Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Equus flagship Thread (5.0 V8 400+hp and LWB coming)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-09, 10:36 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love how the interior has very similar parts to other luxury car makers. Mercedes seat adjusters on the doors, something similar to BMW idrive, infiniti's analog clock, etc. Hyundai in general just takes bits and pieces from other luxury makes and sticks it in their designs. At first glance, i still think the genesis looks like a benz from the front Overall, i like the look of the exterior though. The rear could use some work. The interior is nice looking as well. Would i buy it? Nope.

Last edited by Hypnotik; 08-09-09 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-09-09, 04:33 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

While visiting Korea last month, I spotted a lot of Hyundai Equuses on the road..
Personally, this car appeals to me a lot, and it must be for a lot of other Koreans on the road as well considering the number of them on the road in Seoul.
Old 08-10-09, 09:50 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Missing the point...

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
people used to say its crazy to think that people would pay 45-50k for a fancy toyota ( lexus ). Look at them today. Its foolish to down play Hyudai attempt at a luxury and sport line...
20 years later and you're still missing the point and harping at a wrong notion. Toyota knew that NO ONE was going to pay $40K+ for a "Toyota" and that's why they derived the name "Lexus" to focus away that it was a Toyota.

Although there was the ES250 that was basically the almost twin sister of the Camry, you were not driving a $40K vehicle, that was in the same family as a $12K vehicle.

Hyundai is only have above marginal success with the Genesis because it's Camry/Accord priced (loaded) so it's basically in the range of the "family sedan" price but the Genesis offers so much more for the money. If they come out with this and price it accordingly with the exchange rate at say $60K, they will get killed.

For all of those that think/say this would be successful... simple question, if you have $60K to blow, would you spend it on a Tier 1 (Lexus, MB, BMW) luxury vehicle, or this Hyundai and get your vehicle serviced in the same dealership as a $15K Elantra?

When you get to a certain price point (i.e. $50K+) you're not paying just for a car, you're paying for a name, prestige, heritage, etc... the Hyundai has none of them.
Old 08-10-09, 10:01 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
20 years later and you're still missing the point and harping at a wrong notion. Toyota knew that NO ONE was going to pay $40K+ for a "Toyota" and that's why they derived the name "Lexus" to focus away that it was a Toyota.

Although there was the ES250 that was basically the almost twin sister of the Camry, you were not driving a $40K vehicle, that was in the same family as a $12K vehicle.

Hyundai is only have above marginal success with the Genesis because it's Camry/Accord priced (loaded) so it's basically in the range of the "family sedan" price but the Genesis offers so much more for the money. If they come out with this and price it accordingly with the exchange rate at say $60K, they will get killed.

For all of those that think/say this would be successful... simple question, if you have $60K to blow, would you spend it on a Tier 1 (Lexus, MB, BMW) luxury vehicle, or this Hyundai and get your vehicle serviced in the same dealership as a $15K Elantra?

When you get to a certain price point (i.e. $50K+) you're not paying just for a car, you're paying for a name, prestige, heritage, etc... the Hyundai has none of them.
You may be right but remember people used to say they won't be paying $30K for a Hyundai like 3 yrs ago? Now that Genesis is marginally successful people are accepting a $40K hyundai. I agree they're stretching things a bit with a $60K pricetag but CEO stated Equus isn't about volume but rather it's to change the perception of Hyundai and so far it worked. If they kept selling only elantras and sonatas they'll never get ahead. They're doing some things right and I think they know what they're doing.
Old 08-10-09, 10:36 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KA8
You may be right but remember people used to say they won't be paying $30K for a Hyundai like 3 yrs ago? Now that Genesis is marginally successful people are accepting a $40K hyundai. I agree they're stretching things a bit with a $60K pricetag but CEO stated Equus isn't about volume but rather it's to change the perception of Hyundai and so far it worked. If they kept selling only elantras and sonatas they'll never get ahead. They're doing some things right and I think they know what they're doing.
Hyundai is changing the perceptions of not just their brand but other brands. If I recall VW is the only non luxury brand to enter this D-class flagship segment. The Phaeton was a tremendous vehicle but as we know people simply don't want expensive VWs let alone a very expensive one. Sadly resale has plummeted and it hasn't changed any VW perception here with the general public, only those in the know.

Hyundai seems to have better marketing and people seem more open to Hyundai moving upmarket for whatever reasons in comparison to VW. They also seem to be completely focused and not selling half assed luxury cars. They came with the correct RWD and optional V-8 that garners respect from luxury buyers and the public in general.

They have stated this car is not about volume but they will bring it to see how it does. I can only appluad this effort.

Funny everyone copies, not sure why its this huge issue when Hyundai does it.

Old 08-10-09, 11:16 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Peek-A-Boo

I see you Hyundai

I see where Hyundai is trying to do and I see both sides from the debates in this thread but dayum Hyundai really went on a cherry picking shoplifting spree! Based on the finish product you can tell clearly its Lexus who they are admiring, (coping) and their customers thier trying to nab. That said I do respect them and agree with an earlier post that Audi, BMW & Benz copy too and don't get called out for it.
Old 08-10-09, 12:24 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Lexus often get called out for copying because each has a respective and relatively distinctive design language to begin with.

For example, while the shapes of some Mercedes headlights and tail lights may look more Asian lately, the car still has the overall elegance and presence of a Mercedes. Adopting minor cues here and there, and working them into the family tree is part of the evolution of the automobile. The Hoffmeister kink is now seen on almost everything, as is the high trunk lid that debuted on the previous 7. Originally the first few companies to emulate these from BMW were regarded as proposterous copy cats...now those cues are virtually commonplace. Everyone pouted and screamed when LED headlights showed up on something other than an Audi- now Mercedes has them and so do Land Rover, Range Rover, and some others. LED lighting is, IMO, the next fad and it will hardly be associated with only Audi in 2 years.

My point is that there's a difference between what companies like BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Lexus do, and what Hyundai has done with the Equus. Despite the adoption of some minor cues in the midst of trends, a Lexus still looks like a Lexus, a BMW like a BMW, an Audi like an Audi, and a Mercedes like a Mercedes. Things like Hoffmeister kinks, high trunk lids, and LED lights help to shape their evolution, but they don't define them. This Equus is defined by absolutely nothing other than all of the cues that it has emulated from other companies, and because of that, it's a knock off.

Maybe the next time around Hyundai will try to create something original and unique because until they do they're going to be laughed at and scorned for ripping off other companies. The same philosophy also goes for the Genesis.
Old 08-10-09, 12:37 PM
Essence
Driver School Candidate

Maybe a car like this will encourage Infiniti to come up with an S-Class competitor. But the problem is that Infiniti has to do it right while Hyundai is not under that pressure. Like someone said If the Genesis was made by BMW it would have gotten not so great reviews.
Old 08-10-09, 12:47 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Essence
Maybe a car like this will encourage Infiniti to come up with an S-Class competitor. But the problem is that Infiniti has to do it right while Hyundai is not under that pressure. Like someone said If the Genesis was made by BMW it would have gotten not so great reviews.
Infiniti's problem is not so much building a successor to the Q, but rather building enough brand image and substance to support such a product. The G has easily been the most successful Infiniti in the last ten years. This generation M has really shown some value and been a strong seller and performer throughout it's life. The new FX seems to have fallen flat and the EX is obviously a failure. Right now, there is too big/inconsistent of a gap between the $35-45K G37 and a $65K+ product like the Q.

Infiniti needs to revamp the EX, fix the front of the FX, and probably see the success of the new M before considering a top-tier product like a new Q. I think they're on the right path and even if Hyundai beats them to the bunch, Infiniti has to do what is right for their brand. Hyundai has said that sales volume won't be important to them with the Equus- Infiniti does not have that luxury. If they reinvent the Q it has to be a success.
Old 08-10-09, 01:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Infiniti's problem is not so much building a successor to the Q, but rather building enough brand image and substance to support such a product. The G has easily been the most successful Infiniti in the last ten years. This generation M has really shown some value and been a strong seller and performer throughout it's life. The new FX seems to have fallen flat and the EX is obviously a failure. Right now, there is too big/inconsistent of a gap between the $35-45K G37 and a $65K+ product like the Q.

Infiniti needs to revamp the EX, fix the front of the FX, and probably see the success of the new M before considering a top-tier product like a new Q. I think they're on the right path and even if Hyundai beats them to the bunch, Infiniti has to do what is right for their brand. Hyundai has said that sales volume won't be important to them with the Equus- Infiniti does not have that luxury. If they reinvent the Q it has to be a success.
You hit the nail on the head here.

Its clear the class is simply dominated by the 7/S/LS. Even as the A8 an XJ are superb vehicles, they sell/sold poorly.

The Q45 was a sales failure for what 18 years. They should never use that name again. There is no line of people waiting for its revival or even cares that its dead.

Its not about coming up with a competitor. Its about creating and coming up with a brand where people are more than willing to part 60/70/80/90/100k plus on a car and feel good about it.

It starts from the TOP DOWN, not the bottom up. The Infiniti revival was to start with the 2002 Q45. It started instead with the 2003 G35. This was a tremendous blow internally to the company. Today the revival is dead as their EX/FX have failed dismally and the QX will now be a Petrol instead of being Armada based. That leaves them the G (Skyline) car line and M (Fuga)car line. Sales will be in 1998 or lower levels. The GT-R is more expensive and its a Nissan, more confusion. I think Infiniti will do continue to be a nice small niche brand for people that don't want the usual BMW/Benz/Lexus and/or don't want to spend the extra thousands on them.

Now Hyundai is building a car superior to anything they will have and have ever offered. Its quite amazing on Hyundai's part and a big slap in the face to brands that don't offer such a car. Its safe to say ten years ago we could believe a Q45 would be here but a car from Hyundai? No way!

IMO the Equus is not here to challenge the LS/S/7 heavyweights even though it is a competitor to them. Its really a car to extend Hyundai's image and show what they have to offer at the top end.

If they hold the price to around 50k, that is simply A LOT of car for the money.

Old 08-11-09, 09:49 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default $50k???

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
... Now Hyundai is building a car superior to anything they will have and have ever offered. Its quite amazing on Hyundai's part and a big slap in the face to brands that don't offer such a car. Its safe to say ten years ago we could believe a Q45 would be here but a car from Hyundai? No way!

IMO the Equus is not here to challenge the LS/S/7 heavyweights even though it is a competitor to them. Its really a car to extend Hyundai's image and show what they have to offer at the top end.

If they hold the price to around 50k, that is simply A LOT of car for the money.
The Equus will not be $50K and if it were, then either it will be a shell of the car we see now, or the gov't should really look into "anti-dumping" rules against Hyundai and fine them big time.

I can see how selling the Equus will in the long term possibly raise the public perception of Hyundai and eventually command a higher price for their lower models too, but I just don't see the reluctance to just come with a separate nameplate and sell the Genesis and Equus under that name. Have auto manufacturer's been that dumb for 100 years?
Old 08-11-09, 10:23 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I actually saw an Equus driving on the street a few weeks ago in Anaheim. It had dealer plates. As I was approaching it from behind, it looked good but I had a really hard time figuring out what it was.

It's a pretty nice car and is elegant and luxurious in person. Of course the average car buyer will not pony up $50-$70K for an unproven car with a Korean badge. There are much too many choices in this category and Hyundai has not earned the reputation...yet.

I think it's great that Hyundai recognizes they can and will compete head to head with Toyota on all markets. Competition is good for everyone and car companies will make better cars to win your hard earned money.

If I were a Toyota executive, I would be very concerned with Hyundai.
Old 08-11-09, 10:31 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

It's been a long way since the Koreans started making cars. It's good to see that with the Equus, this trend is continuing.

I dunno if it is just me but I'm excited for the upcoming 5.0 liter LWB model
Old 08-11-09, 11:03 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
It's been a long way since the Koreans started making cars. It's good to see that with the Equus, this trend is continuing.

I dunno if it is just me but I'm excited for the upcoming 5.0 liter LWB model
I can never get excited over a Hyundai
Old 08-11-09, 11:11 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
I can never get excited over a Hyundai
I see. Well different strokes for different folks.

Though I have to say, the way I see it, I've been seeing Korean cars in my country for more than a decade. Starting out with cheap**** boxes on wheels like the Kia Pride, Hyundai Atoz/Atos, earlier gen Accent, etc.

Then after a decade, wow, they have been improving real fast. Interestingly though, the first time that I've ever liked a Korean car was when Hyundai Philippines debuted the Veracruz Diesel in a local motor show (back in 2007).

Damn, that's the first time that I've ever 'liked' and thus become 'drawn' to a Korean automobile. I was amazed at the clean exterior design of the vehicle along with the gadgets, features and upscalish interior. It did not feel like those cheap**** boxes on wheels that I associate with Korean cars back in the decade......but rather it felt that in this vehicle, I'm seeing the stuff that is in European, American and high-end Japanese vehicles.

Then after which came the Genesis sedan and most especially Genesis Coupe and bam, my opinion of Korean automobiles has changed.

Thus IMHO, I believe that the cars that they make are now world-class.

Two cents

Quick Reply: Hyundai Equus flagship Thread (5.0 V8 400+hp and LWB coming)