Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Equus flagship Thread (5.0 V8 400+hp and LWB coming)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-09, 05:00 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
I'll take the LS for $5000 more. thank you.
If you're going to go to so much effort to create an argument, you should work on getting your facts straight. As already stated or linked to several times in this thread, the Equus is expected to start at $48k and come with the equivalent of the ultra lux package for $58k. Off the top of my head the LS460L starts at ~75k and with all the trimmings gets close to 85k.

That's a difference of 27 thousand dollars... not 5 thousand. Even if you are talking about the base LS460 (no L) with no options, it's ~$65k... 17 grand more and it doesn't even have heated seats or satellite radio, much less anything else.

Also... with the pictures you compared, yes the LS interior looks nicer, but you gave an unfair comparison by taking amateur impromptu broad daylight snapped pics of the Equus to carefully manipulated studio shots taken by Lexus.
Old 07-19-09, 06:58 PM
Epik151
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Also... with the pictures you compared, yes the LS interior looks nicer, but you gave an unfair comparison by taking amateur impromptu broad daylight snapped pics of the Equus to carefully manipulated studio shots taken by Lexus.
It's awesome when people do that, right.

"Look, it's so nice."

Anyway, if you really want to see the value proposition, you can compare the Equus to the GS, which is the same price, MSRP$45,000 - $53,470.

Old 07-19-09, 07:49 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
If you're going to go to so much effort to create an argument, you should work on getting your facts straight. As already stated or linked to several times in this thread, the Equus is expected to start at $48k and come with the equivalent of the ultra lux package for $58k. Off the top of my head the LS460L starts at ~75k and with all the trimmings gets close to 85k.

That's a difference of 27 thousand dollars... not 5 thousand. Even if you are talking about the base LS460 (no L) with no options, it's ~$65k... 17 grand more and it doesn't even have heated seats or satellite radio, much less anything else.
I would hold off arguing about prices until the car actually goes on sale. There were rumors that Genesis would cost under 30k with v8 fully loaded. That isnt the case now, is it?
Old 07-20-09, 07:07 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I would hold off arguing about prices until the car actually goes on sale. There were rumors that Genesis would cost under 30k with v8 fully loaded. That isnt the case now, is it?
I wasn't the one that brought the price difference into the light of comparison... I only responded to "dunnojack" saying the LS was only 5 grand more... and I think you and I both know that's completely inaccurate. There's not a chance that the LS and Equus will only be separated by 5 grand similarly equipped unless Hyundai believes their car is meant to compete with Bentleys and just hasn't told anybody.

A loaded to the hilt Hyundai Azera is already 32 grand, and that's obviously a class or two below the Genesis with a V6. Anyone who thought a loaded V8 Genesis was going to be under 30 grand is absolutely mentally challenged or has no clue about the car market in general.

Edmunds says they think it will start at 48 and they were riding with the president of north american operations. I already stated it needs to be able to say 'starting under 50 grand' to turn heads the right way, and I think Hyundai knows this.
Old 08-08-09, 08:45 AM
LexFather

Lol at some of these luxury brands.....go Hyundai!!

5.0L V8 with 400+hp

http://www.thecarblogger.net/2....html

Old 08-08-09, 09:59 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I really think Hyundai has miscalculated their next move. The Genesis was risky but seems to pay off, and the original rumors were that the Equus would undercut the LS by roughly 10K. Now they are planning LWB models? The Equus is enough of a gamble but expecting that people will pay more money for an Equus L places them squarely into S, LS, and 7 territory and VW failed miserably at that. One could argue that VW is a more established brand name here than Hyundai as well.

A very bullish strategy but that's what the company is known for. We'll see.
Old 08-08-09, 03:00 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Now I really think Hyundai has miscalculated their next move. The Genesis was risky but seems to pay off, and the original rumors were that the Equus would undercut the LS by roughly 10K. Now they are planning LWB models? The Equus is enough of a gamble but expecting that people will pay more money for an Equus L places them squarely into S, LS, and 7 territory and VW failed miserably at that. One could argue that VW is a more established brand name here than Hyundai as well.

A very bullish strategy but that's what the company is known for. We'll see.

Yes we will see. But keep in mind that the Equus already has some recognition in it's home market and other parts of Asia and that's where the car will find greatest exposure. Hyundai didn't create this car strictly with North America in mind. Indeed, the above photo was probably taken in Korea.
Old 08-08-09, 04:13 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...could they copy the LS 600hL and more?

Old 08-08-09, 06:09 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Love it or hate it, styling is subjective to everyone (to me, exterior stinks, interior is okay), but pricing is not. NO ONE will pay $60K for a Hyundai. If Hyundai doesn't price-dump the vehicle on U.S. shores like the Genesis, then they'll have some nice metal to recycle later on when they ship these vehicles back to Korea.
Old 08-08-09, 07:55 PM
amdave
Driver

absolutely - when the LS first came to the US, it was significantly cheaper than the 7 series or S class. Now it is still cheaper, but not a whole lot.

They need to keep this about 45 or 50k until they establish the car and win JD Power surveys for a decade in a row like Lexus.
Old 08-08-09, 08:37 PM
LexFather

Could it be that this car is not about market penetration but a way to show that Hyundai is superior to Ford, Toyota, Honda even if this competes with their luxury arms?

The name "Hyundai" can only improve with these vehicles. It can mean anything from a small Rio to a full blown luxury D class car.

They are surely aware some people still won't consider a Hyundai and still consider it as 2nd rate. With these vehicles badged as Hyundai, it helps change perception.

Old 08-08-09, 09:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

people used to say its crazy to think that people would pay 45-50k for a fancy toyota ( lexus ). Look at them today. Its foolish to down play Hyudai attempt at a luxury and sport line. They have done a commendable job and have created some serious competition . I think the will be the Genesis ( pun intended) of a new future for hyudai
Old 08-08-09, 09:46 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
people used to say its crazy to think that people would pay 45-50k for a fancy toyota ( lexus ). Look at them today. Its foolish to down play Hyudai attempt at a luxury and sport line. They have done a commendable job and have created some serious competition . I think the will be the Genesis ( pun intended) of a new future for hyudai

I completely agree with this post.

If they put out a quality luxury sedan, then I will take them seriously.

I'm not saying anyone in here has this type of mentality exactly but it's starting to feel like a "lol it's a Hyundai nobody will spend that much for it" vibe

I would expect that kind of anti-brand snobbery at the bmw forums (often about...lexus!) but not here.

I think it took a good 15 years for bmw owners to consider lexus as a rival instead of a joke.

This is hyundai's start into the luxury/high powered sedan field. Take the high road and criticize the product, not the brand.
Old 08-08-09, 09:50 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

And imo the interior of the hyndai looks pretty damn luxurious. I'd still have to see it in person to confirm though.
Old 08-08-09, 10:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am impressed that they produced this kind of quality and luxury on the first generation of the vehicles. If they are this competitive now, what will they look like and drive like in 5 years

Quick Reply: Hyundai Equus flagship Thread (5.0 V8 400+hp and LWB coming)