Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Equus flagship Thread (5.0 V8 400+hp and LWB coming)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 11:46 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a new 3 behind me on the highway the other day and I could not help but stare at it in my rearview mirror. It looks like a happy Pokemon or something...
Old 07-02-09, 12:05 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I am sure Acura is glad that Mazda have taken some heat off them for their ugly grill.
Old 07-15-09, 06:26 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Default Hyundai Equus Will Come to U.S.

Hyundai CEO John Krafcik has confirmed the Equus will be sold in the United States. The flagship sedan is pictured here at the 2009 New York Auto Show in April.

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, California — Hyundai CEO John Krafcik confirmed for Inside Line last week that the Korean automaker has official plans to bring its Hyundai Equus flagship sedan to the United States as early as next year.

"It hinged on the Genesis," Krafcik told IL. "If the Genesis did well we could bring the Equus."

Launching a high-end luxury sedan in the middle of a recession might not seem like the best idea, but Hyundai is going in with modest expectations. Krafcik said, "Our goal with the Equus won't be volume. It's image. It's to show the world we can make the finest sedans in the world."

Following the launch of the automaker's home-market redesigned Hyundai Equus in mid-March, rumors of the Equus' arrival in the U.S. have heated up. IL originally quoted an unnamed Hyundai source during the 2009 New York Auto Show in April, as saying, "You didn't hear it from me.... But you wouldn't be far off if you said the car was coming to the United States. Our chairman wants it."

Previously, IL reported, the Detroit-based industry Web site wardsauto.com carried an interview in January with Hyundai Vice Chairman H.S. Lee, quoting him as saying, "Two years down the road, we are going to introduce this car to America."

As in the Hyundai Genesis, a 4.6-liter V8 coupled with a six-speed automatic is expected to power the large sedan.

Although Krafcik offered no hard pricing numbers, expect the Equus to arrive in 2010 priced between $48K and $58K.

Inside Line says: Hyundai's Phaeton? Possibly, but the recent success of the Genesis proves that today's luxury sedan buyers will take a chance on a non-luxury nameplate if the value is there. A small gamble that has a big upside if successful. — Kelly Toepke, News Editor
Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=152727#2
Old 07-15-09, 03:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
I actual like the Audi grill, I think the Mazda's smug is the worst
lol, that was funny!
Originally Posted by MPLexus301
There was a new 3 behind me on the highway the other day and I could not help but stare at it in my rearview mirror. It looks like a happy Pokemon or something...
lol again, this thread has win in it!

Originally Posted by Overclocker

Hyundai CEO John Krafcik has confirmed the Equus will be sold in the United States. The flagship sedan is pictured here at the 2009 New York Auto Show in April.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=152727#2
Hyundai>Acura. Period. End of Story

Old 07-15-09, 04:57 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hyundai>Acura. Period. End of Story
I think for right now Hyundai is on par w. Acura (only because Hyundai still has some crappy baggage they need to unload before they can be any kind of a decent 'luxury' manufacturer). Give it a few years for Hyundai to get all their stuff up to where a luxury manufactuerer should be and then yes they will be far better than Acura, especially since I don't see Acura getting their act together any time soon (they're under the impression what they're doing it good).
Old 07-15-09, 10:03 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
They are available used ~5 years old with under 50k miles on them for ~20 grand with the V8 or maybe 25 grand with the W12.

I saw a W12 AWD Phaeton at the grocery store the other day. The other had left all the windows down in the parking lot. IIRC those cars had stickers of about 100 grand when new. It sure didn't look like a 100k dollar car, but for 25 grand it's a steal until you look at the potential for costly repairs.

It's just funny to think that VW sitting there had quite a bit in common with a Bentley Continental... chassis, engine, some electronics, etc... but 95% of the people out there wouldn't know it was anything any different/better than a Passat when looking at it casually from the outside.

Its large size and integrated exhaust are about the only external clues that it's not your normal VW.
My dads coworker who is a big fan of VWs and Audi got a Phaeton with low miles used at a great price and was excited about at first. After less then 2 weeks of ownership it had so many issues and problems and was going to be so expensive to fix he had to give it right back.

It was funny listening how it panned out. First my dad told me a guy at his office got a Phaeton and my dad did not know what it was, I told him it is actually a very nice full sized German luxury car, similar to a A8 and was expensive new but can be had really low now but they are also VWs and know to be very problematic and it may not be such a great car to own even if you can get it cheap, then I hear he is having a bunch of issues with it a few days later, and then a week later he has to give it back because it has so many expensive problems and issues. I pretty much predicted what was going to happen but it happened so fast it was funny. The guy is no longer looking for anymore used Phaetons or VWs
Old 07-15-09, 10:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

re: mazda, i agree the new 3's front 'grin' is ridiculous. looks like something out of the movie cars.
Old 07-16-09, 07:43 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to Edmunds' preview of the Equus here:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
They're expecting it to start at 48k.

Earlier in the thread I was saying they needed to be able to say it started under 50 grand (with destination), so it sounds like they're on the right track IMO.

This also sounds like it might be a car MMarshall will really enjoy because they drove the car the majority of the time in sport mode. The guy mentions for the brief amount of time they had sport mode off it drove like a the floaty limo he was expecting it to drive like from the beginning.

48 grand for a car that sounds like it will compete very well with the LS460L. Wow. And then let's consider these cars may end up selling at invoice price, so let's say 45k... and then possibly financing deals in the future, as the Genesis has seen 0% for 60 month promotions in the past. So 45k @ 0% for 60 months for a car comparable to the LS460L. Incredible.

The only thing remaining to be seen here IMO is how they can adjust their dealer sales/service experience for the Genesis and Equus, and how their reliability turns out. I mean I know Hyundai has made big strides in reliability, but we're also talking about much simpler cars. As everyone here knows, the more parts there are to break and the more complicated those parts are, the more often they'll break, and the more they'll cost to fix. IMO in order for Hyundai to complete the package they need to prove that they have at least Toyota-like reliability and repair costs somewhere between Toyota and Lexus... preferably closer to the Toyota side of things, especially if they don't offer white glove service.
Old 07-16-09, 08:21 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I still have mixed feelings about a $60,000 Hyundai.
Old 07-16-09, 08:44 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
I still have mixed feelings about a $60,000 Hyundai.
See I try to break that habit and getting caught up on brands, just as many will say they will not pay $40k for a Lincoln. I say take the tag off it, and what it is worth, is what it is worth, I do not care if this or that brand impresses someone.

My wife is Korean and liked the idea of buying Hyundai, she bought a brand new Santa Fe in what, 2004-5, and by 2009 she said she will never own another. We had a ton of issues with it even before 50-60k miles.

So ok their quality is better now, newer car company it takes time and I understand that.

But even when her water pump went at 80k and they would not cover it, just tearing the car apart shows you get what you pay for.

Ok, maybe their better now and if you’re not keeping the car long you may not car, fair enough.

What is the real deal breaker is their dealer base, which in Michigan where you think they would go over the top to win people over, they are the absolute worse dealers I have EVER worked with. And even worse is working with corporate.

So noting that, my real issue is paying $60,000 for a car where people are talking about it competing with a Lexus yet the quality of service, support and dealers are 1/10th of what you would get with the other luxury car companies in the 60k range.

There are many over priced car companies out there just because of their tag and some really show that you get what you pay for on both ends of the spectrum, but as far as seriously considering a $60k Hyundai, not going to happen in this family.

The car looks greats, but at the end of the day $60k gets you a lot of real sick cars with great dealer bases, service and support.

Last edited by J.P.; 07-16-09 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-16-09, 09:10 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by J.P.
See I try to break that habit and getting caught up on brands, just as many will say they will not pay $40k for a Lincoln. I say take the tag off it, and what it is worth, is what it is worth, I do not care if this or that brand impresses someone.

My wife is Korean and liked the idea of buying Hyundai, she bought a brand new Santa Fe in what, 2004-5, and by 2009 she said she will never own another. We had a ton of issues with it even before 50-60k miles.

So ok their quality is better now, newer car company it takes time and I understand that.

But even when her water pump went at 80k and they would not cover it, just tearing the car apart shows you get what you pay for.

Ok, maybe their better now and if you’re not keeping the car long you may not car, fair enough.

What is the real deal breaker is their dealer base, which in Michigan where you think they would go over the top to win people over, they absolute worse dealers I have EVER worked with. And even worse is working with corporate.

So noting that, my real issue is paying $60,000 for a car where people are talking about it competing with a Lexus yet the quality of service, support and dealers are 1/10th of what you would get with the other luxury car companies in the 60k range.

There are many over priced car companies out there just because of their tag and some really show that you get what you pay for on both ends of the spectrum, but as far as seriously considering a $60k Hyundai, not going to happen in this family.

The car looks greats, but at the end of the day $60k gets you a lot of real sick cars with great dealer bases, service and support.

I agree. Hopefully Hyundai will up the dealer network to match owner expectation for such a car.
Old 07-16-09, 09:45 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I am happy the Equus is coming and it seems it will come at a very attractive price but the interior needs alot of work to truly compete in that class of large luxo barges. The center dash design looks downmarket, cheap, economy car like, and already looks very dated. It does not cut it in this segment. There is a bunch of ugly silver painted plastic all around the dash and it looks cheap and should not be in a car starting at 48K and competing with other flagships. The rest of the car is pretty good but I can't get over that center dash and big cheap silver plastic trim pieces, unfortunately it is blatant as soon as you sit in the car and may be the sole reason many just dismiss the entire car as a cheap imitation of a big luxury car as soon as the see pics of it or sit in it. The Sonota has a nicer more upmarket center dash design. I really do hope they change the center dash and plastic sliver bits before it hits the American market because that may be a reason the car does not get reviewed well and does well if it is immediately apparent it has a low rent interior with a ugly design.
Old 07-16-09, 09:58 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Equus>Genesis>Azera>XL whatever it was. Overlap much?
Old 07-16-09, 10:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i saw the equus (silver color) in person yesterday for the first time. all i can say is wow. i was walking in a plaza parking lot and saw it maybe about 3 car lengths away. the presence was RIGHT there, it looks very nice. it really tells you it's something "LS? S?" and then when look closely, then i realized it's the equus.

i didn't look at the interior, but i think the exterior looks very nice and elegant. by comparison it's a clear big step up from the genesis, just like the LS vs GS.

very very good job
Old 07-16-09, 11:04 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Equus>Genesis>Azera>XL whatever it was. Overlap much?
No overlap at all.

The Equus is an S/LS/7 competitor at a E/GS/5 price.
The Genesis is a E/GS/5 competitor at a C/ES/3 price (actually, less!)
Azera I'm less familiar with but I believe it's intended to compete with the Avalon at a price more like the Camry.

So in reality there's less overlap in their lineup than in others.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Equus flagship Thread (5.0 V8 400+hp and LWB coming)