Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Aston Martin working on Toyota iQ-based minicar

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09 | 05:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

you guys have to realize that Aston Martin is on the edge financially. They need to do anything they can do to keep the doors open
Old 06-29-09 | 06:01 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Hey ... all this means is more money for toyota motor corp

(assuming they are paying toyota royalties to use the IQ ...)
Old 06-29-09 | 06:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

more money for Aston Martin as well. Toyota has tons of cash. I just want to mae sure that Aston MArtin doest go under. This will help
Old 06-29-09 | 06:40 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
more money for Aston Martin as well. Toyota has tons of cash. I just want to mae sure that Aston MArtin doest go under. This will help
Well... toyota is loosing billions apperantly .. so they need to stop the bleeding. And im with you on that one, I hope AM stays afloat
Old 06-30-09 | 01:55 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

here's another article regarding the aston martin cygnet/Toyota iQ:

Aston Martin making a Toyota-based micro car
By Justin Couture

Aston Martin has just released the first photo of its upcoming concept car, and it must be said, it’s unlike anything the brand has ever made before. It’s called the Cygnet, and it’s a Smart-sized vehicle based on the Toyota iQ.

The Cygnet features all the usual Aston Martin styling cues, but they’ve all been condensed and re-proportioned to fit on the Toyota’s pint-sized frame including the famous wing-shaped grille, hood vents and fender vents. Amazingly, the headlamps are unchanged from the stock Toyota units. The car is expected to feature the iQ’s 1.33-litre inline-four engine which develops 96 horsepower and 90 lb.-ft. of torque. A stock Toyota iQ with this engine takes a bit less than 14 seconds to hit 100 km/h from still.

Inside, the car will feature an upscale interior to match the prestige of the Aston Martin brand. Although the iQ’s dashboard, door panels will be the same, these items will be trimmed and upholstered with the same leather and materials used on its sports cars. The standard iQ interior is pictured to the left.

Aston’s decision to partner with Toyota on the project is a bit of a surprise given the brand’s formal ties with Mercedes-Benz. Last year, Aston Martin revealed the Lagonda Concept, which was based on the Mercedes-Benz GL-Class. It’s a bit of a surprise that Aston didn’t base its commuter car on the Smart fortwo.

Ulrich Bez, the brand’s chairman says, “Much work is still required, but I am confident that this project could become a reality in the not too distant future. This concept - akin to a luxury tender yacht - will allow us to apply Aston Martin design language, craftsmanship and brand values to a completely new segment.”

With production volumes rumoured to be between 1,000 and 2,000 units per year, the Cygnet would play an important role in reducing the company’s average carbon dioxide fleet emissions.

According to Autocar magazine, Aston Martin is hoping to have the car in production by the end of next year; finished iQs would arrive from Japan, and would be retrofitted with the new exterior and interior at the brand’s flexible production facility in Gaydon, England.

At first, it will initially be offered to existing Aston Martin customers and those waiting to receive their vehicles to retain exclusivity. It will then be offered to the general public. Prices are expected to start at around £20,000 (approximately $38,150). By comparison the iQ ranges from £9,495 to £11,495 ($15,700 - $21,930).

Personally, I can’t help but wonder if James Bond would approve ...

link: http://blogs.carpoint.ca/2009/06/ast...micro-car.html
Attached Thumbnails Aston Martin working on Toyota iQ-based minicar-cygnet1.jpg   Aston Martin working on Toyota iQ-based minicar-cygnet2.jpg   Aston Martin working on Toyota iQ-based minicar-cygnet3.jpg  
Old 06-30-09 | 02:29 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

1) I understand the need to reduce the carbon footprint of the brand and in that regard, I appreciate this effort.

2) I also want AM to stay a float. They are my favorite luxury brand and if I ever get to a point of affording one, it will be my dream.

3) I wish they would not open it to the general public, even with the ridiculous price. Limit its numbers by limiting its exclusivity and the car will still tuen heads when you see it. Having it in showrooms will not. I see no problem with driving this to work and pulling the DBS out on the weekends. That sounds cool, but pretending I have a DBS for the weekends...not so much.
Old 06-30-09 | 03:16 PM
LexFather

"Yeah I got a brand new Aston Martin"
Old 06-30-09 | 04:03 PM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
you guys have to realize that Aston Martin is on the edge financially. They need to do anything they can do to keep the doors open
well if they ever need to sell a DBS for $100k, my check book is ready

oh wow, it was just a dream
Old 06-30-09 | 08:02 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
well if they ever need to sell a DBS for $100k, my check book is ready

oh wow, it was just a dream
Hmm... how long does it take for a US$270K Aston Martin DBS to depreciate to about $100K ?
Old 06-30-09 | 09:51 PM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Hmm... how long does it take for a US$270K Aston Martin DBS to depreciate to about $100K ?
too bad it doesn't tank like an AMG
Old 07-01-09 | 12:12 AM
ren495
Pole Position

why doesn't toyota make a car like that? LF-A will be better than anything Aston has made except the one 77. Heck, with 220 mph it might even outperform the Aston. so why give Aston this business?

I think it's a decent idea. Right now if you want a small city car, you have to drive some tin can with an interior that looks like it was made for little kids. I'm sure lots of people would buy a luxury version of such a car with a great interior and nice styling
Old 07-02-09 | 06:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...in_cygnet.html
Old 07-02-09 | 06:34 AM
Koma
CL Folding 25,000

Actually not that horrible looking.