Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

what a joke: Jaguar ranked highest in vehicle dependability

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-09, 12:08 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default what a joke: Jaguar ranked highest in vehicle dependability

Jaguar has only 3 models... XJ XF XK, XJ really looks out of place compare to newer models. Jaguar really needs to add to there lineup.
Old 06-28-09, 01:46 AM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jaguar really fell off..............
Old 06-28-09, 03:46 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jaguar has considerably increased their initial quality dependability over the past few years. I do not know of long-term reliability, but as far as initial quality goes, Jaguar has made huge gains.

Addressing the other issue,

I personally think that a small Jaguar lineup is a good idea.

a GT car, a sports sedan, and a flagship.

they haven't tried to muck around with a SUV and a crossover and a sports GT-over, and aren't trying to shoe-in into markets they're unfamiliar with by introducing something along the lines of the 3/C/IS, and can focus on having three cars that are built well, drive well, and look great.

Sure they could use more models in their lineup, but the XJ redesign is going to be revealed soon, and from the teasers, it does look fantastic.
Old 06-28-09, 08:48 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Initial Vehicle Dependability is different than long-term dependability.

Jags are very good in a sense that they are still relatively hand-built. So, the quality shines off the showroom floor. And with low sale volumes, the attention to showroom detail is more pronounced than high volume makes.

But after miles of wear and tear, the engineering flaws will show.

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
Jaguar really needs to add to there lineup.
I wouldn't.

Why? Jaguar has a niche. They are a low-volume company. If they even attempt to compete by providing cars/SUVs in an extremely competitive market, they will lose lots of money with R&D alone. Jaguar should be providing touring-saloons, not plumping up like the next GM or Hyundai.

I am actually concerned about how homogeneous Jaguar is becoming. It's blending some Japanese design and German performance influences. I mean, the XJ is "British" (you can't deny it's a Jag), and the XF is not quite so (looks a bit Lexus-ish). The XK still has a distinctive British style (because it has many design cues from Aston Martin).

I have described Jaguar like Robin Hood. The Robin Hood story (like Jaguar) is classically British. But when the character is played by an American actor (think Kevin Costner), who loses the British charm and wit and suave, it just becomes a joke.

Don't let Jag lose the British appeal. Keep it what it is...

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 06-28-09 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-28-09, 09:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
what a joke: Jaguar ranked highest in vehicle dependability ...
Which study/survey is that ? Links ?
Old 06-28-09, 08:33 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Which study/survey is that ? Links ?
http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...spx?id=2009043
ofcourse
Old 06-28-09, 08:40 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

only reason I want a bigger lineup is b/c there cars are looking much better now... wait a minute found this...
Old 06-28-09, 08:42 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Default Jaguar's 911 Fighting XE Details Surface

We have some new details about the mysterious Jaguar XE we first told you about last year. The car will be set to take on the Porsche 911, and will be based on Jaguar's flexible architecture.

This is the same skeleton which will support the XF, XK, and all-new XJ. The latter gets its own debut in Frankfurt later this year.

Here's what we know, courtesy of MotorTrend: The Jaguar XE should be a larger version of the XF, and could be the successor to the long-cancelled Jaguar F-Type project. But don't expect an identical match to the F-Type. Since that concept's debut, pedestrian safety standards have been implemented that would make a straight replica illegal for the streets. Instead, look for a design that hints to Jaguar's past, while still being lower to the ground than the Jag XJ.

In an interview with Autocar, Ratan Tata, chairman of Jaguar parent Tata Motors, said, "We need to emerge with something shiny and new, which is why we are re-prioritizing the roadster right now." He also points out that innovation and development will be the only way Jaguar can survive the recession.

A few different engine choices are being tossed around, including the 385 hp naturally aspirated 5.0-liter AJ-V8. With a supercharger mounted, that car gets up to 510hp, more than enough power to bring a 0-60mph time around 4.0 seconds. Also being kicked about is the 3.0-liter V6 diesel, tuned to 272 hp and 442 ft-lb of torque. With that engine, Jaguar would be seeking a best of both world's scenario, delivering 35 mpg and a 0-60mph time of under six seconds.

Look for the Jaguar XE to come in around $80- to $90,000, and becoming direct competition to the Aston Martin V8 Vantage, and the Porsche 911. The new jaguar XE should honor the 50th birthday of the Jag E-Type with an introduction at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show.
Source: motortrend
Attached Thumbnails what a joke: Jaguar ranked highest in vehicle dependability-jaguar-xe-rendering-cropped.jpg  
Old 06-28-09, 08:45 PM
LexFather

Actually Jaguar has climbed slowly but surely the past 10 years in not just quality but in dealer service. Also what hurt them was the complete POS X-type. It was a reliability nightmare and hurt them badly. In later years they fixed the bugs and now they don't make that POS anymore for here.

I love Jags new direction and I would love an XKR.

Old 06-28-09, 08:47 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Jags are looking good ... I dunno if they're #1 in dependability, but given my Rover experience, I certainly wouldn't be worried about buying a Jag.
Old 06-29-09, 12:17 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Actually Jaguar has climbed slowly but surely the past 10 years in not just quality but in dealer service. Also what hurt them was the complete POS X-type. It was a reliability nightmare and hurt them badly. In later years they fixed the bugs and now they don't make that POS anymore for here.

I love Jags new direction and I would love an XKR.
I'll see if I can sneak a picture of my neighbor's x type where the interior panel is peeling
Old 06-29-09, 12:24 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Much as I love Lexus, as a company we run a couple of S Types and an X Type and all of them have had less warranty claims than both my Lexus. The later XJs seem particularly bullet-proof and a good second hand buy.
Old 06-29-09, 11:03 AM
duboseq
Pole Position

Originally Posted by whoster
Jaguar has considerably increased their initial quality dependability over the past few years. I do not know of long-term reliability, but as far as initial quality goes, Jaguar has made huge gains.

Addressing the other issue,

I personally think that a small Jaguar lineup is a good idea.

a GT car, a sports sedan, and a flagship.

they haven't tried to muck around with a SUV and a crossover and a sports GT-over, and aren't trying to shoe-in into markets they're unfamiliar with by introducing something along the lines of the 3/C/IS, and can focus on having three cars that are built well, drive well, and look great.

Sure they could use more models in their lineup, but the XJ redesign is going to be revealed soon, and from the teasers, it does look fantastic.

Totally agree with everything you said. And with the designer from Aston Martin at the drawing the reidesigned XJ and new XF are a hit !

My wife has a SC'ed XF and that car is a great bange for the buck compared to CLS 550 and BMW offerings.
Old 06-29-09, 05:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

They still have signs of struggling. They are using the same motors from previou generations, and have no real bells and whistles to compete with the like of Mercedes or BMW.
Old 06-29-09, 09:03 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
They still have signs of struggling. They are using the same motors from previou generations, and have no real bells and whistles to compete with the like of Mercedes or BMW.
due to lack of selection IMO... i do think the new lineup is Strong...

Quick Reply: what a joke: Jaguar ranked highest in vehicle dependability