Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Equus flagship Thread (5.0 V8 400+hp and LWB coming)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 01:17 PM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a very very attractive looking car, nicer looking than most on the road in fact, heck the Genesis is better looking than most. Would I buy a Hyundai 'NO' I wouldn't for the reasons stated above 'The Dealerships' They're just not there yet, no where close, until then I'll just I'll just give a thumbs up to the cars from afar and hope the best for them and laugh at the likes of Acura.
Old 07-16-09, 01:19 PM
Milla...

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
One of the reasons for slow GS sales in Japan is the Toyota Crown has been around what 40 years and is a HUGE luxurious "name" in Japan. Loaded its 60k....

I totally agree that Hyundai will have that economy car cache to it but they are doing a great job making people forget they sell Accents!

Wow I didn't know that it comes complete with a full S-Class front clip.
Old 07-16-09, 01:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Milla...
Wow I didn't know that it comes complete with a full S-Class front clip.
lol, there are different facias for it...

http://toyota.jp/crownmajesta/index.html

Tons of pics below, they make a hybrid as well

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ighlight=crown

Old 07-16-09, 01:42 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will never buy a hyundai, not because of its name.

but because they jacked parts from the Benz and lexus parts bin.

they are not even ashamed to hide it.

The seat adjusters are straight from benz.

the rear exhaust tips are from lexus.

it really pisses me off. nothing in this car is original. not one piece. nada.

i'll give credit where it's due when hyundai can come up with ONE thing that is not found in other cars already.
Old 07-16-09, 01:47 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i agree with the 2nd part. probably a lot of E/5/GS owners will see that for about the same money they can get "that much" more. however for S/7/LS owners, i don't really think a lot would care.

there are 2 types of owners in that case. one is people where money isn't really much of an issue, and brand reputation, loyalty are what they follow with. the other group are brand poser where they just want the brand name. for those people, they wouldn't want to run a hyundai badge over their mb or bmw
There's definitely a third type though I don't know what percentage of the population they make up. An example is the two guys that own the company I work for. Each brings home 2-3 million year over year. One drives a GMC Yukon Denali. He could easily afford to guy higher end but won't because he doesn't want to be seen as flashy and get people wondering if his company is making a killing off of them. The other guy drove a previous gen Acura RL for a long time and just recently upgraded to an Infiniti M35 which was really pushing it for him (he told me he was hesitant to buy it but just liked the way it drove too much).

They both have an appreciation for far nicer cars and both of them know that I'm a car guy so they will talk to me about all sorts of nice cars that I know very well they could afford... but they won't do it. They desire a car that IS nice, but has a badge and look that doesn't stand out as expensive.

These new Hyundai cars would be perfect for them assuming they like the way they drive.

Also, my dad, while not nearly as wealthy as the owners of my company, is doing extremely well for himself. He's a very humble guy and has always gone out of his way to dress, act, drive, and live in ways that downplay his financial status. He's the exact opposite of the "type 2" people you mentioned that live outside their means. He does this partly because he's a frugal person in general (think Sam Walton), but also partly because he doesn't like people to perceive him as anyone who might even possibly have their nose in the air, because he's not. It's possible that a car like the Genesis would appeal to him since it's so nice but wears the Hyundai badge. I mean for what it's worth he is interested in the new 2010 Buick LaCrosse.

Last edited by Threxx; 07-16-09 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-16-09, 01:52 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
The Hyundai dealer where I live is enough to drive any luxury car buyers away. The salesmans are pushy and un-polite. The showroom had their doors open because it was too hot in there. There waiting area is consist of 2 10 year couch and a 32" CRT TV. People on forums talk about what a great deal they are and how they have improve over the years, but how many of you would really buy one. Hyundai has a long way to go before luxury cars buyers will really consider them as a true luxury brand.
Sounds on par

This is the thing, people all day long will look at photos and say how hot it is, read the reviews and say wow their high quality now and the price is so great!

But when it comes to the ownership experince, that is another story.
Old 07-16-09, 01:53 PM
LexFather

Whats amazing is we don't know have values will hold ( I predict it won't) and you can ****** a V-8 Genesis with a leather dash for mid 20s next year!

Old 07-16-09, 06:33 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Threxx
What you said indicated the models as a whole overlapped too much.
And I think that they do.
Old 07-16-09, 06:41 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
And I think that they do.
Your explanations so far between a total of 3 posts have been limited to the fact that you think they look too much alike.

Come up with something better than that or just don't bother at all.
Old 07-16-09, 07:16 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Your explanations so far between a total of 3 posts have been limited to the fact that you think they look too much alike.

Come up with something better than that or just don't bother at all.
3 bigs cars from Hyundai. Each one introduced as the epitomy of luxury and grace. All 3 occupy one slot.

Happy?
Old 07-16-09, 07:36 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

3 bigs cars from Hyundai. Each one introduced as the epitomy of luxury and grace. All 3 occupy one slot.

Happy?
No. You might as well tell me that Avalon, GS, and LS are all occupying the same space too.
Old 07-16-09, 08:55 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hyundai's definitely come a long way!! I would surely buy one of these before buying any Acura out there today.
Old 07-16-09, 09:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by J.P.
Sounds on par

This is the thing, people all day long will look at photos and say how hot it is, read the reviews and say wow their high quality now and the price is so great!

But when it comes to the ownership experince, that is another story.
Very true as I don't think anyone here has jumped on it yet.
Originally Posted by ecr527
Hyundai's definitely come a long way!! I would surely buy one of these before buying any Acura out there today.
I agree 100%

Old 07-17-09, 04:57 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

No. You might as well tell me that Avalon, GS, and LS are all occupying the same space too.
No because Toyota didn't introduce the Avalon and say this is the be all and end all of Toyotas and then go on to introduce the GS and say this is the be all and end all of Toyotas and then go on to introduce the LS and say this is the be all and end all of Toyotas.
Old 07-17-09, 05:24 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

No because Toyota didn't introduce the Avalon and say this is the be all and end all of Toyotas and then go on to introduce the GS and say this is the be all and end all of Toyotas and then go on to introduce the LS and say this is the be all and end all of Toyotas.
And Hyundai did because at the time each model was introduced, each model was the top of the line model that Hyundai offered, therefore what Hyundai said was entirely truthful and accurate.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Equus flagship Thread (5.0 V8 400+hp and LWB coming)