Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Equus flagship Thread (5.0 V8 400+hp and LWB coming)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 11:16 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
No overlap at all.

The Equus is an S/LS/7 competitor at a E/GS/5 price.
The Genesis is a E/GS/5 competitor at a C/ES/3 price (actually, less!)
Azera I'm less familiar with but I believe it's intended to compete with the Avalon at a price more like the Camry.

So in reality there's less overlap in their lineup than in others.
I think you're correct about the Azera. I wonder if it will go away. I believe it sells only 300 per month or less in North America. It sounds like a decent car but hasn't found much of a market.
Old 07-16-09, 11:25 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all looks the same to me.
Old 07-16-09, 12:22 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The Hyundai dealer where I live is enough to drive any luxury car buyers away. The salesmans are pushy and un-polite. The showroom had their doors open because it was too hot in there. There waiting area is consist of 2 10 year couch and a 32" CRT TV. People on forums talk about what a great deal they are and how they have improve over the years, but how many of you would really buy one. Hyundai has a long way to go before luxury cars buyers will really consider them as a true luxury brand.
Old 07-16-09, 12:25 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Then maybe you should have said there's too much overlap in their styling. What you said indicated the models as a whole overlapped too much.

That said, I really don't agree with that statement either. Sure they share some similarities in the way they look, but no more than any other brand with common design themes.
Old 07-16-09, 12:38 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're expecting it to start at 48k.

48 grand for a car that sounds like it will compete very well with the LS460L. Wow. And then let's consider these cars may end up selling at invoice price, so let's say 45k... and then possibly financing deals in the future, as the Genesis has seen 0% for 60 month promotions in the past. So 45k @ 0% for 60 months for a car comparable to the LS460L. Incredible.
This is great news. I hope Hyundai does really well because that will put more pressure on Lexus to compete.

Personally I have some misgivings about the Equus though. Last time I priced a LS460, well equipped, it cost some $64K (MSRP around $73K). If the Equus comes too close to the low $60K range, then it will fail.
Old 07-16-09, 12:41 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by madoka
This is great news. I hope Hyundai does really well because that will put more pressure on Lexus to compete.

Personally I have some misgivings about the Equus though. Last time I priced a LS460, well equipped, it cost some $64K (MSRP around $73K). If the Equus comes too close to the low $60K range, then it will fail.
Not only that, but I would rather buy a 1 year old LS for $60K than a new 60 thousand dollar Hyundai.
Old 07-16-09, 12:46 PM
LexFather

I doubt many LS/S/7 series buyers jump to an Equus or BMW, Benz, Lexus drivers in general. I do see Lincoln, Acura, Volvo, Saab, and those other guys continuing to fight for the scraps on the table.

Though sales volume will be very very low for this car. Its still a huge slap in the face to supposed luxury brands who have NO ANSWER for this D class flagship.

We are talking about a HYUNDAI many luxury brands have NO ANSWER FOR.

Pass me the lol pie

Old 07-16-09, 12:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
yeah i also know people who think all bmw and mb and lexus look similar too

btw, the equus i saw yesterday, it's so quiet when it's running
Old 07-16-09, 12:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I doubt many LS/S/7 series buyers jump to an Equus or BMW, Benz, Lexus drivers in general. I do see Lincoln, Acura, Volvo, Saab, and those other guys continuing to fight for the scraps on the table.

Though sales volume will be very very low for this car. Its still a huge slap in the face to supposed luxury brands who have NO ANSWER for this D class flagship.

We are talking about a HYUNDAI many luxury brands have NO ANSWER FOR.

Pass me the lol pie
agree. i personally don't see myself getting this car (or hyundai) yet, but what they have done and their trend, i am giving them a lot of respect
Old 07-16-09, 12:52 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see people who buy in the LS/S/7 tier jumping down to this tier to save money or to fly under the badge radar when they don't want people questioning their finances. However I do think the majority of people will be those who were shopping a class below and see that they can get a car that's a class above for similar money to what they were shopping for.
Old 07-16-09, 12:52 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Hyundai is just doing what Lexus did years ago, a high quality car at a low price. Except Lexus did it right, they created a new luxury division and brand new dealership. Like my wife always say, if you are going to do something, dont do it half ares.
Old 07-16-09, 12:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
agree. i personally don't see myself getting this car (or hyundai) yet, but what they have done and their trend, i am giving them a lot of respect
Yup. I give Hyundai a lot of respect here and a lot of brands lost a lot of respect. I mean imagine buying a supposed luxury brand and Hyundai has a superior/truer luxury vehicle like the Genesis and now Equus. Its just embarrassing.

Old 07-16-09, 01:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I can see people who buy in the LS/S/7 tier jumping down to this tier to save money or to fly under the badge radar when they don't want people questioning their finances. However I do think the majority of people will be those who were shopping a class below and see that they can get a car that's a class above for similar money to what they were shopping for.
i agree with the 2nd part. probably a lot of E/5/GS owners will see that for about the same money they can get "that much" more. however for S/7/LS owners, i don't really think a lot would care.

there are 2 types of owners in that case. one is people where money isn't really much of an issue, and brand reputation, loyalty are what they follow with. the other group are brand poser where they just want the brand name. for those people, they wouldn't want to run a hyundai badge over their mb or bmw

Originally Posted by The G Man
Hyundai is just doing what Lexus did years ago, a high quality car at a low price. Except Lexus did it right, they created a new luxury division and brand new dealership. Like my wife always say, if you are going to do something, dont do it half ares.
i also noticed the same, but i think toyota (back in 1989) was also larger and more financially capable than the hyundai now. creating a new brand is no joke, it's a lot of commitment and tons of advertising / promotion / management, etc... from that point of view i am not sure if it would have been a good thing for hyundai to do.

of course, how do they proceed now, that's the question to ask. with the hyundai brand they will have some resistance regardless. but i think once their cars get more exposure and reputation, maybe then is the time

lexus brand just came out in japan a few yrs ago as well and started converting cars over (soarer to sc430 as a start)
Old 07-16-09, 01:09 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
of course, how do they proceed now, that's the question to ask. with the hyundai brand they will have some resistance regardless. but i think once their cars get more exposure and reputation, maybe then is the time

lexus brand just came out in japan a few yrs ago as well and started converting cars over (soarer to sc430 as a start)
The Hyundai name will always be associated with a ecomomy car. Thats the same reason Toyota dont make $60000 luxury sedans.
Old 07-16-09, 01:12 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
The Hyundai name will always be associated with a ecomomy car. Thats the same reason Toyota dont make $60000 luxury sedans.
One of the reasons for slow GS sales in Japan is the Toyota Crown has been around what 40 years and is a HUGE luxurious "name" in Japan. Loaded its 60k....

I totally agree that Hyundai will have that economy car cache to it but they are doing a great job making people forget they sell Accents!

Quick Reply: Hyundai Equus flagship Thread (5.0 V8 400+hp and LWB coming)