Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Transformers II has led a longer wait list for the Camaro and overtime at GM plant

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 06:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Transformers II has led a longer wait list for the Camaro and overtime at GM plant

DETROIT — General Motors told Inside Line on Monday that it is racing to keep up with demand for the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro, adding overtime to its assembly plant in Oshawa, Ontario, where the car is built. There is a wait list for the new Camaro, triggered in part by the success of the film sequel Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

In an unexpected move for a company in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, GM added the overtime and an extra week of so-called "run time" at Oshawa to keep up with demand for the Camaro. Unlike all other GM North American plants, which are on currently on shutdown, Oshawa is up and running. "Oshawa goes on break next week," said GM spokesman Adam Denison on Monday. "Just for one week. It should not affect demand."

GM will not disclose how many Camaros it is producing per week. However, Denison told Inside Line that the hottest version of the new Camaro is a black SS model. "We think this may stem from the SEMA Black Concept, which was the most popular GM car at SEMA last year," he said. The Camaro Black Concept features a matte-black hood, ground effects, a rear diffuser and red-glowing HID headlamp halo rings. It is powered by a 300-horsepower 3.6-liter V6. One in four orders for the 2010 Camaro is black at this point. Denison said 70 percent of the orders are for the SS trim level.

GM is anticipating that the Camaro should hit around 9,000 sales for June. GM sold 5,463 Camaros in May. "We are anticipating being neck and neck with Mustang," Denison said.

Denison could not say exactly how long the wait is for a Camaro. "There are a number of factors that weigh in," he said, "such as if the car has a sunroof, SS or V6." Edmunds.com reports that the V6 Camaros, which start at $22,245, are selling for about $500 above sticker. Some V8 models of the Camaro, which start at $30,245, command a $2,500 premium.

GM said it has little control over the prices charged by its dealers, since they are independent. "They are exercising the laws of supply and demand," said Denison.

His advice to consumers who want to get in line for a Camaro: "Check around various dealerships and ask who is getting an allocation and when. Or they can ask what the wait list is like."
Old 06-29-09, 06:50 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't see how they can have no control over the prices that its dealers charge.
Old 06-29-09, 06:59 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they put up so much hype with the Camaro and it seems to be paying off well.
Old 06-29-09, 07:35 PM
LexFather

I already really like the vehicle but seeing Bumblebee in action yesterday had my girlfriend and I drooling over the car.

Great product placement by GM

Old 06-29-09, 08:02 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I already really like the vehicle but seeing Bumblebee in action yesterday had my girlfriend and I drooling over the car.

Great product placement by GM
I have wondered why they don't just do a Bumblebee edition of it. No corny decals, badges or stickers. Just make one with that Bumblebee paint job.
Old 06-29-09, 08:07 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by speedflex
I have wondered why they don't just do a Bumblebee edition of it. No corny decals, badges or stickers. Just make one with that Bumblebee paint job.
like the charger...
Attached Thumbnails Transformers II has led a longer wait list for the Camaro and overtime at GM plant-07dodgechargersrt8superbeepsngr-resized.jpg   Transformers II has led a longer wait list for the Camaro and overtime at GM plant-2007-super-bee-dodge-charger-srt8.jpg   Transformers II has led a longer wait list for the Camaro and overtime at GM plant-dodge-charger-srt8-superbee_07.jpg  
Old 06-29-09, 08:39 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Nevermind...
http://jalopnik.com/5263391/bumblebe...rting-june-1st
Old 06-29-09, 09:13 PM
LexFather

Old 06-29-09, 10:48 PM
daelo74
Driver

so they finally have a product that people actually want, and they can't produce enough of them
Old 06-30-09, 07:05 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I am calling my local dealer today! I Sooooo want one!
Old 06-30-09, 07:51 AM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Why are they letting dealerships overcharge for the car?

They need to get it under control, because it is turning a lot of consumers off
Old 06-30-09, 07:57 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by daelo74
so they finally have a product that people actually want, and they can't produce enough of them
Right... because if they were ramped up to produce a ton they would be the whipping boy of everyone saying how out of touch they are building the retro V8 guzzlers in this new day and age.

Better to be in a position like they are in. Even Nintendo couldn't/wouldn't build enough Wii consoles!

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
GM said it has little control over the prices charged by its dealers, since they are independent. "They are exercising the laws of supply and demand," said Denison.

His advice to consumers who want to get in line for a Camaro: "Check around various dealerships and ask who is getting an allocation and when. Or they can ask what the wait list is like."
And this stupid practice continues. "Who is getting an allocation"?!? Why do I care? Why can't I walk into any Chevy dealer and order the car I want whether they have an allocation or not?!? I believe this is one reason why they don't sell more units total. I've seen too many dealers with allocations attempt to overcharge while the dealers willing to deal simply have a lower allocation and you have to wait.