Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Equus flagship Thread (5.0 V8 400+hp and LWB coming)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-09, 03:45 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Unfortunately you have to pay to play and $200 oil changes is part of the equation.
That whole "pay to play" attitude is exactly why our economy is like it is now and what played a big role in the financial meltdown and housing and credit going bust last year. People living way beyond their means just because they are able to pay off something, over spent, and never bothered saving for the future and it hit the fan and people could no longer afford to live their lavish lifestyle they could never realistically afford. People who were upper, middle, to lower class did the same thing and it all caught up with them because of that silly slogan attitude of having to "pay to play". You don't need to spend $60K plus to have a nice car nor do you need to spend $200+ on a oil change for that car or any car. There is nothing wrong with refusing to be ripped off and finding the best deal and doing without some nicer things.
Old 10-03-09, 06:19 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
That whole "pay to play" attitude is exactly why our economy is like it is now and what played a big role in the financial meltdown and housing and credit going bust last year. People living way beyond their means just because they are able to pay off something, over spent, and never bothered saving for the future and it hit the fan and people could no longer afford to live their lavish lifestyle they could never realistically afford. People who were upper, middle, to lower class did the same thing and it all caught up with them because of that silly slogan attitude of having to "pay to play". You don't need to spend $60K plus to have a nice car nor do you need to spend $200+ on a oil change for that car or any car. There is nothing wrong with refusing to be ripped off and finding the best deal and doing without some nicer things.
Oh brother. You bought a Lexus... if you wanted $20 oil changes you would've bought a Kia and had your oil changes done at Mr. Lube.
Old 10-03-09, 06:41 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Made right... priced wrong...

BMW and Mercedes are among some of the most unreliable brands you can buy, they certainly did not build a reputation for reliable vehicles, they have built up the badge that many people will overpay on by a long history of offering numerous drivers or luxury cars that clicked with the public.
I know that... that's why I had written "reliability and/or well engineered" of which BMW and MB do not qualify much for the first part.

Most BMW and Mercedes don't sell anywhere near the 60K-80K price range and most people these days who buy them are not well off or have "made it". They are mostly middle and upper middle class who are buying them for the brand and "image" and often can't realistically afford them.
None of the "high-end" vehicles sell in volume, it's the more "affordable" vehicles like ES, IS, 3 series, C class that sell the bulk. This just proves more I think that the "brand" is being bought more than the car. Every 3 driver drives one to "own a BMW" than really that it's the best choice per say.

Most full size or large SUVs cost 45K or over and they are the "family vehicle" of many of the middle class. Most of these SUVs are not from luxury makes yet are still well over 40K being sold as "family vehicles". Many middle class buyers seem to feel it is okay to pay over 40K for a SUV where they would never pay that much for a nice sedan or coupe for some reason.
Yes, SUV/CUV owners are a strange bunch and really hard to factor into the whole vehicle sales numbers. For true people hauling and vacation cruising, IMHO there is nothing better than a minivan. Only thing is the stigma of being a "soccor mom/dad" image with minivans. I think it's the whole psychological aspect that you're getting this HUGE SUV for $50K, instead of a small sedan for $50k. Makes it "worth more."

If Hyundai decides to spend billions and have a upscale dealership/brand to satisfy the snob factor and move more Genesis and Equus then the price of those vehicles are going to skyrocket and they still won't have the image to sell them at the higher prices.
But then if you don't sell the vehicles in the volumes necessary to sustain it then what is the use? Toyota knew they had to do it, they priced the initial vehicles very agressively, then built up their reputation and started raising prices. Do it right, don't do it cheap.

With all this said, I would very quick and really not think twice about buying a Sonata over a Camry or Accord, because they're really in the same "class," level, and brand. I'd have to think really really hard on buying a "wanna be" luxury Genesis/Equus over a GS/LS.
Old 10-03-09, 08:22 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh brother. You bought a Lexus... if you wanted $20 oil changes you would've bought a Kia and had your oil changes done at Mr. Lube.
$200 for a simple oil change on any car is ridiculous. For my Mercedes the most I've ever paid is $80.
Old 10-03-09, 08:55 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

man all this talk about OIL CHANGE!!! Give it a break! You drive POS pay 20 bucks for super cheap oil and super cheap filter... With Lexus you get Syn Oil (hopefully you guys get the Syn) $6.99 a pop x 6 or 7 = 50 bucks... + Filter 5-10 bucks= 60 bucks plus they also do some other checks... plus vacuum and wash.. 200 bucks, deal with it! or drive a Hyundai..

at least when I pay $200+ a Benz dealer, I get free Loaner, not at Lexus...
Old 10-03-09, 09:04 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Never said I wanted to pay $20 for oil changes nor do I pay $20 for oil changes. Paying $60-$75 for a synthetic oil change is reasonable, paying $200-$250 for an oil change overpaying and is a waste of money, you are being completely ripped off. I may have a Lexus but that still does not mean I am okay with overpaying a ton for parts/labor and willing to pay anywhere near 200-250 for an oil change, I don't care how nice the waiting room is. I will do it myself if it costs anywhere near that much.
Old 10-03-09, 10:39 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
man all this talk about OIL CHANGE!!! Give it a break! You drive POS pay 20 bucks for super cheap oil and super cheap filter... With Lexus you get Syn Oil (hopefully you guys get the Syn) $6.99 a pop x 6 or 7 = 50 bucks... + Filter 5-10 bucks= 60 bucks plus they also do some other checks... plus vacuum and wash.. 200 bucks, deal with it! or drive a Hyundai..

at least when I pay $200+ a Benz dealer, I get free Loaner, not at Lexus...
I got no loaner at benz dealer when I had an MB but I got a free lexus loaner when I took my 18 yr old SC to have brakes flushed for $165. If you buy your own oil you can do oil change for $100 tops or at a indy shop. When you pay $200+ all your paying for is you expensive coffee at the lounge and a car wash.
Old 10-03-09, 11:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I guess my concern with this car is selling to customers who just payed 60k for a car and them have to sit in the waiting room with the owner who is at the bottom of the average car range. Its the same reason Vettes dont sell better.
Old 10-04-09, 09:06 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I guess my concern with this car is selling to customers who just payed 60k for a car and them have to sit in the waiting room with the owner who is at the bottom of the average car range. Its the same reason Vettes dont sell better.
This is surely a legitmate concern of theirs.

Old 10-04-09, 09:14 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

hyundai knows they won't sell much of Equus. It's for the show. it's their 'halo' car. it's their way to improve their perception. they are crazy if they think they can sell more than 300 equus a month. 'luxury' buyers might be turned off by sitting next to sonata buyers, but those sonata buyers feel better when they just bought a car from a company who produces 5.0 v8 60k luxury car.
Old 10-04-09, 09:16 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i'm betting more than 50% of equus buyers will be koreans from cali.
Old 10-04-09, 02:45 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Never said I wanted to pay $20 for oil changes nor do I pay $20 for oil changes. Paying $60-$75 for a synthetic oil change is reasonable, paying $200-$250 for an oil change overpaying and is a waste of money, you are being completely ripped off. I may have a Lexus but that still does not mean I am okay with overpaying a ton for parts/labor and willing to pay anywhere near 200-250 for an oil change, I don't care how nice the waiting room is. I will do it myself if it costs anywhere near that much.
A simple oil change costs me just shy of $100 at the dealership with Lexus' Eneos full synthetic... a full inspection is about $280. Come to think of it, next time you should try asking for JUST an oil change and have them quote you a price on that.
Old 10-05-09, 06:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Oh brother, so you guys are too good to sit in a waiting room with Toyota owners now
Old 10-05-09, 07:13 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by The G Man
Oh brother, so you guys are too good to sit in a waiting room with Toyota owners now
That's completely besides the point. Hyundai is going to try and sell a $50,000+ automobile alongside sub-teen priced econoboxes such as the Accent and the Elantra on the showroom floor. I highly doubt that the executive in his suit is going to be delighted to have to share the same shopping space as a lower-middle-class shopper. There's a reason why Versace and Luis Vuitton aren't sold at Wal-Mart; the shopping space simply cannot cater to the higher and lower ends of society.
Old 10-05-09, 07:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Yes. .j/k. I dont want to sit next to the 17 year old stoner with a tongue ring while he texts his girl friend to pick up some weed . Its why we pay more for our cars. Its not just build quality. Its service quality,etc. I guess you might want to stick with Toyota

Quick Reply: Hyundai Equus flagship Thread (5.0 V8 400+hp and LWB coming)