Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Equus flagship Thread (5.0 V8 400+hp and LWB coming)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 09:36 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
in other words, it sucks...
post like this is getting old.
Old 06-29-09, 10:12 PM
TCM55
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, this looks like a great vehicle, can't wait to see it in person. The Genesis sedan, as well as coupe, have impressed me and I would have no problem buying either. Acura seriously needs to learn some lessons from Hyundai.

I also hope that Lexus takes this as an opportunity to improve an already great product.
Old 06-30-09, 01:59 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
post like this is getting old.
hey I posted pictures why "I" think it sucks...

the LS600 looks pretty original to me compare to the Equus..
Attached Thumbnails Hyundai Equus flagship Thread (5.0 V8 400+hp and LWB coming)-2009-lexus-ls-600h-l-pebble-beach-edition-interior.jpg  
Old 06-30-09, 03:58 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much as I've been impressed with Hyundai as a car company, I feel the Equus is too much, too soon. They need to be more established in their entry level luxury line up. The Genesis is a good start. Introduce a 2nd generation Genesis, then a model between it and the Equus. maybe in 5 to 7 years, the US might be ready for the Equus. Learn to walk before you run. I would hate to see the Equus introduced to the US market, then fail.
Old 06-30-09, 06:52 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Learn to walk before you run. I would hate to see the Equus introduced to the US market, then fail.

That is the big risk isn't it? I guess that's why they're testing the waters with the original 100 this summer. But still, it's a potentially bigger gamble than the Genesis.

Whether it sells or not the interesting thing for me will be how well engineered and built the car is. If nothing else it could prove that Hyundai is capable of building a car on this level.
Old 06-30-09, 08:13 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hyundai already sells this car in it's domestic market. They are betting that it may sell small # in U.S. & world markets. They will continue to make this car for their domestic market if doesn't sell here. Hyundai & korean co. are very aggresive in all products that they sell. Heavy cargo ships,electronics,chip,flat screen,phones & now cars. I think the Equus will meet it's sale figures just like all of Hyundai's car have met their numbers. I am a little bit surprised they are bringing this car over here so fast.

Last edited by PAULGS430; 06-30-09 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-30-09, 09:45 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
this is going to fail like the Phaeton. Nobody wants a cheap premium car in this segment. its closest competitor is the avalon.
The Phaeton wasn't cheap. It's starting price was $65k, and had $10k worth of options that could easily be added.

I think Hyundai is pushing too far to go for a $60k car, but if they do it, I really think they need the max price to be $60k.
Old 06-30-09, 09:48 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I think those posts that say Hyundai is a copycat this and that is getting old. It wasn't directed at your specific post.

Many thought genesis would flop but it didn't, it did ok. Equus on the other hand is another big question mark. I didn't think genesis needed a luxury badge but with Equus I think they need to go with new luxury badge. They'd still do ok with hyundai name but they'd do better without it. The car itself appears to be superb. I wouldn't mind owning one but I wouldn't buy it new since I never spend over $30K on cars
Old 07-01-09, 06:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I dont know about you guys, but I am definitety not ready for a $60000 Hyundai yet. I dont think I am even ready for a $40000 Genesis
Old 07-01-09, 07:41 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is going to fail like the Phaeton. Nobody wants a cheap premium car in this segment. its closest competitor is the avalon.
the Phaeton didn't do well in terms of sales figure, but man I would love to own one.

If the Hyundai is going to be anything like the Phaeton in terms of engineering, that would be awesome.
Old 07-01-09, 07:51 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
the Phaeton didn't do well in terms of sales figure, but man I would love to own one.

If the Hyundai is going to be anything like the Phaeton in terms of engineering, that would be awesome.
They are available used ~5 years old with under 50k miles on them for ~20 grand with the V8 or maybe 25 grand with the W12.

I saw a W12 AWD Phaeton at the grocery store the other day. The other had left all the windows down in the parking lot. IIRC those cars had stickers of about 100 grand when new. It sure didn't look like a 100k dollar car, but for 25 grand it's a steal until you look at the potential for costly repairs.

It's just funny to think that VW sitting there had quite a bit in common with a Bentley Continental... chassis, engine, some electronics, etc... but 95% of the people out there wouldn't know it was anything any different/better than a Passat when looking at it casually from the outside.

Its large size and integrated exhaust are about the only external clues that it's not your normal VW.
Old 07-01-09, 08:18 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Threxx
They are available used ~5 years old with under 50k miles on them for ~20 grand with the V8 or maybe 25 grand with the W12.

I saw a W12 AWD Phaeton at the grocery store the other day. The other had left all the windows down in the parking lot. IIRC those cars had stickers of about 100 grand when new. It sure didn't look like a 100k dollar car, but for 25 grand it's a steal until you look at the potential for costly repairs.

It's just funny to think that VW sitting there had quite a bit in common with a Bentley Continental... chassis, engine, some electronics, etc... but 95% of the people out there wouldn't know it was anything any different/better than a Passat when looking at it casually from the outside.

Its large size and integrated exhaust are about the only external clues that it's not your normal VW.
Great post. For 25k, nothing is built like it. Amazing how cheap they are!

Old 07-01-09, 03:44 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uhh, the Phaeton was hardly "cheap" - the VW chairman considered it better than the A8.

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Toyota crown anybody? Looks like they got all their ideas off the toyota crown saloon and the crown majesta

Yeah, cuz the Equus looks like an oversized Camry w/ Infiniti headlamps - lol!

Frankly, the Equus' dash looks nicer.

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Introduce a 2nd generation Genesis, then a model between it and the Equus. maybe in 5 to 7 years, the US might be ready for the Equus. Learn to walk before you run. I would hate to see the Equus introduced to the US market, then fail.
This may very well be true under "normal" circumstances, but in this case it seems Hyundai is just looking to sell a few Equus and gauge whether/when Hyundai should launch a lux marque.

Originally Posted by tex2670
The Phaeton wasn't cheap. It's starting price was $65k, and had $10k worth of options that could easily be added.
A fully-loaded Phateon had an MSRP over $100k.
Old 07-01-09, 04:00 PM
LexFather

I love what Hyundai is doing but I'm not sure what is worse, the new Audi smug or the new Hyundai smug.....

Old 07-02-09, 11:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I actual like the Audi grill, I think the Mazda's smug is the worst
Attached Thumbnails Hyundai Equus flagship Thread (5.0 V8 400+hp and LWB coming)-2010-mazda3-sedan-front-angle-picture-588x399.jpg  

Quick Reply: Hyundai Equus flagship Thread (5.0 V8 400+hp and LWB coming)