiff. How much would a good set of coilovers improve the stiffness of the ride and steering? Currently I am look at Stasis coilovers which uses Ohlin dampers and springs. Would this be a much better improvement than just adding springs?
Coil overs allow you to easily change the springs & the springs are cheaper to get the precise spring rate you want. Ohlin dampers are as good as anything available. Huge improvement over springs alone. The steering complaint you have I am not sure about
Old 06-25-09, 10:53 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

send it to stassis
http://www.stasisengineering.com/sigSeries_s5.php
Old 06-25-09, 11:11 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Regarding your previous IS350, the eibach springs were pretty soft to begin with. If you didn't upgrade your shocks, your damping probably didn't match the springs so that didn't help either. If you go with quality coilovers where the damper and springs were made for one another, you may feel more of a difference through the turns. You can't do much about the light steering though, at least not without modifying the power steering system.
Old 06-25-09, 11:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if you get a good set of coilovers, improve in handling can be quite noticeable. my gs400 was a good example. stock it handles like crap, period. when i got my tein HA, it's noticeably stiffer, but the handling improved a lot

are there any aftermarket sways for the s5? if there is one, get that instead, that helps even more
Old 06-26-09, 12:12 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

the sway bar route is your best et. It will reduce roll and make the steering feel noticably more direct. A good set of coilovers would be the next best step. In conjunction I think you will have a winner
Old 06-26-09, 05:29 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

original intent of coilovers was that since you can adjust the height, therefore you can shift weight to and away from each corner of the car. Thus you can try to get as close to 25% of the cars weight on each tire as you can to make the car more balanced.
Old 06-26-09, 06:23 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
original intent of coilovers was that since you can adjust the height, therefore you can shift weight to and away from each corner of the car. Thus you can try to get as close to 25% of the cars weight on each tire as you can to make the car more balanced.
Kind of, but you can only shift the weight diagonally, not fore and aft.

NINEZero, you should search out some companies that specialize in Audi's and the S5/A5 -- and perhaps look for info on boards like vwvortex.com and the audi forums. What you can accomplish depends upon what's adjustable on the factory setup and what's available aftermarket for the S5. If you simply lower a car, add heavier sway bars, wider wheels/tires, etc., and don't dial the car in, it likely won't be anywhere close to optimized. You really need someone who knows what they're doing if you want to make it perform like a well set up factory car.

Modern Audi's have electro-mechanical steering (electric power assist, not hydraulic). On some models you can use VAG-COM and reprogram the steering boost, etc. and dramatically alter the steering feel of the car. This is the case on some A3's for example ranging back at least as far as 2006 models. I've driven them before and after and can attest that there is a wide range of adjustment. I don't know what's possible with the S5, but it's worth investigating.
Here's a little something on the system but some searching will reveal a lot more I'm sure, along with info on whether or not it can be reprogrammed with VAG-COM:
http://www.cartype.com/pages/4003/au...nic_innovation

If you haven't already done so, check out this forum and someone may have already done the leg work:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=956

Last edited by I6turbo; 06-26-09 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-26-09, 07:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
ohlins will transform your s5.
Old 06-27-09, 06:56 AM
mondo540
Driver

Off topic but I've seen some of your posts in the F forum...what are you getting on a trade number for the s5 if you don't mind sharing...those cars seem to have held their values very well for some time now but maybe supply and demand/economy is finally catching up...
Old 06-27-09, 10:18 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good coilovers/lowering spring = it feels nice, better than the stock setup.

Sway bars = WOW, it drives like a different car now!
Old 06-27-09, 11:45 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Good coilovers/lowering spring = it feels nice, better than the stock setup.

Sway bars = WOW, it drives like a different car now!
I agree, and all sacrifice ride quality to some degree to achieve improved handling. But in being true to OP's question that's somewhat offtopic.
Old 06-27-09, 07:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mondo540
Off topic but I've seen some of your posts in the F forum...what are you getting on a trade number for the s5 if you don't mind sharing...those cars seem to have held their values very well for some time now but maybe supply and demand/economy is finally catching up...
read his first post here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...to-carmax.html
Old 06-27-09, 07:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

if you want performance coilovers go with KW. They will turn your audi in to a track monster. I went the soft route and went with a "comfort" set up that can produce mild to moderatley improved handling
Old 07-05-09, 12:34 PM
LexFather

Can u explain the handling difference between the 2 cars after a couple weeks. Thanks

Quick Reply: How much can a good set of coilovers improve handling/steering?