Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just picked up a C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 05:49 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Funny thing today. I just drove out of my house and onto a blvd and see a black S5 (like my old car) driving by. We stop at a stop light and a couple young girls across the street are hypnotized by the S5. haha, I guess I lose in that department, but for the S5 wasn't as beautiful as so many people make it out to be. Something just wasn't aggressive enough for me and the C63 wins in that department for me. The S5 in a way looked slightly like a woman's car. Although the RS5 will be perfect. S5 interior is what I'll miss the most. The MMI and interior quality is almost Aston Martin like.
I thought the S5 interior was nice, but I don't think it's quite Aston like. Actually, I like it better than the R8 interior, which looks/feels a bit plasticky.

Girls do love the S5 though. Oh well. I too will take driving thrills instead, thank you.
Old 06-29-09, 06:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Funny thing today. I just drove out of my house and onto a blvd and see a black S5 (like my old car) driving by. We stop at a stop light and a couple young girls across the street are hypnotized by the S5. haha, I guess I lose in that department, but for the S5 wasn't as beautiful as so many people make it out to be. Something just wasn't aggressive enough for me and the C63 wins in that department for me. The S5 in a way looked slightly like a woman's car. Although the RS5 will be perfect. S5 interior is what I'll miss the most. The MMI and interior quality is almost Aston Martin like.
yup, the s5 looks a bit girly to some extend. rs5 will fix that, which is what competes with m3 and c63 anyway
Old 06-29-09, 07:17 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats looks great!
Old 06-30-09, 05:08 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. The C63 is a BEAST...love the exhaust note
Old 06-30-09, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, the s5 looks a bit girly to some extend. rs5 will fix that, which is what competes with m3 and c63 anyway
Originally Posted by pvmike1
Girls do love the S5 though. Oh well. I too will take driving thrills instead, thank you.
What's "girly" about it ? Styling may be one thing (that's subjective), but I don't see how it is considered a non-masculine vehicle just because its 0-60 times can't equal the C63's..........the chief complaint that NINEZEro had.

Heck, for that matter, I see men regularly driving VW Beetle Convertibles.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-30-09 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-30-09, 06:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What's "girly" about it ? Styling may be one thing (that's subjective), but I don't see how it is considered a non-masculine vehicle just because its 0-60 times can't equal the C63's..........the chief complaint that NINEZEro had.

it's completely exterior styling i was talking about, nothing about performance. it's just like why a lot of people think the sc430 is a girly car
Old 06-30-09, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

it's completely exterior styling i was talking about, nothing about performance. it's just like why a lot of people think the sc430 is a girly car
"Girly" or not, the A5/S5, IMO, is a beautiful-looking car......except for the typical Audi too-large grille, one of the best-looking coupes on the market. It far out-trumps the SC430 in the styling department.

In fact, much of the SC430's top-up styling seems to have taken from Audi's own TT.
Old 06-30-09, 07:51 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I'm not saying the car is girly, just girl-friendly. To be honest, the car feels a little heavy/underpowered to me - even the previous gen M3 (E46) or C55/CLK55 feel faster and more nimble.

And those men you see driving VW Beetle Convertibles? Well, those guys have already lost their man cards due to prior offenses and are now house cats. Pity them when you see them.

Old 06-30-09, 08:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I'm not saying the car is girly, just girl-friendly. To be honest, the car feels a little heavy/underpowered to me - even the previous gen M3 (E46) or C55/CLK55 feel faster and more nimble.

And those men you see driving VW Beetle Convertibles? Well, those guys have already lost their man cards due to prior offenses and are now house cats. Pity them when you see them.

WAY too underpowered to be exact.

and i never said the s5 isn't beautiful. in fact we were very close to getting one if not the silly performance numbers for the price

ah sorry to get this OT. regardless, now the c63 is no doubt a BEAST
Old 06-30-09, 11:47 PM
M5Guy
Driver School Candidate

I skipped the tire and wheel protection for $600 when I picked up my M5. Then I hit a manhole cover that had no concrete around it. Blew out my tire and rim (M5 has no spare and no runflats, so it got flatbedded out of there). $2,000 later I'm all set ($1,000 for a new front tire and wheel, $200 for an alignment and $800 for tire and wheel protection with cosmetic damage protection as well). Now if I curb a wheel they fix it and if I hit a pothole and blow out a wheel or tire, they fix it.

Of course that will not happen now that I have the insurance.

My advice is to get the tire and wheel protection
Skip the lojack and dent/ding removal....

Can you elaborate why you wanted to get rid of the S5? I think it is a stunning car - but very different from your C63....
Old 07-01-09, 06:34 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

WAY too underpowered to be exact.

and i never said the s5 isn't beautiful. in fact we were very close to getting one if not the silly performance numbers for the price
I dont see how a 350 hp car that does 0-60 in 4.5 sec can be underpower. The S5 is the best looking coupe in the market right now, the MB C63 is a dime a dozen.
Old 07-04-09, 06:04 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by M5Guy
I skipped the tire and wheel protection for $600 when I picked up my M5. Then I hit a manhole cover that had no concrete around it. Blew out my tire and rim (M5 has no spare and no runflats, so it got flatbedded out of there). $2,000 later I'm all set ($1,000 for a new front tire and wheel, $200 for an alignment and $800 for tire and wheel protection with cosmetic damage protection as well). Now if I curb a wheel they fix it and if I hit a pothole and blow out a wheel or tire, they fix it.

Of course that will not happen now that I have the insurance.

My advice is to get the tire and wheel protection
Skip the lojack and dent/ding removal....

Can you elaborate why you wanted to get rid of the S5? I think it is a stunning car - but very different from your C63....

Who is your tire & wheel insurance through? Is it BMW? Mine is through an independent company and I'm not sure how the process is if I do get a wheel / tire damage. If the process is cumbersome I might just cancel it.
Old 07-04-09, 06:19 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
I dont see how a 350 hp car that does 0-60 in 4.5 sec can be underpower. The S5 is the best looking coupe in the market right now, the MB C63 is a dime a dozen.

I don't think the S5 can do 0-60 in 4.5, the best time I've seen was 4.8 seconds. 4.5 is near IS-F, e92 M3, C63, RS4 territory. Besides I think 0-100 mph is a better comparison with these vehicles and the S5 is clearly much slower than those vehicles. The S5 takes around 12.5 seconds to 100 mph while IS-F, M3, and C63 can all do it in or less than 10 seconds, a huge difference. The RS4 is slightly slower than those cars at about 11 and change.
Old 07-04-09, 06:49 PM
jhill20
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that car is bad. nuff said. well done with the black also.
Old 07-04-09, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think the S5 can do 0-60 in 4.5, the best time I've seen was 4.8 seconds. 4.5 is near IS-F, e92 M3, C63, RS4 territory. Besides I think 0-100 mph is a better comparison with these vehicles and the S5 is clearly much slower than those vehicles. The S5 takes around 12.5 seconds to 100 mph while IS-F, M3, and C63 can all do it in or less than 10 seconds, a huge difference. The RS4 is slightly slower than those cars at about 11 and change.
While you may have had your reasons, I still don't see how anybody can be unsatisfied with the S5's 12.5 seconds to 100 MPH, especially since there are few if any places in the U.S. where you can legally drive that speed on a public road anyway.

A Ferrari Enzo, McLaren F1, or Bugatti Veyron can beat even your new C63, but does that you should trade your C63 for one next year if you again decide it isn't fast enough for you?

Quick Reply: Just picked up a C63 AMG